ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the NET and metrics with eight games left

C

Collyn Taylor

Upcoming schedule: Wednesday at No .90 NET Georgia, Saturday vs. No. 69 NET Tennessee.

How the NET works: So the NET puts different values on each team and assigns them to a Quad (1-4) with teams notching different levels of wins based on opponents and game site (home, away or neutral.

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

It also takes into account margin of victory and awards teams an Adjusted Win Percentage (AWP) with different values getting assigned to home wins/losses compared to neutral site wins/losses and road wins/losses. Efficiency numbers (points scored and points allowed per 100 possessions) also weigh heavily into this ranking.

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of the NET and think some of its metrics are contradictory but it's what the NCAA is using, so we have to analyze it and let's get to it.

How the Gamecocks moved and where they stack up: So despite the Gamecocks' going 1-1 last week stayed pretty much the same in the NET and are currently No. 76 in the NET as they get ready for a big stretch of winnable games. Because their loss came on the road, it doesn't impact the NET as much as a home loss would. The Gamecocks also pieced together their best defensive efficiency of the season (we'll get to that), which certainly helps the NET rankings. Since Texas A&M has popped into the top 150, that's considered a Quad III win. The Ole Miss is a Quad II loss since that came on the road, which will likely stay a Quad II loss all season unless the bottom falls out of that Rebel team.

Frank Martin mentioned it the other day in his press conference but the two losses (at home) to Boston and Stetson are the anchor holding that ranking down too.

Something that helps them is Houston playing well, which has now gotten up into the NET top 30 and is considered a Quad I loss now. Clemson continues to be a Quad II win despite it dropping a little bit and UMass continues to be a high-Quad III win. Since Virginia was on the road, that's a Quad I win. Arkansas and Kentucky are the other Quad I wins this season.

As of Tuesday, the Gamecocks are one of just four teams in the SEC with at least three Quad I wins. LSU has three while both Auburn and Kentucky have four.

In the SEC, they're ranked ahead of six teams with one team in Tennessee comparable there. Of their eight remaining games, three are against teams they're ahead of in the NET.

Right now, here's how the Quad records shake out:

Quad I: 3-5
Quad II: 1-2
Quad III: 5-0
Quad IV: 5-2

A look at some metrics: One of the biggest things the NET looks like is efficiency and right now that's a big reason the Gamecocks have as high a ranking as they do. Efficiency is measured on both ends of the court (offensive and defensive) and means how many points per 100 possessions a team scores and allows.

South Carolina is No. 129 nationally scoring 105.2 per 100 and 66th defensively allowing just 96.1. In SEC the defense is even better ranked the first in the conference allowing just 95 per 100. Offensively the Gamecocks are ninth averaging 101.2 points per 100.

As for the AWP, the Gamecocks are in a good but not great spot there at a 1.4 win percentage, which is helped by winning five games on the road this season.

In layman's terms: The Gamecocks aren't in a spot now where they can feel comfortable about tournament chances and still need a lot to go right. They have a lot of winnable games left on the schedule and the NET is moving in the right direction on a weekly basis. and getting wins is always a good thing.

The metrics the NET uses are good but not great for South Carolina (defensively it's great). In short, South Carolina just needs to win and things will sort itself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News