ADVERTISEMENT

Lowest football attendance in the SEC in twelve years and the lowest

Oh, there's a price! $$$

true, but when I prioritize my hobbies, interests, and alternatives I am willing to budget (some $$) for a my university, I do have a limit and they may price me out of the market and experience one day, but I hope no time soon . When I lived in Charlotte and could't make as many of the home games it would eat at me and disturb me, but at that time I had to defer to fiscal responsibility. Living back in Columbia now I don't think I can imagine staying at home to watch the ball game on TV, when Williams Brice is 25 minutes from our drive way.

Reactions: 92Pony
I also remember the good ol days when it didnt take half a day to play the game. Now that guy in a red shirt(at least its red for our games) with the headset comes out on the field every other play it seems. I hate that SOB. I remember when youd at least get a break from him when you played an FCS team etc. Now even those are on TV.
Red Shirt guy is very hated in our section.

And very quite generators. Many now tailgate but don’t go in. It’s now with all the fees thrown in about $100 per seat per game. I could take a couple of nice vacations for that.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
It all has to do with demographics. The Baby Boomer generation, all things being equal, is the largest demographic ever. The youngest of the Boomers is in their mid-50s. The oldest are in their early 70s. Birth rates have declined over the years. University Of South Carolina alumnus Harry Dent Jr is an expert on demographics, having written numerous books on it, about its impact on investments. Dent's analysis on investment implications have not generally been accurate over the past couple of decades, after being accurate in the years prior. But, his demographic analysis has been spot on.

The people who think of everyone should stand or not care about people ho can’t stand (for the example, bad knees) is one of the reasons that people don’t attend. As far as I can recall, the stadium seats people who are handicapped and people who are healthy but not people who have a hard time standing.

The people who think of everyone should stand or not care about people ho can’t stand (for the example, bad knees) is one of the reasons that people don’t attend. As far as I can recall, the stadium seats people who are handicapped and people who are healthy but not people who have a hard time standing.

Reactions: Will4Clemson
There is nothing better than a hyped up crowd. I watched a few big wins on television. It was still fun, but its not the same. I understand it is too expensive for some, but there are plenty of cheap tickets outside the stadium. I buy 1-2 on the way in when they are less than $10 so I can leave and come back if I don't have extras.

I may stop going when my kids are all done with it, but I doubt it. Its great seeing buddies from out of town and even in town.

It is not worth scraping by and not saving money for retirement or emergencies though.

And I see it getting worse, with the exception of a few programs. One, it is getting more expensive all the time. Has become a financial commitment that can be quite expensive when one figures in the amount of money to a schools particular support club just for the right to buy decent tickets. Then comes the parking, and the tailgate expenses. Obviously, it is worth it to many, and always will be. But I know a few that suddenly had situations come up in life where one year they didn’t go. And they didn’t go back to their normal routine of being there every time the gates were open. Big screen TV’s with any game worth watching on some channel from noon to midnight plays a huge role. Not to mention the only time they have to absolutely commit to football is just the period where their team plays. Then they look back and realize how much money they have saved. They may still find ways to get to the big games, but have tired of having to pay for the whole package that often leads to many games where there is more a feeling that you have to be there to justify the financial commitment. And as technology expands one can see the lower attendance trend continuing

I know people say they can see it better on Tv, no wait for bathrooms, no traffic to fight leaving, but there is nothing like being in the middle of the crowd and screaming your head off.
When I watch it at home, I have too much nervous energy.
To each their own though.
I don't agree with that. You can't see sh!t on TV unless you enjoy watching the line of scrimmage, or the QB holding a football when he's in the pocket. I can see much better at the game. I can tell what's going to happen before it happens as the play develops, especially in the defensive back field.

Reactions: DaTater
I know people say they can see it better on Tv, no wait for bathrooms, no traffic to fight leaving, but there is nothing like being in the middle of the crowd and screaming your head off.
When I watch it at home, I have too much nervous energy.
To each their own though.
I agree, there is NOTHING like being there with 80,000 of your friends when you pull off the big wins. I remember beating #6 UGA in our 2nd game after ending the 0-21 streak. I remember going crazy when Phil Petty rallied the team for their first ever win over Alabama. And I remember The Fade to beat Mississippi State when we seemed assured of a loss. I'll never forget any of those experiences in the stadium. Unfortunately, I also remember driving 1200 miles round trip from the DC area and spending a ridiculous sum of money to take my son to his first ever Carolina football game against Texas A&M a few years back when we were preseason #4.

As long as your fans have more experiences like the former rather than the later, the current business model holds up. UGA and Bama aren't going to have many empty seats next year. But when your fans are fully extending themselves financially to attend games, you'd better win to keep them coming back.

The reduction in attendance has happened in all conferences. The SEC still has the largest attendance of any conference.

I also remember driving 1200 miles round trip from the DC area and spending a ridiculous sum of money to take my son to his first ever Carolina football game against Texas A&M a few years back when we were preseason #4.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tail end of the baby boomers would rather not spend an entire day at a game and concentrate on saving $$ for retirement. The new G just doesn’t care about football. They would rather eat laundry detergent.
I used to go to all the home games. I have a family and honestly being down there all day kicks my ass. Tickets for any good games are hard to get so we end up going to see teams like La La which turned into a nail biter.

I am laughing at the timeliness of this picture, and distinctly remember walking out of the stadium going............. "I can't believe what I just saw!"
Our tailgate was silent for like an hour after this swiss cheese defense outing.

One of the great idiots of the 21st century.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
That's another reason I believe we ought to go ahead and add the ninth conference game. Greater value to the fans and enhanced strength of schedule.

Stupid idea. The relative strength of conferences is determined by OOC games. Teams will not give up a seventh home game. By going to 9 games you guarantee zero quality OOC games. Plus that 9th conference game stands just as good of a chance as hurting your SOS as helping. Wisconsin didn't get into the playoffs because they drew Maryland and Indiana from the Big ten east side which destroyed their SOS.

Reactions: DarkCock
Stupid idea. The relative strength of conferences is determined by OOC games. Teams will not give up a seventh home game. By going to 9 games you guarantee zero quality OOC games. Plus that 9th conference game stands just as good of a chance as hurting your SOS as helping. Wisconsin didn't get into the playoffs because they drew Maryland and Indiana from the Big ten east side which destroyed their SOS.
So the SEC is the only non-stupid Power-Five conference? Is that what you are saying? And did I not just see schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida State, Va Tech, and others opening the season with formidable OOC opponents, and Ohio State and Oklahoma doing a home and home? Bankrupt refutation.

I admittedly go to games for the social aspect. Getting to see family and friends is what makes it worth it. And I go into the game because I want to see it but watching from home is a better. I can flip and check out other games going on, I can set the DVR to start recording and I can start watching 15 minutes later and skip the "red shirt" guy.

An average home game costs me around $500-$700 but hanging out with the family for a few hours on a Saturday is well worth it.

I am laughing at the timeliness of this picture, and distinctly remember walking out of the stadium going............. "I can't believe what I just saw!"
Our tailgate was silent for like an hour after this swiss cheese defense outing.
One of the great idiots of the 21st century.
I laughed too. SS must have had a bad case of neuron misfires when he promoted him. It was the beginning of the end for SS as far as USC FB goes.
I think Fresno St. hired him as DC and he managed to destroy their defense too. I wish I could have been a complete failure in my working life and still manage to cry all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
It is still better to go to game. We get there in time to watch an entire game before, go to watch the gamecocks, walk out at halftime for tailgate, head back in for rest of game. Then stick around for another half of football. Worth every penny.

I think the future is more club seating and fewer seats at Williams Brice.
How do you get back in after halftime, extra tickets?

I laughed too. SS must have had a bad case of neuron misfires when he promoted him. It was the beginning of the end for SS as far as USC FB goes.
I think Fresno St. hired him as DC and he managed to destroy their defense too. I wish I could have been a complete failure in my working life and still manage to cry all the way to the bank.
I think he was perceived to be a better recruiter than he actually was.

Agree with this...the games are entirely too long. I don't have much free time, and I no longer spend a whole day at the stadium.
It's the shortest season with the fewest games in sports. I have no problem with it.

So the SEC is the only non-stupid Power-Five conference? Is that what you are saying? And did I not just see schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida State, Va Tech, and others opening the season with formidable OOC opponents, and Ohio State and Oklahoma doing a home and home? Bankrupt refutation.

Well, two SEC teams did play in the national championship game last year.

Well, two SEC teams did play in the national championship game last year.

Not because they played one fewer conference game. They each only played one quality OOC opponent (Ga. Tech wasn't that good this year) even while playing one less league game than schools from other conferences. No one loads up with quality OOC games, but not every conference opponent is a world-beater, either. But those games fill more seats and produce greater interest than the Louisiana Techs and Coastals of the world - plus they count in the conference standings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT