ADVERTISEMENT

LSU fans pissed at Dawn and her comments

Thoughts on the matchup with KY?
I watched their game against UGA and I was impressed. They play mostly an aggressive man-to-man defense and really get after Geogia. They generate turnovers (a problem for us against LSU) and turn those turnovers into transition points. In the half-court offense, they have one of the best offensive players in the country, Rhyne Howard.

Their major weakness is a lack of post-depth. That could be an issue Sunday against us, even if Cardoso and Amihere don't play. Jenna Staiti had 26 points against them. Edwards wasn't very aggressive defensively, I suspect for fear of fouling. They don't have much behind her on the bench. They were also out-rebounded by 14. That's obviously a concern for them playing Carolina.

For Kentucky to stand a chance, they need Carolina turn the ball over 20+ times. Certainly a possibility. Saxton and Lele had 7 combined turnovers against LSU. That's a crazy number considering how little we ask out of our 4 spot, offensively. If we limit our turnovers, our post game should be too much for them.

Reactions: sand1
I watched their game against UGA and I was impressed. They play mostly an aggressive man-to-man defense and really get after Geogia. They generate turnovers (a problem for us against LSU) and turn those turnovers into transition points. In the half-court offense, they have one of the best offensive players in the country, Rhyne Howard.

Their major weakness is a lack of post-depth. That could be an issue Sunday against us, even if Cardoso and Amihere don't play. Jenna Staiti had 26 points against them. Edwards wasn't very aggressive defensively, I suspect for fear of fouling. They don't have much behind her on the bench. They were also out-rebounded by 14. That's obviously a concern for them playing Carolina.

For Kentucky to stand a chance, they need Carolina turn the ball over 20+ times. Certainly a possibility. Saxton and Lele had 7 combined turnovers against LSU. That's a crazy number considering how little we ask out of our 4 spot, offensively. If we limit our turnovers, our post game should be too much for them.
Thank you. Appreciate it !!!

Reactions: DarkCock
Yep. The same core group of players and added the Super Senior forward from Vandy. They also added Alexis Morris who's played at Baylor, Rutgers, Texas A&M and now LSU. It's a team made up of grown women. They should be good and are good.

Mulkey's challenge lies in the future. I have no doubt she'll get them to the tournament regularly, but still yet to be seen if she can duplicate her success she had at Baylor. That was a lot of success!

We're the #1 team right NOW. So everyone is gunning for us, not just LSU. Time to turn our attention to Kentucky.
Oh yes, and because of the coach that she is she'll get recruits in the building. But I'm still curious as to why Moon Ursin left.... maybe she saw there was no place for her or something else transpired. Hmph!

Agreed though - on to Kentucky. They just beat Georgia, so they have momentum coming in on Sunday.

Reactions: DarkCock
Oh yes, and because of the coach that she is she'll get recruits in the building. But I'm still curious as to why Moon Ursin left.... maybe she saw there was no place for her or something else transpired. Hmph!

Agreed though - on to Kentucky. They just beat Georgia, so they have momentum coming in on Sunday.
I read that Moon's decision was based on academics. Her field of interest was not offered by LSU. Nursing? Don't know if that was valid or not.

From my post on 21-22 WBB THREAD

Amihere should be out of protocol for tomorrow🤞🤞🤞. If she is or isn’t, Beal will be the primary defender, but Howard will get a dose of Lele, Amihere and Saxton. This will keep Beal fresh, out of foul trouble and give Howard some different looks.

*UK is not a good rebounding team. No one over 6’2” on the team
*The stats say they are a good shooting team but that is deceptive. In the six cupcake games they shot VERY well and were 6-0. In their five games against tourney bound teams their shooting was average to below average. They were 2-3 in those games.
* They force 20 turnovers a game, need I say more?
*Six player rotation that is quite solid but plays heavy minutes. Two other players play spot minutes. Edwards 6’2” post had very good OOC. Her lack of size shows against tall/quality posts shows. Walker and Benton are double digit scorers who cannot be ignored. Massengill has been excellent at pg. 3-1 assists to turnover ratio but doesn’t really look to score.

Keys to win George Clinton edition... the P funk
Protect the ball
Pound the boards
Paint points
Push tempo

In other news, the Ole Miss make up date should be Feb 6. Both teams have an open date

I think we are the only people even talking about this.

No one else cares. Mulkey doesn't care. Dawn doesn't care.

Dawn very gently defended a friend of hers regarding her former employer Oh, the horror.

It's not like she had her sitting on the bench.

Go Cocks!
One of my UT friends mentioned to me today at the gym, that the remark was a slight on Mulkey being a white coach and LSU should've kept Fargas for political purposes...I did not have an answer to that....I will say, if Dawn is the greatest collegiate point guard to date, what will she say if Paige Bueckers or Catlin Clark gets that title after their collegiate days are over?

Haley Troup was one of the white girls that did commit to us, but quickly left for MIzzou....She was very important in the win for Mizzou against us...why did she have a change of heart?

Reactions: UtahGamecock
One of my UT friends mentioned to me today at the gym, that the remark was a slight on Mulkey being a white coach and LSU should've kept Fargas for political purposes...I did not have an answer to that....I will say, if Dawn is the greatest collegiate point guard to date, what will she say if Paige Bueckers or Catlin Clark gets that title after their collegiate days are over?

Haley Troup was one of the white girls that did commit to us, but quickly left for MIzzou....She was very important in the win for Mizzou against us...why did she have a change of heart?
I know why, but I won't say publicly. It really had nothing to do with Carolina.

Dawn very gently defended a friend of hers regarding her former employer Oh, the horror.

we are certainly not the only ones bringing this up...but the lsu fan base is all over it

Dawn was actually complementing the crowd. She was asked the biggest difference between playing LSU this year and last year she first mentioned the crowd size (which may have also been a compliment to Mulkey, for building enthusiasm). She then said that if Nikki had that kind support, she may still be the coach. I didn't hear it as a knock at all.

Agreed! That was a setup question designed to create an evocative response.

Last edited:

Fargas and DS go back 30 years. They played against each other in a national championship game. Nikki May have even guarded Dawn some. Former USC assistant coach Nikki McCray Pinson also played on that Tennessee team. When McCray Pinson had cancer Fargas was very supportive, as she was when cancer struck Dawn’s family. They are longtime friends.

Dawn got baited and just responded. It probably was some political, some sticking up for her friend.

Fargas came to LSU from UCLA where she had totally turned that program around in three years. UCLA had been to the tourney once in the previous decade. She won 25 games in year two and 28 games in year three. UCLA got her on the cheap as a first time head coach. LSU tripled her salary.

LSU’s previous two coaches were well....
Pokey Chatman was beloved until she got fired for “dating” a player. Van Chancellor took over and only lasted four years and then resigned out of the blue.

Dawn WAS NOT INACCURATE about Fargas not getting support from fans or admin. even though being very successful for her first 5-6 year.

Why was that? Could have been because she was an “outsider” as a UT Grad. Could have been political, could have been LSU fans just didn’t GAS anymore about WBB, or that Fargas just didn't connect.

Her teams were always well coached and prepared. Excellent on defense not as much on O. She was hired immediately by Las Vegas Aces and to be a WBB analyst on SEC network.

Troup came to summer school so that she could go on the team’s two week overseas exhibition tour of Japan. She left immediately after summer school.

Could have been any number of things; homesick, didn’t feel like she truly fit in, came to the realization that she was the worst player on the team (which she was) and that future was four years on the bench getting contributing spot play maybe by her junior year.

Last edited:
In 2008, Susan Walvius and former South Carolina assistant Michelle Marciniak (played for Tennessee) founded SHEEX, Inc., a company that is said to offer "the world's first athletic-performance sheets". Constructed from materials commonly found in modern athletic wear, SHEEX provide similar moisture-wicking, temperature-control, breathability and stretch not found in traditional cotton sheeting.[3]

Oh lord. Are we going to pretend we aren't bandwagon women's basketball fans?

You resort to insults. I use actual data.
Please share the actual data for the first quote.

thanks “we” will wait patiently.

free advice you may want to find a new narrative where Dawn is concerned or take the new bandwagon move called “opting out”

just trying to help & understand
Your life long concerned Gamecock sports fan & graduate. I did bandwagon the ladies beach volleyball a few years ago on their tournament run but felt ok with it.

At the LSU post game interview I thought I heard Mulkey say to the press, "where were y'all last year?"

If so doesn't that sounds supportive of Dawn's statement?
She brings relevance too most of them beating them most of the time. She brings extreme attention losing on rare occasion. The sport & conference are beneficiaries of her. Our school is beyond blessed she’s here (bandwagon folks & all).
She provides some much needed post season relevance where we are in short supply.

Last edited:

Somehow there is always the undercurrent of the skin color issue when DS is involved.
Coincidence?
It gets old.

I hate what you're trying to imply with your wording. Troup was heavily recruited here by Nikki McCray who left following our national championship. When McCray was out of the picture, her biggest cheerleader was gone and she had a tough line up of guards to compete with to see real playing time. Some kids are willing to wait some aren't.

Now if you want to be genuine in your critique, then you should have the same question on Ladhazia Williams, she also transferred from here to Missouri, she isn't white and she was far more important to the outcome of the game. Some kids see the writing on the wall and rather go some place where they'll see the floor more often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT