ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward to some football this Fall.

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
The COVID-19 infection rate seems to be leveling (that's what's being reported), and the PPE supplies are reportedly catching up to demand. I hope and pray we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Have a friend who owns a restaurant and I know they're ready to be back in action just as soon as the authorities give the green light. And I'm ready for some football. All teams missed most of their Spring practices, so it might be a little extra sloppy in the opening games. But I'm okay with that. Go Gamecocks!

One thing is for sure, it’s gonna be like the 4th of July for about 3 months straight once this crap is lifted. Restaurant owners better be ready to overstock and overstaff due to unprecedented demand.

Or they play in an empty stadium-like practice.

My thinking is that IF there's a football season (be it college, US pro, Canadian pro) you are correct, Lawman.

But the only way this works is if everyone in the stadia are vetted and those who wish to participate have to sign a "hold harmless" agreement. Those who wish not to participate should not be penalized as well.

Vetted = proper quarantine period in which the person is determined not to have COVID-19, is not a carrier of it, or has already had it and cannot give it to others.

Those who have not had COVID-19 and are not carriers will have to live in a "bubble" with same.

Everyone = players, coaches, officials, and other support staff. And probably the broadcast crews too.

Is the above doable? Perhaps. Is it worth going through the logistics of all of this to have a season? That's a question only the schools, conferences, and the NFL and CFL can answer.

Since baseball is less of a contact sport that football, basketball, and hockey (what about soccer), I can see baseball perhaps restarting earlier than the others.

Last edited:
The COVID-19 infection rate seems to be leveling (that's what's being reported), and the PPE supplies are reportedly catching up to demand. I hope and pray we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Have a friend who owns a restaurant and I know they're ready to be back in action just as soon as the authorities give the green light. And I'm ready for some football. All teams missed most of their Spring practices, so it might be a little extra sloppy in the opening games. But I'm okay with that. Go Gamecocks!

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ion-that-2020-season-could-start-in-february/

College football is still 3 1/2 months away. The curve has flattened, and we should start the process of getting back to normal within a couple weeks. I'm not going to predict he season will start on time or happen at all, but I'm not going to be a doomsdayer and say it's a foregone conclusion that the season is off. There's no reason to jump to that conclusion just yet.

Reactions: SorryPeasants
One thing is for sure, it’s gonna be like the 4th of July for about 3 months straight once this crap is lifted. Restaurant owners better be ready to overstock and overstaff due to unprecedented demand.

That’s an optimistic view. I think for the millions of unemployed they’re going to be eating ramen and Mac and cheese for a while.

I think the only way they have football is if there is a vaccine before then. Otherwise, the schools and NFL will be liable for endangering folks on their premises and could be held responsible should someone get sick or die whether an employee, player or fan. I don’t think it’s just this though. Same deal with concerts, etc. I know people could get the flu there etc but here we have a sickness with no cure with a govt sanctioned lock down prior to the season. We will also see some schools stopping football and others trying to keep it going. The NCAA isn’t going to order The PAC 10 to play because the SEC wants to for example.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
College football is still 3 1/2 months away. The curve has flattened, and we should start the process of getting back to normal within a couple weeks. I'm not going to predict he season will start on time or happen at all, but I'm not going to be a doomsdayer and say it's a foregone conclusion that the season is off. There's no reason to jump to that conclusion just yet.

IMO, there's no reason to jump to the conclusion that we should start the process of getting back to normal within a couple weeks. I think very few would assert at this time that the season is off. Severely delayed is my guess at best.

Need to take it day by day. Premature lifting of restrictions could be devastating.

Last edited:
That’s an optimistic view. I think for the millions of unemployed they’re going to be eating ramen and Mac and cheese for a while.
I agree that’s what many should do, but I doubt much will change with the culture. Financial responsibility waved bye-bye long ago in this country.

That's my concern, too. I am afraid that even if restaurants open back up, people won't have the disposable income to patronize those restaurants. Even if they do, with the talk of a second outbreak and going back into quarantine in the future, those with extra income will probably want to hang onto their change.

If we don't play the season, does Muschamps buyout still get reduced? I imagine he is still being paid, so it should go down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT