ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Tony Elliot will be taking over at Duke

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
According to SI a few minutes ago it seems that is the direction they will go per newspaper in Raleigh. I am hearing from some in upstate that if he leaves, that Brandon Streeter will take over as OC.

Reactions: rogue cock
Didn’t he turn down Ga tech a couple years ago? If so don’t get the logic
a lot of shine has worn off this year, some deserved and some not. I think they molded their offense based on DJU, his mistake but then had to adjust on the fly when he and the oline crapped the bed. He isn't getting enough credit for completely restructuring and turning it into a ground and pound offense the last 7 games.

👍👍 if he does go. Rumors are crazy though. Last year supposedly the Dallas Cowboys wanted this guy. Now a year later he's trying hard to get a job at Duke. Things change quickly in this business.

👍👍 if he does go. Rumors are crazy though. Last year supposedly the Dallas Cowboys wanted this guy. Now a year later he's trying hard to get a job at Duke. Things change quickly in this business.
All about timing. He turned down Tennessee last year and this year UVA turned him down and Duke has been a nail biter

Nope. Clemson thought they could unplug Trevor Lawrence and plug in DJU….probably based on a couple of 2020 starts.

DJU is slow, locks on first read, no touch on passes…typical freshman, 3-star stuff. Not DJU’s fault, coaches drinking the orange kool-aid made by Dabo.

Tony Elliott fixed it by sticking the ball in the running back’s belly and not letting DJU throw. 💯

All these people that want the duke job seems kind of strange to me. Tough job.

Last edited:
All about timing. He turned down Tennessee last year and this year UVA turned him down and Duke has been a nail biter
Elliott is back in the running at UVa, as it's been rumored that Poindexter messed up royally in his interview. So Duke is now scrambling to try to get Elliott before he is snatched up by Va. Either way, Elliott is gone.

Reactions: coldbud1994
If he has the opportunity to seize the UVA job, he'd better take it.
Apparently he has that opportunity again. UVA decided against Poindexter from Penn St. Elliot could be a done deal this afternoon. Good spot for him. I think he will be a very good head coach, much better than an OC.

All these people that want the duke job seems kind of strange to me. Tough job.
It is but the expectations are also a lot lower. There is money there but they don’t do a lot of special enrollments so winning 6 plus in a season is a big deal there. Win 8 or more and they may throw a parade.

Reactions: Gradstudent
It was probably somewhat of a mutual thing. As noted, a lot of the shine has worn off for him, so he probably needs to get a job while the getting is good. And with the offense was this year, it gives them an easy out without having to fire him. So it works out best for both parties. And it’s rumored among Clemson folks that if they want to keep any kind of presence in the Manning sweepstakes they needed to move on from Elliot.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
Dabo better get busy hiring somebody bc he sure can’t do it himself. Honestly, I don’t think Manning ends up there. I’m thinking the SEC somewhere.

It was probably somewhat of a mutual thing. As noted, a lot of the shine has worn off for him, so he probably needs to get a job while the getting is good. And with the offense was this year, it gives them an easy out without having to fire him. So it works out best for both parties. And it’s rumored among Clemson folks that if they want to keep any kind of presence in the Manning sweepstakes they needed to move on from Elliot.
In retrospect I think he did as well as he could with DJU struggling and the Oline regressing instead of improving and all the injuries.....

Interesting note about the Mannings.

He and his family on on the plane headed to UVA now.

Clemson was never going to fire Elliott.

I forgot about Elliott turning down Tenn. That is a huge difference not accepting the UT job but instead taking the dook job. But, at the time I guess he didn't know his fortunes were going to turn around so quickly.

Reactions: chief2791
a lot of shine has worn off this year, some deserved and some not. I think they molded their offense based on DJU, his mistake but then had to adjust on the fly when he and the oline crapped the bed. He isn't getting enough credit for completely restructuring and turning it into a ground and pound offense the last 7 games.
It is amazing the difference back-to-back generational talent quarterbacks make

Reactions: chief2791 and TAV31
Never said they were. They were definitely looking to move on from him, though. Hence him taking the job at the ACC bottom-feeder.
Well, Yes you did! "...it gives them an easy out without having to fire him."

And, that bottom feeder program of which you speak, kicked our asses in the bowl game just a few years ago by a score of 28-0 in a game that never that close.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
He gone. In c-ville with family per local media and Poindexter pulled name per ESPN.

I could argue better job than TN with all the turnover at AD etc up there and they still are going to face sanctions for handing out bags of cash and VA/DMV talent is a lot better local pool + easier conference.

Never said they were. They were definitely looking to move on from him, though. Hence him taking the job at the ACC bottom-feeder.
How exactly do you know they were looking to go away from Elliott? Elliott got a lot of heat in my opinion he doesn’t deserve. You Can’t run the other half of the playbook if your players are not capable of making the plays happen.

Last edited:
I think Dabo will promote Brandon Streeter. He’s said before that this is Clemson’s offense. Not Morris’, not Scott’s, not Elliot’s. I don’t think that would be wise but I think Dabo may actually believe it. When he hired Venebles at DC, he was desperate. When they gave Elliott and Scott all that $$, he was desperate. I don’t think Dabo is desperate anymore and I still don’t think he’s a great X’s and O’s Guy.

Obviously, I hope he makes the wrong moves. That being said, I do think Dabo is a smart guy and even his bad hire won’t crush them like we did with Whammy.

You forget that Dabo is a narcissist. I bet he is stewing over all the hype Venables is getting and how much credit Venables is getting for Clemson's success. There is no telling what he is going to do.

Reactions: chief2791 and TAV31
My Clemson friend tells me they're likely promoting Brandon Streeter to OC. They aren't enthused.

My Clemson friend tells me they're likely promoting Brandon Streeter to OC. They aren't enthused.
I’m not so sure his hands are not tied on that one. Think about it. Those same reports are saying either venables or Elliot would have given him a better role. Elliot’s name was mixed with naming him to an OC position. If that were to happen you can consider Caleb klubnik gone. Streeter is his main recruiter. Dabo desperately needs a qb, and a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: AltoonaSteve
Same when Jeff Scott was promoted. But he did well. I'm sure Streeter knows the Clemson system backwards and forwards, as well.
The clemson system is having a once in a lifetime QB back to back, a weak schedule that allows a team to benefit in multiple ways, a church that has unlimited funds, and a nutritional team that found a way to get ostarine among other items into the players systems. But yeah, he'll know the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT