ADVERTISEMENT

Love This Quote On 2nd-Half Play Calling

Wiles2

Feb 18, 2006
This feels arrogant. If you look at the sequence of plays from near the end of the 3rd and throughout the 4th, it was the antithesis of earlier in the game. Even the TV announcers noted it.

“There have been some questions about the play-calling offensively there late. There was never any conversation about changing what we had been doing. The only conversation was to keep doing what we had been doing,” Muschamp said. “There’s nothing we did different in the second half. It’s all based on results. We didn’t get the results we wanted.”

He really needs to start owning some of this or he's likely going to lose the fan base much quicker.

He led his conference call with this, before a single question was asked. “There have been some questions about“

Guess the SID office had gauged the feedback from fans and media already and prepped him.

I agree, a little humility would go a long way towards helping fans not freak out.

Well there is an aspect of truth to simply executing vs. not executing.....
Sometimes it's not a lot more complicated than that

Agree. But we went out of up-tempo on that last series of the 3rd up 31-14 and from that point it was something like 17 run plays to 5 pass to finish the game. He's not being honest.

There was an article that I can't locate now which even had sport writers from Florida saying he (Muschamp) went into conservative mode again and lost the game for SC.

Agree. But we went out of up-tempo on that last series of the 3rd up 31-14 and from that point it was something like 17 run plays to 5 pass to finish the game. He's not being honest.

There was an article that I can't locate now which even had sport writers from Florida saying he (Muschamp) went into conservative mode again and lost the game for SC.
He went conservative again before the half with almost a minute left. He better learn to score as damn many points as possible with the d he is fielding

This feels arrogant. If you look at the sequence of plays from near the end of the 3rd and throughout the 4th, it was the antithesis of earlier in the game. Even the TV announcers noted it.

“There have been some questions about the play-calling offensively there late. There was never any conversation about changing what we had been doing. The only conversation was to keep doing what we had been doing,” Muschamp said. “There’s nothing we did different in the second half. It’s all based on results. We didn’t get the results we wanted.”

He really needs to start owning some of this or he's likely going to lose the fan base much quicker.
This is reminiscent of an observation/complaint I had with Roper the past two seasons. There were fans defending Roper, claiming that the problem with the RPOs was Jake's decision-making. My argument was that any professional football coach who puts the decision making into the hands of a 20-year old who is clearly struggling with that aspect of the game has very little regard for his employability.
I've read some of Muschamp's post-game comments that indicate the reason we threw the ball 5 times on our final 3 possessions is because that how the numbers stacked up on the RPO. If you want to pass, call a pass. The staff made that decision public earlier in the season that they wanted more runs in the RPO.
I know RPOs are all the rage right now. It makes sense in the NFL, and with the right QB and OC in college, I'm sure it can work. But it has trickled down to high school and lower, too. Just because a coach sees others at much, much higher levels succeeding with something doesn't mean he needs to try to duplicate it with lesser players.

He went conservative again before the half with almost a minute left. He better learn to score as damn many points as possible with the d he is fielding

I was pissed he didn’t at least try an intermediate throw early in that last possession on the half. If it fails then maybe go conservative. When the other team is scheduled to get the ball to start the second half you gotta try. We wasted a possession there. You can’t be scared to lose.

That is all fine and dandy. However, when he realized we were not getting the desired result, why not try something else? I don’t make 4 mil a year, and I know coaches change plans throughout the game...well successful ones do.

That is all fine and dandy. However, when he realized we were not getting the desired result, why not try something else? I don’t make 4 mil a year, and I know coaches change plans throughout the game...well successful ones do.

True ~ But I truly believe he decided when we were up 31-14 and the 3rd quarter coming to a close that he did the math in his head (clock, possessions, etc.) and decided that playing it conservative was the best course for victory.

Then the wheels fell off.

But even that is fine to some degree if you admit it was a bad gamble. He never falls on the sword and he's 1-11 against ranked teams.

These next three games should be a total circus on offense. Let them play wide open - especially against Clemson. We're likely going to need 50+ to win that game. I could care less if we lose by 70 if we go down fighting and not trying to preserve a respectable loss.

Reactions: FightinRooster

Hitler went crazy. (Someone should redo that video and the theme should be Muschamp and the Florida debacle).

Yardage wise this will be the most prolific offense of Champs career but he still has a tendency to meddle and go conservative, obviously he just can't help it.

I was pissed he didn’t at least try an intermediate throw early in that last possession on the half. If it fails then maybe go conservative. When the other team is scheduled to get the ball to start the second half you gotta try. We wasted a possession there. You can’t be scared to lose.
Had to make sure they used all their TOs first. Then maybe try something. It would have been ridiculously stupid to throw incomplete passes and punt to them with a minute añd TOs.

The play that sticks out was 3rd and 5 with decent field position and we run up the gut for a yard. Our only chance to win was out score UF and we went vanilla.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

I never post over here anymore, but couldn’t let this go. USC never had the football up 31-14. Florida scores to make it 31-21 before we had the ball again. For those that can read articles on the front page, Wes breaks down every play call when we had the ball up 31-21 and 31-28. BMac called pretty much the same RPO plays that worked earlier. We even ran tempo, Florida just played better defense.

Reactions: rogue cock

The play calling on the last possession of the 1st half was, actually I don't know what that was.

Last edited:

I never post over here anymore, but couldn’t let this go. USC never had the football up 31-14. Florida scores to make it 31-21 before we had the ball again. For those that can read articles on the front page, Wes breaks down every play call when we had the ball up 31-21 and 31-28. BMac called pretty much the same RPO plays that worked earlier. We even ran tempo, Florida just played better defense.
And that goes back to what I said. I quality coaching staff will adjust. Just because it worked earlier, does not mean it will work later. When we realize that what we were calling was not working late in the game, even though they had worked earlier, it was time to adjust the game plan.

After they scored, 31-21, we had the ball
They scored again, 31-28, we had the ball
They scored again, 31-34, and then we got the ball.

In the 2nd half Florida adjusted. They were playing a 6 man box, with two safeties back in coverage, to trick us into an run off the RPO like we did earlier in the game. Except as soon as the ball was snap one safety would crash down immediately making it a 7 man box, crashing our run play. They adjusted and were out maneuvering us, and we played right into their hands.

We called the same plays because they worked in the first half. We read the box, and ran off of that. Exactly what Florida wanted us to do.

In the 2nd half Florida adjusted. They were playing a 6 man box, with two safeties back in coverage, to trick us into an run off the RPO like we did earlier in the game. Except as soon as the ball was snap one safety would crash down immediately making it a 7 man box, crashing our run play. They adjusted and were out maneuvering us, and we played right into their hands.

We called the same plays because they worked in the first half. We read the box, and ran off of that. Exactly what Florida wanted us to do.
As Erik Kimrey said yesterday, it was more an execution part on the USC side than a play call problem. I’ll defer to his coaching Knesset yours or any others on this board, all day, every day.

As Erik Kimrey said yesterday, it was more an execution part on the USC side than a play call problem. I’ll defer to his coaching Knesset yours or any others on this board, all day, every day.
Just expressing my opinion, no reason to insult it. That's your opinion.

It's also of my opinion that a single play, or a series can come down to execution. When you have 3 back to back to back series failures, then you adjust your coaching and playcalling because what you're calling isn't being executed correctly. But like I said that's just my opinion.

And that goes back to what I said. I quality coaching staff will adjust. Just because it worked earlier, does not mean it will work later. When we realize that what we were calling was not working late in the game, even though they had worked earlier, it was time to adjust the game plan.

Don't disagree but what happens if adjustments are made and they don't work?

Somebody here would be bitching about Muschamp meddling by changing up the offense and getting away from what worked.

Those who see no problem with the play-calling are the same one who are waiting on Spurrier to "right this ship". It's a "trust the coaches at all costs" mentality and no amount of what everyone else sees will change it.

Doesn't matter who called or didn't call what, fact is it was a bad loss. I heard them on the radio trying to spin it like some politician but the fans calling in weren't buying it and good for them. When your record is 1-11 it most likely isn't due to the excuses you've been giving, eventually you have to look in the mirror and say "hell, maybe it's me" and own it.

When he says they did the same thing, that means they went to the line with an RPO. Then they made a decision. The decision was probably not the same as the ones they made earlier. I don't know if Bentley was told to be more conservative in the play he called at the line. But it turned out that way.

Now that I'm removed from the situation I can see how the runs that worked in the first half dried up late. But UF is a good defense. They know how to confuse Bentley. If they were in a set that he thought was to our advantage to call a run, but they fooled him, I could see BOOM! not wanting to say he made the wrong choices. If you know our defense can't stop a fart then you know you have to keep the foot on the gas. You have to do what was working. At least be a little creative.

I do agree he needs to own the fact that he blew some games this season that were really winnable. I've heard we overachieved last year and I thought so at the time. Well, here's the flipside. UK, A&M and UF were very winnable games and they were blown. UF was a spectacular debacle by BOOM! It made him look like a coach who is clueless about offense and left anybody with eyes wondering what he can achieve here.

Reactions: FightinRooster
Ok Gamecock fans, we are obviously stuck. Give it one more year (what other choice do we have?), and if we do not beat a ranked team it will be obvious even to me, Mr. Oblivious, that we are not improving.

I don't really care about the Akron or the PC game.

Just wish the Clemson game was competitive.

Rob Proffitt‏ | BreakinDownFilm | Flordia Gators
Muschamp took the ball out of his best players hands who had his team up 17 points. He then leaned on the smallest RB in the SEC to kill the clock. His Offense had 23 total yards in the 4th quarter... all on the ground. What a shame. His QB was playing out of his mind.

He’s now 1-13 vs. UK, UGA, TAMU, UF & Clemson.
Geez that’s god awful.

Yardage wise this will be the most prolific offense of Champs career but he still has a tendency to meddle and go conservative, obviously he just can't help it.
Lots of people go to the run when nursing a big lead and the game getting to the late stages. But the ones who do it successfully keep picking up first downs.

Had to make sure they used all their TOs first. Then maybe try something. It would have been ridiculously stupid to throw incomplete passes and punt to them with a minute añd TOs.
Coach Muschamp is that you?

Joking of course, but at that point we had Florida on it's heels. Everything was working. 52 seconds with 2 time outs is an eternity to at least get in field goal range. Maybe even score a TD.

I promise you, Florida was pleased we didn't try to score. Not to mention, we lost by 4 points. There was no good reason not to stay aggressive there. We had a chance to make a big statement right there.

Truth is this loss was the responsibility of everybody...defense, offense, and coaches. I am not a rocket scientist but could see how Florida was lining up on almost every play and know where the play was going. I understand we are short handed on defense. But all the coaches know that. If almost everybody could see where the play was going, then the coaches should be able to determine that as well and load the box. Let Horn and Fenton man up on the outside receivers and keep a safety in the middle. Defensively, run blitz six-seven men to the strong side where it was obvious they were running the ball. Offensively, all we needed was one drive where we got a couple of first downs to slow down the momentum. But we never did either one of those things. Coaches never made the adjustments necessary to win the game on either side of the ball. Disappointing loss is an understatement.

Reactions: roosterbell
What is infuriating to me is this ... we play two ranked teams , Kentucky and Florida that are 100% one dimensional. Everybody on the planet knows that both teams have poor QB and the only option is running the ball . We have a defensive head coach and you can’t stop them . This isn’t late 80s Tom Osbourne Nebraska we are playing here ... it’s a Florida team that got totally shut down by Mizzou and a Kentucky team that barely scored 7 Against Tennessee. He’s been here three years and nobody on this team can tackle !?!! Save all the excuses . You have an undisciplined, poor fundamental group of kids on defense . Don’t give me this “ Need better recruits “ crap . You can’t tell me Mizzou has superior athletes than us . Guys we are looking after Clemson , four Games that we are giving up 500 yards + . That’s historically bad . Next season will be worse . Don’t know what the answer is

Don't disagree but what happens if adjustments are made and they don't work?

Somebody here would be bitching about Muschamp meddling by changing up the offense and getting away from what worked.
You are absolutely correct. No matter what happens, somebody on here is not gonna be happy. I am not on the sidelines, so I don’t know exactly what the play calls were and what happened. Fact is, they may have been running the same RPO‘s, and Bentley did not want to put that on his shoulders. He could have just read the stuff wrong. Or the actuality is the staff decided to play conservatively. Either of those three cases we are putting the ball game in the hands of what is the weakest unit. Our defense has not shown the ability to stop anybody for the majority of the year. Why would the coaching staff expect any different this game. If we have a defense that was solid, then I am perfectly fine going conservative.

Point is, as a coach, If your quarterback is incorrectly reading RPO’s (regardless of the correct reads in the first half) you remove that pressure from his shoulders. It does not matter what worked in the first 3 quarters. If it is not working late in the game the coaching staff must adjust. If the play calls are fine, and the execution is poor, simplify things and give everyone an easier look.

Do I trust the staff, yes. Am I calling for their firing, no. Although I will go on record and say something needs to be changed in the strength and conditioning area (not necessarily a coaching change. I just don’t think on this particular day they put the team in a position to win when it mattered most.

Coach Muschamp is that you?

Joking of course, but at that point we had Florida on it's heels. Everything was working. 52 seconds with 2 time outs is an eternity to at least get in field goal range. Maybe even score a TD.

I promise you, Florida was pleased we didn't try to score. Not to mention, we lost by 4 points. There was no good reason not to stay aggressive there. We had a chance to make a big statement right there.
That was after we made them use their TOs by running the ball. We got the 1st down and they used their third one so you are right. That was the time to go.

That was after we made them use their TOs by running the ball. We got the 1st down and they used their third one so you are right. That was the time to go.
We then wasted about 10 seconds and threw a pass down field. It did not appear we had a plan. Just as I see it.

They badly out adjusted us , you are 100% right,, maybe some of our issues on Defense were injuries and freshman playing and such, but they figured things out and we could not counter.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
They badly out adjusted us , you are 100% right,, maybe some of our issues on Defense were injuries and freshman playing and such, but they figured things out and we could not counter.

Holtz was a motivator. He took a 0-19 team (longest losing streak at the time, in the nation) and made winners out of them in practically no time, by motivating them and, by getting them to play assignment football, where under matched players can have the chance to succeed against superior athletes, if they will follow the plan.

Spurrier was an excellent game day coach who put lots of pressure on a QB, and would bench the starter when a interception was thrown, no matter what his pedigree. He made a competitor and starter of a backup QB, who was sitting on a practice dummy when Spurier came here. He was an excellent judge of performance.

Champ is following two hard to follow acts. He is not the motivator that Holtz is, nor the game day coach Spurrier is. Of course he does have good qualities. Let's hope he can improve in the motivation and real time decision departments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT