ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Paris

adcoop

Jan 10, 2004
…..scored major points with me today. Managed his team by sitting his best player and not raising his voice one time. Showed that he will try to go win whether he has his best player or not. Sets expectations and culture without a bunch of yelling and cussing for show. Good win today and we at least have a chance of not being DFL in the league.

He still isn’t a good coach
Coaching is not all about X’s and O’s. It’s about managing people and building team culture as well. GG has been taking bad shots and breaking plays lately. A lot of coaches would have let him slide with it because they wanted to keep the 5 star recruit happy. Also, some of these criticisms of Paris’ coaching is just flat out wrong. We get shots in the lane and around the free throw line often. It’s not coaching when players fail to make them, or worse, fail to shoot them. Also, the 1-3-1 wrinkle Paris has used over the past four games has given teams problems. When you see a kid going 1 on 1 it’s not always about the coach not providing structure. Sometimes, it’s about a kid breaking a play. My one criticism, and it’s not really a criticism, is that he needs to get GG more in the areas that he gets Hayden Brown. GG can hit 3s, but he should be more of an inside-outside guy IMO.

Last edited:
GG is not agressive at this time. One and done? Surly not going any where else? Unless he improves. Seems like it is his way or he hits the highy way .

Reactions: Buzzkill1
GG is not agressive at this time. One and done? Surly not going any where else? Unless he improves. Seems like it is his way or he hits the highy way .
GG will be fine and he still may be a lottery pick. The NBA picks on potential now and the fact that he played most of this year as a 17 year old will be taken into consideration. He is just going through the growing pains of a young player not quite understanding how to play within the framework of an offense. He could use another college year, but 6’9” guys with his size/speed combination don’t grow on trees. He will land on his feet whatever his choice may be. Just needs to mature a little bit.

…..scored major points with me today. Managed his team by sitting his best player and not raising his voice one time. Showed that he will try to go win whether he has his best player or not. Sets expectations and culture without a bunch of yelling and cussing for show. Good win today and we at least have a chance of not being DFL in the league.
We’re obviously on opposite sides of the Paris hire, which is fine. I enjoy and respect different perspectives.

I’m glad we won today. There are obvious chemistry issues between GG and Paris. The team responded well today. However let’s not forget this is going to go down as one of the worst seasons in South Carolina basketball history. It’s right up there with Darrin Horns and Steve Newtons last seasons.

I’ll give Paris credit for standing up to GG. Not every coach would. I’ll give Paris credit for making the team competitive over the last 3-4 games.

But it’s also the honeymoon phase and it looks like our honeymoon has gone about as great as a week long stay in Gaston, South Carolina.

We may not beat one team that will make the NCAA tournament. Kentucky and Clemson are the most likely but they are on the bubble at best. Ole Miss has two conference wins—us in a game we played like absolute crap and they just won at Georgia with Georgias best player in concussion protocol. They’re bad and we will likely see them in the play in round of the SEC tournament.

We got our pants pulled down by George Washington, Davidson, Furman, Vanderbilt, East Carolina, UAB, Colorado State and Richmond. UAB and Furman might make the tournament. The rest of these teams are bad. We survived a horrible Georgetown team that will certainly fire Patrick Ewing at seasons end, if not sooner.

Had we shown up in these games we would have had a realistic chance to be around .500. We still would not have sniffed the tournament, but we would have a little more momentum.

The next 2-3 years will dictate if Paris is the right guy. But I would say you are in a very small minority of people that are having positive thoughts about the hire at this point.

We’re obviously on opposite sides of the Paris hire, which is fine. I enjoy and respect different perspectives.

I’m glad we won today. There are obvious chemistry issues between GG and Paris. The team responded well today. However let’s not forget this is going to go down as one of the worst seasons in South Carolina basketball history. It’s right up there with Darrin Horns and Steve Newtons last seasons.

I’ll give Paris credit for standing up to GG. Not every coach would. I’ll give Paris credit for making the team competitive over the last 3-4 games.

But it’s also the honeymoon phase and it looks like our honeymoon has gone about as great as a week long stay in Gaston, South Carolina.

We may not beat one team that will make the NCAA tournament. Kentucky and Clemson are the most likely but they are on the bubble at best. Ole Miss has two conference wins—us in a game we played like absolute crap and they just won at Georgia with Georgias best player in concussion protocol. They’re bad and we will likely see them in the play in round of the SEC tournament.

We got our pants pulled down by George Washington, Davidson, Furman, Vanderbilt, East Carolina, UAB, Colorado State and Richmond. UAB and Furman might make the tournament. The rest of these teams are bad. We survived a horrible Georgetown team that will certainly fire Patrick Ewing at seasons end, if not sooner.

Had we shown up in these games we would have had a realistic chance to be around .500. We still would not have sniffed the tournament, but we would have a little more momentum.

The next 2-3 years will dictate if Paris is the right guy. But I would say you are in a very small minority of people that are having positive thoughts about the hire at this point.
We are really not on opposite sides of the spectrum. I have just chosen to let Frank Martin firing go, let the coach hiring process go, and give the man a shot with an open mind. Of course, this year has been terrible. However, I expected that from the beginning. All of your experienced players leave and you are left leaning on a 17 year old kid that should be playing at Ridge View High School as the cornerstone of your program. If you look into the history of reclassifications, most don’t go well. Many have a rough 1st year and end up transferring. In fact, GG has been better than I expected. Nonetheless, the immaturity in his game shows up a lot. The only other aggressive offensive player we have on the team is Meechie and this is the first time that he has started on the college level too. 2 other starters come from low mid-majors. Our Centers never started or got much playing time at the schools at the schools they transferred from. So, this is our team. We were bound to struggle. The purpose of this thread was to draw attention to them playing better over the past two weeks and Paris leaning on GG a little bit to play a more controlled game. Something that GG will thank Paris for in the long run if he takes it the right way.

We are really not on opposite sides of the spectrum. I have just chosen to let Frank Martin firing go, let the coach hiring process go, and give the man a shot with an open mind. Of course, this year has been terrible. However, I expected that from the beginning. All of your experienced players leave and you are left leaning on a 17 year old kid that should be playing at Ridge View High School as the cornerstone of your program. If you look into the history of reclassifications, most don’t go well. Many have a rough 1st year and end up transferring. In fact, GG has been better than I expected. Nonetheless, the immaturity in his game shows up a lot. The only other aggressive offensive player we have on the team is Meechie and this is the first time that he has started on the college level too. 2 other starters come from low mid-majors. Our Centers never started or got much playing time at the schools at the schools they transferred from. So, this is our team. We were bound to struggle. The purpose of this thread was to draw attention to them playing better over the past two weeks and Paris leaning on GG a little bit to play a more controlled game. Something that GG will thank Paris for in the long run if he takes it the right way.
Definitely agree GG needs to mature. The live stream on social media was cringeworthy. But with all the foolishness of Kyrie and some others in the NBA, I wonder if they’ll even care about this.

I have my doubts that GG will warm up to the coaching. A benching two games after the social media rant doesn’t bode well for where I think their relationship is.

I’ve acknowledged they’ve been more competitive over the last two weeks. Some of that is the schedule lightening up, some of it is coaching and some of it is us playing a little better.

I still have positive thoughts about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT