ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis Grizzard said it best!

coolcock#

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Myrtle Beach
I read this every year before the Georgia game. Go GAMECOCKS!!!

Nothing Could Be Finer Than to Be Out of Carolina
GRIZZARD, LEWIS Lewis Grizzard STAFF
Lewis Grizzard writes a column about the recent University of Georgia and South Carolina game in which the Georgia Bulldogs were defeated 23 to 10. He says he has been whipped before, but never like this. South Carolina outdressed us, outcheered us, outsang us (at one point when the rout was evident, 40,000 people began to sing, "Heeeeey, Baby, I Wanna to Know-o-o, Will You Be My Girl?") and, of course, outplayed us. COLUMBIA, S.C. - This wasn't the worst experience of my life, but it did move into the top 10.

First of all, it was 311 degrees in Williams-Brice Stadium. The only place it's ever been hotter is on Mars and one July afternoon in Macon.

My clothes were totally soaked with perspiration. Small children pointed at me and a kind woman sitting behind me put ice down my back to keep me from fainting, which I wish I had done so I could have missed the game.

I've been whipped before, but never like this. South Carolina outdressed us, outcheered us, outsang us (at one point when the rout was evident, 40,000 people began to sing, "Heeeeey, Baby, I Wanna to Know-o-o, Will You Be My Girl?") and, of course, outplayed us.

South Carolina 23, Georgia 10. It wasn't that close. It could have been 40-0.

Where's Secretary of Defense?

Remember how bad Georgia's pass defense has been? It was worse than that Saturday. Here is something I don't understand:

When the Bulldogs pass, we send out one receiver and he goes down about six yards and then cuts toward the sideline with seven defenders around him.

When the teams pass against us, they send out 14 guys and then go all over the field and stand there while the quarterback picks out who he wants to throw the ball to.

Why is that?

Many left here Saturday with malice in their hearts toward the Georgia coaching staff.

"Where is our defense?" a man wanted to know.

"It's on the sidelines in Statesboro," said another, referring, of course, to the long-departed Erk Russell, Georgia's former secretary of defense.

"And where was our great rushing attack?" was another question.

"It's simple," came an explanation. "South Carolina put nine men on the line and dared us to pass. Georgia is to passing what Moammar Gadhafi is to world peace."

Clemson Win Doesn't Help

Even Tech getting beat by Clemson didn't help.

"How can Clemson winning anything make you feel better?" a fan asked.

And now, for the worst part of it all.

How we ran out of beer I'll never know. I've been going to football games for three decades, and one thing that's never happened to me is when I got back to the truck, we were out of beer.

"I thought you were going to put some more beer in the ice chest," I said to my companion.

"I was in charge of the chicken. You were supposed to get the beer," he said.

What we did was shameful, but it had to be done. We sent our women over to a group of South Carolina fans to beg. They came back with a six-pack.

Somewhere eastbound out on Interstate 20 as we drove home - heads down, backs hurting - a fellow in the back seat put it all into perspective:

"Where was Gilbert," he asked, "when we needed him?"

Copyright 1988 The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution

This rhetorical question will always ring true, "'How can Clemson winning anything make you feel better?' a fan asked."

Oh, and thanks for posting this! I was there and Grizzard was right -- the game felt like we won in a blowout. I think UGA was ranked #8 at the time.

Lewis Grizzard writes a column about the recent University of Georgia and South Carolina game in which the Georgia Bulldogs were defeated 23 to 10. He says he has been whipped before, but never like this. South Carolina outdressed us, outcheered us, outsang us (at one point when the rout was evident, 40,000 people began to sing, "Heeeeey, Baby, I Wanna to Know-o-o, Will You Be My Girl?") and, of course, outplayed us. COLUMBIA, S.C. - This wasn't the worst experience of my life, but it did move into the top 10.

First of all, it was 311 degrees in Williams-Brice Stadium. The only place it's ever been hotter is on Mars and one July afternoon in Macon.

My clothes were totally soaked with perspiration. Small children pointed at me and a kind woman sitting behind me put ice down my back to keep me from fainting, which I wish I had done so I could have missed the game.

I've been whipped before, but never like this. South Carolina outdressed us, outcheered us, outsang us (at one point when the rout was evident, 40,000 people began to sing, "Heeeeey, Baby, I Wanna to Know-o-o, Will You Be My Girl?") and, of course, outplayed us.

Remember how bad Georgia's pass defense has been? It was worse than that Saturday. Here is something I don't understand:

When the Bulldogs pass, we send out one receiver and he goes down about six yards and then cuts toward the sideline with seven defenders around him.

When the teams pass against us, they send out 14 guys and then go all over the field and stand there while the quarterback picks out who he wants to throw the ball to.

Why is that?

Many left here Saturday with malice in their hearts toward the Georgia coaching staff.

"It's on the sidelines in Statesboro," said another, referring, of course, to the long-departed Erk Russell, Georgia's former secretary of defense.

"It's simple," came an explanation. "South Carolina put nine men on the line and dared us to pass. Georgia is to passing what Moammar Gadhafi is to world peace."

Clemson Win Doesn't Help

How we ran out of beer I'll never know. I've been going to football games for three decades, and one thing that's never happened to me is when I got back to the truck, we were out of beer.

"I thought you were going to put some more beer in the ice chest," I said to my companion.

What we did was shameful, but it had to be done. We sent our women over to a group of South Carolina fans to beg. They came back with a six-pack.

Somewhere eastbound out on Interstate 20 as we drove home - heads down, backs hurting - a fellow in the back seat put it all into perspective:

I was at that game when I was a student at UGA. Hot as hell, and Carolina played lights out. That game was when I first realized the USC fanbase is very loud.

Why is that?

Clemson Win Doesn't Help

Thanks for sharing that.

Lewis Grizzard is one of my literary heroes. I probably saw the typewriter this was written on at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, where his typewriter (or one of them) is enshrined.

Why is that?

Clemson Win Doesn't Help

Thanks for sharing that.

Lewis Grizzard is one of my literary heroes. I probably saw the typewriter this was written on at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, where his typewriter (or one of them) is enshrined.
I have many of his books that I will cherish until I die. Many laughs while I read them. Spoke to him at a book signing not so long before he passed. Told some funny stories when I mentioned I was a Gamecock fan...

Lewis was also a good comedian as well as journalist. He made several tapes and I believe he even performed some stand up routines from time to time. In one of those he described going to the Dr. The Dr asked him if he had any history of hemophilia in his family. He replied, "well I have this first cousin named Bruce that we ain't too sure about."

I was there. It was my sophomore year in high school.
I was there as-well!! 'Twas my Jr. year at Carolina, and I was sitting in the lower west side of the south EZ, Very Near the Home Locker-room entrance/exit area, and I saw Robert Brooks make the most WONDERFUL catch that, to THIS DAY, is still the most WONDERFUL CATCH I have EVER SEEN @ WILLYB!!!!...

Why is that?

Clemson Win Doesn't Help

Great reminder!! Lewis was the best

Reactions: coolcock#
That Dog’ll Bite You ~ Lewis Grizzard

“Got to tell the dog story. There’s somebody left who hasn’t heard the dog story.

We are playing Auburn. Sanford Stadium. National Television. Winner wins the Southeastern Conference; goes to the Sugar Bowl.

85,000 people jammed into Sanford Stadium. National television audience. This game is on the Armed Service Network. People in Switzerland are seeing this ballgame. Going everywhere.

The band cranks up “Glory, Glory to Ole Georgia” and our team comes running out. 85,000 stand as one.

We are led by our gallant mascot, UGA-U-G-A. What a dog! What a gorgeous dog. What a symbol of ferocity. But UGA ain’t real smart. UGA did not realize he was at a football game. Nor did he realize he was on national television, and was going into living rooms the width and breadth of this great nation.

And there, in front of all them people, he began to lick himself where dogs occasionally want to lick themselves, ok?

We don’t have to get any more graphic than that.

Bubba an’ Earl sittin’ on the fifty.

Bubba sees the dog, punches earl and said, ‘Earl, look at that dog. Dadgum, I wish I could do that.’

Earl said, ‘ Bubba, that dog’ll bite you!’”

Lewis made an appearance in Asheville one time and I didn't get to go. I regret it to this day.

After way too many years being stuck with tin cans, Lewis Grizzard was almost singlehandedly responsible for bringing long neck beer back from near oblivion. Nature gave him a heart that was in no way able to keep up with the physical exertions required by his spirit.
Lewis Grizzard. As a 54 year old Gamecock grad, I must say the following in regards to Lewis Grizzard:

As a truly bred Southern Dude that was born down here sometime in the 50's and/or 60's, there is simply No way you can really like the guy, no more than you could you just despise nor hate him!! Nah, when it came to Lewis Grizzard, ya simply could not help but love the man as if he were your brother! For he wrote short and simple little things that hit home for ya no matter who nor where ya are!! Lewis Grizzard truly was one of us, and in damned near every possible perspective in regards to our positives and most certainly our negatives as-well-as our imperfections.

WADR, and certainly JMHO,

Gaimcock

Reactions: coolcock#
I was there as well, half way up the east upper and yes, it was hot as hell but not unusually hot. Routine for eary September. Robert Brooks was what I remember about that game. Made the mistake of going to the next game at GT. Was with my girlfriend. The only game I ever left early

I was there as well, half way up the east upper and yes, it was hot as hell but not unusually hot. Routine for eary September. Robert Brooks was what I remember about that game. Made the mistake of going to the next game at GT. Was with my girlfriend. The only game I ever left early
I was at the Ga. Tech game myself! Damn shame it was only us fans that showed up for that game, 'cause our team sure as heck didn't. In fact, if I correctly recall, that Ga. Tech game was the very beginning of our demise, or actually the eradication of the Joe Moe* and the Joe Lee Dunn era in Columbia, S.C., as-well-as the beginning of the Bobby Ross and Georgia Tech run for the 1990 National Championship!!!

And by all means whomever wishes to or can simply do so, please by all means correct me herein!!

* And by all means I extend All Due Respect to Joe Morrison! Despite his flaws, mistakes and shortcomings, Joe Morrison for D_mned Sure gave our university its very deepest experience of success up to the timeframe of his career here. JMHOFWIW, but there it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I was at the Ga. Tech game myself! Damn shame it was only us fans that showed up for that game, 'cause our team sure as heck didn't. In fact, if I correctly recall, that Ga. Tech game was the very beginning of our (i.e., actually the Joe Moe and the Joe Lee Dunn era in Columbia, S.C., as-well-as the beginning of the Bobby Ross and Georgia Tech run for the 1990 National Championship!!!
Yeah, it was 31-0 when we left. I think we kicked a FG maybe, long time ago. But I remember the GT fans were as shocked as I was.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I was at that GaTech in Atlanta too. Terrible game! Sat in the end zone and the seats were so narrow people couldn't sit shoulder to shoulder. Was 6ft. and weighed 185. Walking back to the car we came up on some GT Frat Houses and took a lot of profane verbal abuse. We were smart enough to keep quiet and get the hell out of there.
Went to Underground that night and had a great time! Chicken Curse wasn't finished with us; we had a flat tire Sunday on the way back to Columbia.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I was there as-well!! 'Twas my Jr. year at Carolina, and I was sitting in the lower west side of the south EZ, Very Near the Home Locker-room entrance/exit area, and I saw Robert Brooks make the most WONDERFUL catch that, to THIS DAY, is still the most WONDERFUL CATCH I have EVER SEEN @ WILLYB!!!!...

I was there…My favorite uni combination. Hot like Hades! I’m surprised we wore black jerseys.

Reactions: Gaimcock
More quotes from Lewis:

"Don't drive through Athens with your windows down as someone is bound to throw a diploma in your car".

"Auburn is like Clemson except they don't have a lake."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT