ADVERTISEMENT

LHN doesn't die, it becomes the SEC West Network w/ studios in Austin

Well I guess that settles that. Are they just out of a job or will some be absorbed by the SEC network possibly?
They have a plan, but the Longhorn Network or some derivative of it apparently isn't a part of it. It takes just under three hours to fly from Dallas or Houston to Charlotte. The airport is not more than 20 minutes from the SEC Network studios in Balantyne.

Well I guess that settles that. Are they just out of a job or will some be absorbed by the SEC network possibly?
Sounds like the location will be transitioned to the SEC network, they just aren't automatically going to get jobs there. I expect some will apply and work there, others drift away and the total satellite location workforce will probably be smaller than a stand alone network needs.

Sounds like the location will be transitioned to the SEC network, they just aren't automatically going to get jobs there. I expect some will apply and work there, others drift away and the total satellite location workforce will probably be smaller than a stand alone network needs.

I imagine most of the staff, on-air folks anyways, are Horns.

I suppose some could catch on with the SEC and still work remote.

I’ll pour one out for the demise of the Longhorn Legends. Talk U.S. history… lol.

I imagine most of the staff, on-air folks anyways, are Horns.

I suppose some could catch on with the SEC and still work remote.

I’ll pour one out for the demise of the Longhorn Legends. Talk U.S. history… lol.
Some are, but some were ESPN people. My understanding is the location will still be used by the SEC network as a remote satellite location, downsized a lot. That may be because of long-term leases or just a lot of expensive photographic and network equipment that they don't want to waste. All a part of the deal someway. The situation may be fluid. I expect there is a lot of staff turnover, more with this kind of deadline. The SEC network can pick and choose who to offer employment to, if any.

LHN employees were just given 16- month notices by ESPN that the Network will dissolve by 1/2023.
So are they saving the studios or not? It makes sense if they are insinuating that it will be sec west tv fall of 23. Which also would be significant.

So are they saving the studios or not? It makes sense if they are insinuating that it will be sec west tv fall of 23. Which also would be significant.
Some mixed messages. It sounds to me like there will be a satellite SEC Network studio in Austin. They just aren't going to hire all of the LHN employees, maybe none or only a few, thus giving them lots of notice. You don't need nearly as many employees for a satellite office as you do a full blown network.

I am still betting the pod concept wins out, but having a western satellite office doesn't mean that won't happen. There are more teams and thus more content for the SEC Network, which will hopefully be even more popular than ever. The big question is whether there will be another channel, ala ESPN 2, as an SEC 2. Maybe just with the less high level content, or maybe focusing more on the western teams and allowing SEC 1 to focus on the eastern teams (by that I mean primarily Alabama :) ).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT