ADVERTISEMENT

Let us now praise great men

Today, only a few good men would have the courage to stand up to evil...

You just can’t find a greater generation of men than these men who fought in World War II

Good thing it happened then. Can’t imagine a bunch of “men” with a man bun, romper, wanting to go to the women’s restroom, etc....beating any other country today except for maybe in Call of Duty video games.

Reactions: PC31 and Jpcooper
Thanks for posting, Harvard. It seems there's a tendency nowadays to think about the incredible events of WWII as if they happened hundreds of years ago. 74 years really isn't that long ago, but it's a shame how little most of us know about that time.

For those who aren't big readers of history, I highly recommend watching Band of Brothers from beginning to end again. Required viewing, if you've never seen it. My wife and I watched it recently for the first time since it originally aired. I really had to fight back tears, sometimes unsuccessfully, on a number of occasions. The parts that tore me up the most were the interviews with the actual heroes, usually near the end of each episode. Grandfatherly looking guys in their late 70s and 80s at that point, they had spent the last 50 years of their lives in quite ordinary manners as school teachers, businessmen, heavy equipment operators, and every other type of career under the sun. And here they were, talking quietly and matter-of-factly about how they, literally, helped save the world when they were in their 20s. I suspect all of those interviewed or dead now.

If you haven't gone to see Pearl Harbor, be sure to make this on your bucket list...

We talk about these players in recruiting, but these kids at Pearl Harbor had to grow up in a hurry... Ages 15, 16 17 year old kids, names on the wall, photos to see the faces of these kids...

Battleship Missouri Memorial
Historic Ford Island, Pearl Harbor
63 Cowpens St.
Honolulu, HI 96818

http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/pearl-harbor/battleship-missouri

Last edited:
If you haven't gone to see Pearl Harbor, be sure to make this on your bucket list...

We talk about these players in recruiting, but these kids at Pearl Harbor had to grow up in a hurry... Ages 15, 16 17 year old kids, names on the wall, photos to see the faces of these kids...

Battleship Missouri Memorial
Historic Ford Island, Pearl Harbor
63 Cowpens St.
Honolulu, HI 96818

http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/pearl-harbor/battleship-missouri
Been there. It's sobering and somber.

Today, only a few good men would have the courage to stand up to evil...

You just can’t find a greater generation of men than these men who fought in World War II

Ive been to Iraq and Afghanistan as a consultant to the military and I can tell you there are many good men and women defending our principles with distinction there. Don’t sell this generation too short just bc you don’t agree or understand them.

So proud of these Men, They would have been Chastised by the left this day and age.. Thanks to those great men, France and England are still France and England, Not Germany..
giphy.gif

Ive been to Iraq and Afghanistan as a consultant to the military and I can tell you there are many good men and women defending our principles with distinction there. Don’t sell this generation too short just bc you don’t agree or understand them.

I see what's out there and this new generation is all in for ACO or A scary....

Reactions: cockofdawn
December 1950, I was in Hungnam North Korea in the evacuation of our Marines and Army forces from the Chosin Reservoir where they had been trapped by the Chinese who threatened to overrun them. If we had not had control of the air from our carriers, we might have lost the entire force then and there. The weather was so cold that many just froze to death where they stood or sat, so worn out they could not take another step.

We often say that we do not leave our dead on the field but there are still men in trenches at the reservoir dug by a bulldozer as the ground was too frozen to dig by hand. The forgotten war it seems but I can never forget it. There are a couple documentaries on ROKU that do a credible job of showing the story but you will probably not see the truckloads of frozen bodies contorted in every imaginable way.

Most people seem to at least know something about the Battle of the Bulge but how many have even heard of he Battle at Chosin which was my introduction to war at 19. I'm no hero but I saw many of them there and at other places in that cold grey land.

Knee jerk patriots get no slack from me nor does anyone who interprets every snip of news thorough a political filter. "Band Of Brothers" does a great job of showing what the grunt really is fighting for.

December 1950, I was in Hungnam North Korea in the evacuation of our Marines and Army forces from the Chosin Reservoir where they had been trapped by the Chinese who threatened to overrun them. If we had not had control of the air from our carriers, we might have lost the entire force then and there. The weather was so cold that many just froze to death where they stood or sat, so worn out they could not take another step.

We often say that we do not leave our dead on the field but there are still men in trenches at the reservoir dug by a bulldozer as the ground was too frozen to dig by hand. The forgotten war it seems but I can never forget it. There are a couple documentaries on ROKU that do a credible job of showing the story but you will probably not see the truckloads of frozen bodies contorted in every imaginable way.

Most people seem to at least know something about the Battle of the Bulge but how many have even heard of he Battle at Chosin which was my introduction to war at 19. I'm no hero but I saw many of them there and at other places in that cold grey land.

Knee jerk patriots get no slack from me nor does anyone who interprets every snip of news thorough a political filter. "Band Of Brothers" does a great job of showing what the grunt really is fighting for.
Thank you for your service

In 1950 my father was given command of K company 38th infantry 2nd then given command of 3rd battalion 38th infantry. He was serving as the rear guard for the 2nd divisions withdrawal into South Korea. He was wounded for the fourth time in the Massacre Vally and into the Punch Bowl region.

In 1950 my father was given command of K company 38th infantry 2nd then given command of 3rd battalion 38th infantry. He was serving as the rear guard for the 2nd divisions withdrawal into South Korea. He was wounded for the fourth time in the Massacre Vally and into the Punch Bowl region.
I still have a heavy plastic 3D topi map of these areas that he gave me

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Good thing it happened then. Can’t imagine a bunch of “men” with a man bun, romper, wanting to go to the women’s restroom, etc....beating any other country today except for maybe in Call of Duty video games.
You think this is what today's military is made of? Come on man. Don't categorize the many by the foibles of the few.

Reactions: Tiger Artillery 12

Your father is in the guard that I respect along with those who are part of "The Chosin Few". I am not eligible to wear that badge as I was not in the march down that dreadful valley but only helping to get them on to ships and out of there. The defeat that we suffered in NK from the Chinese makes up MaCarthur's epitaph for me. His conviction that he knew more than all those bringing intelligence to him caused thousands of unnecessary deaths of our troops. I have learned to beware of such people in high places. Our republic is in great danger and I am not certain we have enough right minded people who are willing to lay it on the line to save us from falling over the edge into despotic rule. I hope this is unwarranted pessimism and that enough brave citizens will step up to right the ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
Thanks for posting, Harvard. It seems there's a tendency nowadays to think about the incredible events of WWII as if they happened hundreds of years ago. 74 years really isn't that long ago, but it's a shame how little most of us know about that time.

For those who aren't big readers of history, I highly recommend watching Band of Brothers from beginning to end again. Required viewing, if you've never seen it. My wife and I watched it recently for the first time since it originally aired. I really had to fight back tears, sometimes unsuccessfully, on a number of occasions. The parts that tore me up the most were the interviews with the actual heroes, usually near the end of each episode. Grandfatherly looking guys in their late 70s and 80s at that point, they had spent the last 50 years of their lives in quite ordinary manners as school teachers, businessmen, heavy equipment operators, and every other type of career under the sun. And here they were, talking quietly and matter-of-factly about how they, literally, helped save the world when they were in their 20s. I suspect all of those interviewed or dead now.
An estimated 70 to 85 MILLION people died as a result of that war. Let that number sink in.

So proud of these Men, They would have been Chastised by the left this day and age.. Thanks to those great men, France and England are still France and England, Not Germany..
giphy.gif
And England is still England. They were losing the war to Germany until we jumped in they don't call those men the Greatest Generation for nothing.

And England is still England. They were losing the war to Germany until we jumped in they don't call those men the Greatest Generation for nothing.
To be fair, England was only one of 4 countries who's standing Army/Navy in Europe that actually fought against the Germans. The other 3 being Poland, Russia and Greece. All the others either acquiesced, became neutral or joined. Some who officially declared neutrality actually helped in the German war effort delivering war material, such as Sweden. There were of course resistance fighters from occupied countries
Give England credit at one point they stood totally alone and when defeat seemed almost certain they still held out.

You think this is what today's military is made of? Come on man. Don't categorize the many by the foibles of the few.

No not taking a swipe at the military. Have the highest respect for them. The reality is a lot of WW2 soldiers were common citizens called in to war and trained to be soldiers.

I don’t believe there are as many current civilians capable of doing what those men did then.

My father-in-law just missed WWI, but he served as one of the commanders of the USS Missouri in 1952. There is a small area onboard the Missouri dedicated for the Korea war... The only picture of the whole crew shown is the 1952 USS Missouri crew and he's in it... It's kind of cool to see that...

To be fair, England was only one of 4 countries who's standing Army/Navy in Europe that actually fought against the Germans. The other 3 being Poland, Russia and Greece. All the others either acquiesced, became neutral or joined. Some who officially declared neutrality actually helped in the German war effort delivering war material, such as Sweden. There were of course resistance fighters from occupied countries
Give England credit at one point they stood totally alone and when defeat seemed almost certain they still held out.
Churchill deserves credit for that firm stance. The Darkest Hour did a pretty good job last year of describing that dark time for England. Churchill was under tremendous pressure from weak-kneed politicians to sign a "peace agreement" with Hitler. But Churchill recognized that the people of the UK had a stronger will to fight tyranny than the politicians did. They just needed somebody they could believe in to lead them in that fight.

Churchill deserves credit for that firm stance. The Darkest Hour did a pretty good job last year of describing that dark time for England. Churchill was under tremendous pressure from weak-kneed politicians to sign a "peace agreement" with Hitler. But Churchill recognized that the people of the UK had a stronger will to fight tyranny than the politicians did. They just needed somebody they could believe in to lead them in that fight.
A pretty good depiction but not entirely accurate, the Labour Party which was very anti Nazism, which does not get enough credit in the film for siding with Churchill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT