ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles at LSU done??? Why....

sosgamecock

Sep 18, 2008
would Tanner not hire him today if this turns out to be true?? He is a winner and a household name among every high school kid and coach in the southeast. Not exactly sure of age (late 50s?) but I do not see that as a negative. We could get 10 years out of him and I bet be in so much better shape when he retired than we are today. Miles is a proven winner.

would Tanner not hire him today if this turns out to be true?? He is a winner and a household name among every high school kid and coach in the southeast. Not exactly sure of age (late 50s?) but I do not see that as a negative. We could get 10 years out of him and I bet be in so much better shape when he retired than we are today. Miles is a proven winner.
NO. Do you forget his wonderful play calling against Clemson at the Chick-fil-a bowl? 3 minutes left, Clemson has no timeouts and he runs 3 passing plays in a row, rather than running out the clock. He has lost several games just with his bone-head play calling. No thank you.

I'd admit Les Miles would be THE major hire for usc. It would bring credibility in recruits eyes instantly! I know a lot of usc fans want Herman only because of what he as done this year at Houston, with someone elses recruits mind you. But Les Miles would definitely be my pick of the litter at this point.

NO. Do you forget his wonderful play calling against Clemson at the Chick-fil-a bowl? 3 minutes left, Clemson has no timeouts and he runs 3 passing plays in a row, rather than running out the clock. He has lost several games just with his bone-head play calling. No thank you.
Oh god. You are so right. He gave away that game. All there was to it. Gift wrapped.

I will concede that Miles is the Head Coach and it ultimately falls on him; however, those calls were made by his OC (Greg Studrawa), not him. As a result of those bone-head calls, Studrawa was quickly demoted and Cam Cameron immediately brought in to fix the deficiency. That is what head coaches should do, and he did it. That is also what has NOT happened at USC over the last few years.

I will concede that Miles is the Head Coach and it ultimately falls on him; however, those calls were made by his OC (Greg Studrawa), not him. As a result of those bone-head calls, Studrawa was quickly demoted and Cam Cameron immediately brought in to fix the deficiency. That is what head coaches should do, and he did it. That is also what has NOT happened at USC over the last few years.
C'mon man. After the first pass he should have collared his OC and told him what to do. He is Head Coach after all.

Reactions: uscbeckham
Ricky Bobby said something profound in Talladega Nights (yeah I know he's fictional, but..)

"If you ain't first you're last."

There isn't any tolerance left at schools like LSU, Florida, Texas, FSU, etc for anything less than Saban or Meyer level success.

You don't get it done, then they look until they get Saban or Meyer success. No guarantee they'll get it, but swinging for the fences is better than going 2-7 against a team (Alabama) that has the championships that are rightfully yours. You have the recruiting grounds. You have the money.

Anything less than regular championships (again with the Meyer and Saban) then you have the wrong coach. No if's, no and's, no but's.

That's my understanding of the thought process anyway.

And I kind of agree with some parts of it. I don't expect to win 3 titles in 10 years or whatever Saban is working on. But I want the kind of team that could beat a Florida that is making a championship run under McIlwain. Or beat Georgia so I can drink the sweet tears of a bulldog crying.

I just don't think Miles is the kind of coach that can beat a team with better players. And I don't think he can change. Fisher reportedly left LSU because of Miles' meddling. And the offense has been a dumpster fire against any team the offensive line can't bulldoze like Bama.

Miles is the one constant in all that. Whatever his strengths as a coach I don't think he is the man for this job.

You can't spin that one. MIles could have prevented the second and third down passes.

If it comes down to Tom Herman and Les Miles I would have to go with Herman. Les is just too dumb in clutch situations.

Anybody who wants to hire Les Miles @ Carolina.........IS AN IDIOT!

9617853.jpg

I get the whole "he's too old" argument, but to say we don't want someone like Miles because we're better than that or that he isn't a good coach is a stretch for me. The man has a .775 winning percentage (110-32) while at LSU. We are not "above" him.

Reactions: sosgamecock
I get the whole "he's too old" argument, but to say we don't want someone like Miles because we're better than that or that he isn't a good coach is a stretch for me. The man has a .775 winning percentage (110-32) while at LSU. We are not "above" him.

Take things to a logical conclusion. He can't beat Alabama which he has equal talent to in a lot of years.

You think he can win against a team like Florida which will totally outclass us in a few years, regardless of how good a recruiter the next coach is? You think there is anything in him that will let him upset a better team?

What I see is a man who knows how to do one thing on offense: Let the piledrivers on the offensive line knock people around, and give the ball to the tailback.

Only thing is when he can't do that (see Bama) he has nothing.

So if Les Miles came here, how would you expect it to play out? What would you expect to see on a yearly basis?

What's more I don't think any premier program would hire him. You can't win it all at LSU consistently, no way you are doing it at Texas, at Georgia, or any of the other usual candidates.

It's Herman's world now, and Les Miles is just hanging around in it now.

Take things to a logical conclusion. He can't beat Alabama which he has equal talent to in a lot of years.

You think he can win against a team like Florida which will totally outclass us in a few years, regardless of how good a recruiter the next coach is? You think there is anything in him that will let him upset a better team?

What I see is a man who knows how to do one thing on offense: Let the piledrivers on the offensive line knock people around, and give the ball to the tailback.

Only thing is when he can't do that (see Bama) he has nothing.

So if Les Miles came here, how would you expect it to play out? What would you expect to see on a yearly basis?

What's more I don't think any premier program would hire him. You can't win it all at LSU consistently, no way you are doing it at Texas, at Georgia, or any of the other usual candidates.

It's Herman's world now, and Les Miles is just hanging around in it now.
Don't misunderstand, he's not my #1 choice, but I don't think we are at a place to turn our noses up at someone like him.

Less has been underachieving for several years at LSU. He's not the man for our job.
This comment right here. We are
Less has been underachieving for several years at LSU. He's not the man for our job.
This comment right here. I can't believe the number of people in this post that want to hire Les Miles. But that's the South Carolina way hire a coach that's being fired for losing and under achieving. How can our program get better if we hire a coach that's being fired for not doing more with all the NFL talent on his teams? More players drafted than any other college in football the last several years and not winning championships. Not being able to evolved his offense and that was pointed out repeatedly this weekend.

And that's what some people want here? Plus he's on a 3 game conference losing streak but we want him here.

Name a qb that Les has developed since he has been there. If Metzenberger hadn't got caught cheating at Georgia, he would have never gone there. Aren't you sick of undeveloped quarterbacks?

This comment right here. We are

This comment right here. I can't believe the number of people in this post that want to hire Les Miles. But that's the South Carolina way hire a coach that's being fired for losing and under achieving. How can our program get better if we hire a coach that's being fired for not doing more with all the NFL talent on his teams? More players drafted than any other college in football the last several years and not winning championships. Not being able to evolved his offense and that was pointed out repeatedly this weekend.

And that's what some people want here? Plus he's on a 3 game conference losing streak but we want him here.
We're on a 1 of the last 12 conference skid. At this point, a guy fired for NOT WINNING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS is a step up for this school. He's not being fired for losing, he being fired for not winning the big one OFTEN ENOUGH.

Reactions: Clevercock3
We're on a 1 of the last 12 conference skid. At this point, a guy fired for NOT WINNING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS is a step up for this school. He's not being fired for losing, he being fired for not winning the big one OFTEN ENOUGH.
He's being considered for termination for not developing the talent he has, and not doing more with the talent he has, leakage of top instate recruits to other universities and not evolving his offense in ways that will make LSU more successful. See Alabama and Lane Kiffin as a reference They talked about it a lot on TV this weekend, Booger McFarland mentioned it several times this weekend on the SEC network.

Last edited:
"Name a qb that Les has developed since he has been there. If Metzenberger hadn't got caught cheating at Georgia, he would have never gone there. Aren't you sick of undeveloped quarterbacks?"

Same thing can be said for Spurrier at Carolina; and QB's were his specialty.

Not sold on Herman; not sure about Les. I see lots of positives but also some negatives with Les. He's had some bonehead calls in games, but he's also won a ton of games with crazy calls.

That's why they call him the Mad Hatter.

Miles conference record has been in steady decline for the last 4-5 years. Evidently that's unacceptable at LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT