ADVERTISEMENT

Love tosu apologists talking points even if they make me throw up a little...

cockynchicago#

Dec 29, 2000
You'd think an all-star team of the greatest college and professional teams ever wouldn't deserve to be on the same field as the angry acorns listening to the chatter in the midwest.

My favorite talking points:

1. Schedule came out years ago.
    Maybe, but did your scheduling person really project Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and Va Tech to constitute potential quality wins or mere glorified scrimmage cupcakes. Most likely projection is cupcakes based on program resources.
  2. Is it our fault the b1g is down?
    The b1g recently had a more balanced pair of divisions. They added Maryland and Rutgers - two historically bad football schools. They reorganized in 2013 after 7 straight SEC National Championships. They removed a quality opponent in Wisconsin and added both Maryland and Rutgers to tosu division. I'd argue they intentionally engineered a cakewalk for purposes of dramatically improving national title appearances. In contrast, SEC and PAC12 coaches lobbied for rules mandating teams ONLY play Power 5 opponents.
Personally, I am proud we are in the undisputed best conference in football and my Saturdays are filled with games where the outcome is unknown such as last year's UGA game which was decided by mere inches.

I would be pissed if I was a tosu alumnus and saw a talented team play such a ridiculously watered down schedule of basically 11 glorified scrimmages.

You'd think an all-star team of the greatest college and professional teams ever wouldn't deserve to be on the same field as the angry acorns listening to the chatter in the midwest.

Maybe, but did your scheduling person really project Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and Va Tech to constitute potential quality wins or mere glorified scrimmage cupcakes. Most likely projection is cupcakes based on program resources.
    The b1g recently had a more balanced pair of divisions. They added Maryland and Rutgers - two historically bad football schools. They reorganized in 2013 after 7 straight SEC National Championships. They removed a quality opponent in Wisconsin and added both Maryland and Rutgers to tosu division. I'd argue they intentionally engineered a cakewalk for purposes of dramatically improving national title appearances. In contrast, SEC and PAC12 coaches lobbied for rules mandating teams ONLY play Power 5 opponents.
Personally, I am proud we are in the undisputed best conference in football and my Saturdays are filled with games where the outcome is unknown such as last year's UGA game which was decided by mere inches.

I would be pissed if I was a tosu alumnus and saw a talented team play such a ridiculously watered down schedule of basically 11 glorified scrimmages.
I wouldn't be pissed if we were the defending national champs. I'd be pumped. Some fans are never happy I suppose.

I hate the Big 10, and I am loathe to defend them; however, I strongly disagree with The first few sentences of your point #2. When the Big 10 Reorganized (after expansion), they clearly put OSU in the far tougher division. It's much harder to win a division with three other traditional powers (PSU, UM, MSU) than it is to win the one with one traditional power (Nebraska, now a fading power) and one decent program than never beats elite programs (Wisconsin). I agree that the Big 10 stinks, but OSU is 100% in the tougher of the two divisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT