ADVERTISEMENT

The most maddening thing about yesterday....(this is for you Clayton)

tngamecock#

Sep 10, 2000
other than not having Wells and Brown to go with X, was the way we played our DBs in the 2nd half and Defensive formation/calls. It reminded me so much of the first half of the TN game in 2021 where we played off 12 yards and let them 8 yard us down the field over and over and over to the tune of 28 first half points. We played up tight in the 2nd half and outscored them and started causing them problems. It was too late down 28.

We had UGA in 3rd and 4-6 numerous times in 2nd half. We played 10 yards off, and gave up 6 yard easy pitch and catch passes for 1st downs. It was maddening. Is UGA some deep threat team? Not so far. But we let their QB build great completion stats while gaining first downs and not getting off the field. PLEASE O PLEASE don't ever do this again...........it NEVER WORKS. Why can coaches not see this. Our DBs are good enough to hang with most receivers we play. Use them that way.

other than not having Wells and Brown to go with X, was the way we played our DBs in the 2nd half and Defensive formation/calls. It reminded me so much of the first half of the TN game in 2021 where we played off 12 yards and let them 8 yard us down the field over and over and over to the tune of 28 first half points. We played up tight in the 2nd half and outscored them and started causing them problems. It was too late down 28.

We had UGA in 3rd and 4-6 numerous times in 2nd half. We played 10 yards off, and gave up 6 yard easy pitch and catch passes for 1st downs. It was maddening. Is UGA some deep threat team? Not so far. But we let their QB build great completion stats while gaining first downs and not getting off the field. PLEASE O PLEASE don't ever do this again...........it NEVER WORKS. Why can coaches not see this. Our DBs are good enough to hang with most receivers we play. Use them that way.

We did get picked apart in the 2nd half. It's a tough balance. When the DB's play off the receiver, they are typically in better position for support run defense. UGA rush offense was the biggest concern going into the game.

We obviously have a "bend but don't break." mentality on defense with Clayton. If we had known that going in that we would limit them to 24 points, everyone would have been pleased. The offense just couldn't pick it back up in the 2nd half and the defense was sucking air without quality backups.

We did get picked apart in the 2nd half. It's a tough balance. When the DB's play off the receiver, they are typically in better position for support run defense. UGA rush offense was the biggest concern going into the game.

We obviously have a "bend but don't break." mentality on defense with Clayton. If we had known that going in that we would limit them to 24 points, everyone would have been pleased. The offense just couldn't pick it back up in the 2nd half and the defense was sucking air without quality backups.
I'd rather the defense not break for multiple first downs every series -- 21 unanswered points courtesy of breaking after being bent down the field.

I'd rather the defense not break for multiple first downs every series -- 21 unanswered points courtesy of breaking after being bent down the field.

It was frustrating to watch. Guys were definitely a step slower in the 2nd half.

I still would point to the outcome though. They scored 24 total points and we did absolutely nothing on offense in the 2nd half to help our winded D who played out of their minds in the 1st. That also included turning the ball over twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yep — I had a Florida fan who was watching our game at their tailgate send me a text wondering why the hell we were playing so far off of UGA receivers. Why can everyone see it but our coaching staff!?

This was true. Beck has tendencies to throw to the middle of the field and our DBs were cheating that direction for both the run and pass. Early in the game, Gary Danielson highlighted that there was a UGA receiver running free to the end zone. On the replay, it showed our cover guy (#6 Dial) anticipating a pass play to the middle. Dial read it correctly but that's a dangerous game to play.

We were an inferior team trying to hang around with a superior team that helped by showing up late. We did a pretty good job until our inferiority and their superiority manifested themselves.

We were inferior in several aspects, but the thing that made it impossible for us to break through was the inability to sustain offense in the second half, That frustration was due to the fact that we cannot line up and run the football for four yards consistently against a good team.

Rattler cannot do it all against a good team. Our offensive line is weak and we mess around too much with running backs who aren't named Anderson.

Our hope now rests with the fact that the SEC purely sucks. It sucks right now worse than I have ever known it to suck in the 63 years or so that I've been following college football.

The SEC right now might be the worst league in the Power Five. Texas and Oklahoma can't get here soon enough. It turns out that the SEC needs those two programs more than those two programs need the SEC. We're going to be fortunate to add them.

Returning to the present, some of those teams on our schedule that figured to be good this year are hugely underperforming. The question now is whether or not we have enough football wherewithal to exploit the worst aggregation of SEC teams in my memory.

Last edited:
We were an inferior team trying to hang around with a superior team that helped by showing up late. We did a pretty good job until our inferiority and their superiority manifested themselves.

We were inferior in several aspects, but the thing that made it impossible for us to break through was the inability to sustain offense in the second half, That frustration was due to the fact that we cannot line up and run the football for four yards consistently against a good team.

Rattler cannot do it all against a good team. Our offensive line is weak and we mess around too much with running backs who aren't named Anderson.

Our hope now rests with the fact that the SEC purely sucks. It sucks right now worse than I have ever known it to suck in the 63 years or so that I've been following college football.

The SEC right now might be the worst league in the Power Five. Texas and Oklahoma can't get here soon enough. It turns out that the SEC needs those two programs more than those two programs need the SEC. We're going to be fortunate to add them.

Returning to the present, some of those teams on our schedule that figured to be good this year are hugely underperforming. The question now is whether or not we have enough football wherewithal to exploit the worst aggregation of SEC teams in my memory.
Agree with most of what you are saying. I do not look forward to Texas and Oklahoma joining. It only makes it more difficult for the rest of us.

Agree with most of what you are saying. I do not look forward to Texas and Oklahoma joining. It only makes it more difficult for the rest of us.
The league needs a boost. Alabama is done being Alabama until they find their next generational coach and that might require several plug-and-plays before they get there. Auburn is in and out of dysfunction all the time. Florida is only slightly above average now and Tennessee is proving to be like anyone else: the most difficult system to defend still relies on having all the right pieces and their pieces ain't as good as last year.

You're still only going to play the eight or nine SEC games that are set before you, and in that regard, it's the same for everybody. Actually, those teams that will remain tied in with old-time rivalries against higher level SEC programs will find it dicier.

We already have UPC. The only thing there is that they might very well wind up in the SEC with us anyway.

The league needs a boost. Alabama is done being Alabama until they find their next generational coach and that might require several plug-and-plays before they get there. Auburn is in and out of dysfunction all the time. Florida is only slightly above average now and Tennessee is proving to be like anyone else: the most difficult system to defend still relies on having all the right pieces and their pieces ain't as good as last year.

You're still only going to play the eight or nine SEC games that are set before you, and in that regard, it's the same for everybody. Actually, those teams that will remain tied in with old-time rivalries against higher level SEC programs will find it dicier.

We already have UPC. The only thing there is that they might very well wind up in the SEC with us anyway.

Don't you believe we should wait more than three games into a season to start drawing trend lines? The SEC still has the #1 team in the country and 6 teams in the top 25.

I would agree that the NIL is starting to have an impact on the landscape of college football. Texas, USC-W, FSU and Oregon have all bought their way up the latter. We personally lost two really good players to FSU and USC-W who we could have desperately used on Saturday.

However, I think we should see what the in and out-of-conference records look like deeper into the season before we jump the gun.

Last edited:
It does not bother me if the SEC is down this year. It would be wonderful to not have one of the toughest schedules in the nation for a change.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Don't you believe we should wait more than three games into a season to start drawing trend lines? The SEC still has the #1 team in the country and 6 teams in the top 25.

I would agree that the NIL is starting to have an impact on the landscape of college football. Texas, USC-W, FSU and Oregon have all bought their way up the latter. We personally lost two really good players to FSU and USC-W who we could have desperately used on Saturday.

However, I think we should see what the in and out-of-conference records look like deeper into the season before we jump the gun.
Could be, but I don't worry too much about the aging of posts. Most all internet posts, whether they be about sports, religion, politics, or current event in general, are based on perceptions experienced at a moment in time, stimulated by some event(s). Moreover, what we post doesn't adversely change the course of history.

If our projections turn out to be off-target, we don't stop predicting things or posting our predictions. All I try to be is rational. I believe that, while my post might not prove prescient, it is rationally founded. I know for certain the league needs a boost - from somewhere.

Reactions: Ward Jr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT