ADVERTISEMENT

Looks Like Brent Venables is OK Bound

NA Gamecock

Sep 24, 2001
Oklahoma has targeted veteran Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables as the Sooners' next head football coach, and the two sides hope to have a deal finalized as early as Sunday, sources told ESPN

Possible Elliot to Duke as well. If all this is true then I bet Dabo gets Dan Lanning from Georgia because he knows Kirby wants Muschamp as dc. Then he will bring Chad Morris back. IF Elliot leaves

If true we're about to find out just how good of a coach Dabo is. He's finally dealing with instability. It will be extremely difficult to find a coach the calibre of Venables. I think Clemson will struggle over the next few years especially if a few of these ACC teams take it up a notch.

This is great news for Gamecock fans.

Last edited:
If Muschamp is to become a DC again, UGA is a good fit because he will always have talent to work with. Muschamp is not good at making steak out of hamburger. But, he can make steak sizzle. His inability to make players overachieve makes him among the most overrated DC's I have ever seen. Any decent DC can look great with Georgia's talent.

As a UVa fan, I hope they don’t get Elliott. Tates don’t like him as an OC, nothing to suggest he’s ready to be a HC. I said on Metabook before I had any idea about Bronco and Lincoln and Kelly, Virginia needs to pay their HC 10 million, plus they arguably have more money than Southern Cal and LSU combined, and stop jerking around with these career assistants. Hire TE, be right back here in 6 years or less.

Reactions: HiltonHeadHoo
I just don’t get people. Maybe it’s just me and I’m in that stage of life where retirement is just down the road and job security is more important. Why would this guy want to leave a program and place like Clemson. He’s making millions and living in a place where the cost of living is cheap not to mention, upstate SC is a beautiful place. Can this guy even coach a team? I know coordinators like Kirby can because they had a great mentor. I hope he‘s learned something from Dabo but I somehow seem to doubt that Dabo is anything more than a stuffed shirt.

Possible Elliot to Duke as well. If all this is true then I bet Dabo gets Dan Lanning from Georgia because he knows Kirby wants Muschamp as dc. Then he will bring Chad Morris back. IF Elliot leaves
Not saying you are wrong but Kirby would be the laughing stock if he let Dablow take Dan so he could seat Mushbrain in that spot. Mushbrain is not 1/10th the DC Dan is. Mush is like FM in that he cannot coach players either.

I just don’t get people. Maybe it’s just me and I’m in that stage of life where retirement is just down the road and job security is more important. Why would this guy want to leave a program and place like Clemson. He’s making millions and living in a place where the cost of living is cheap not to mention, upstate SC is a beautiful place. Can this guy even coach a team? I know coordinators like Kirby can because they had a great mentor. I hope he‘s learned something from Dabo but I somehow seem to doubt that Dabo is anything more than a stuffed shirt.
You think Norman Oklahoma has a high cost of living?

If he gets the job ESPN is reporting Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby could be on his way to Norman too.

To your last point, yes. Dumbo is a stuffed shirt.

You know, I think having Chad Morris as OC and QB coach limits their ceiling, I hope they do it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If Dabo was a stuffed shirt they wouldn't have stationed success. He established their culture and upholds their expectations, does a good job recruiting and is an excellent judge of coaching talent, though it seems his relationships may cloud his judgment on that somewhat. I hate how good he is, but he is.

You know, I think having Chad Morris as OC and QB coach limits their ceiling, I hope they do it.

Elliot was good when they had talent because he didn't try to overthink things with exotic plays like Morris. He kept it simple and put his playmakers in space and let them make plays.

Morris is looking for style points with his offense, and that can get the best of you at times.

Reactions: DaveWallace
Elliot was good when they had talent because he didn't try to overthink things with exotic plays like Morris. He kept it simple and put his playmakers in space and let them make plays.

Morris is looking for style points with his offense, and that can get the best of you at times.
TBH, I think the better half of the co-OC’s Clemson had was Jeff Scott. That goes for recruiting and play calling.

Everyone needs to root for him to be successful at USF, because if he gets fired he’ll be a thorn in our side at CU again.

Reactions: ImmaTiger
If Venables becomes the OK HC and he keeps some recruits or transfers in house that we wanted, then he's just racking those shut outs up against us. Facepalm. Be interesting to see how their defense looks coming up and how it affects Clemmons'.

If I was that OU brass, I would check out the hotel rooms, bring food tasters along and make certain the vehicles for transport look to be in good condition. I don't put anything beyond Dabo to screw up their visit.
Will Venables back out?

If Dabo was a stuffed shirt they wouldn't have stationed success. He established their culture and upholds their expectations, does a good job recruiting and is an excellent judge of coaching talent, though it seems his relationships may cloud his judgment on that somewhat. I hate how good he is, but he is.

This is Correct, Clemson success begins and ends with Dabo now days!! Dabo’s decision to pay Chad Morris ( OC ) 7 figures started a snowball effect in College FB concerning OC and DC pay scales. People judge him as a coach from a X’s and O’s Standpoint and it could be justifiable. As a CEO or Business Man running the show at Clemson, he has exceeded every and all expectations. There is a reason Dabo present day at the age of 51 is already a HOF head coach. Dabo’s Drive to win period on and off the field is second to none. Is he the best HC every, No! Is he the best HC today, NO! Is he a legit proven successful HC today, No doubt!!!

Last edited:
He'll be makings making millions raised to the millions... plus his kid is finished school... not much keeping him in tatertown.
His son Tyler just finished his freshman year as a safety. Also has a few younger daughters that have grown up there. But Oklahoma is a dream job for him so he’s gone if offered

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT