ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for structural engineer to evaluate house settlement

gamecockengineer2011

Mar 29, 2012
I'm looking at buying a house in Shandon. House is built in the 1940s with some renovations done over time. The upstairs has a slant in the floors and I'd like a structural engineer to take a look and see if the house has structural problems. I don't think this needs to be $1,000 worth of engineering time just an hour or so to determine if this is settlement typical for a house of this age and not a sign of a larger issue. Does anyone have a company they can recommend for this kind of work?

I’m not a structural engineer, but I did sleep in the bushes outside a Motel 6 last night.

I’ve got a 1940s Shandon house with some undulating floors myself, and had that same decision. You might want to see if a reputable foundation company would take a free look to see what they recommend and give an estimate. My seller already had one of those put in some piers with a transferable warranty, and I already had as good of a deal as I knew I could get anywhere on the table, so I didn’t worry about getting an engineer. Maybe that wasn’t the smartest thing, but it hasn’t moved after several years, if not 70+.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT