ADVERTISEMENT

LSU fans pissed at Dawn and her comments

We love it when we are hated. Most are too young to remember men’s basketball before we left the ACC. We beat them all one year and we were hated. It means they are scared to play you. We would not back down to their bullying.
We weren't the first team to go undefeated in the regular season.

A lot of that hatred was fueled by the way McGuire motivated the team, i.e., the chip on the shoulder, the us against the world kind of stuff.

Reactions: nikolas22
Somehow there is always the undercurrent of the skin color issue when DS is involved.
Coincidence?
It gets old.
It's common knowledge, even other schools fans mention it....so it's not me....I was just making a comment based on a friend of mine who is a UT fan and what some of the LSU fans were implying...not my words...however, that being said, I don't have to state the obvious....

Reactions: UtahGamecock
It's common knowledge, even other schools fans mention it....so it's not me....I was just making a comment based on a friend of mine who is a UT fan and what some of the LSU fans were implying...not my words...however, that being said, I don't have to state the obvious....
Why would we listen to other fanbases about what happens at our school? Sounds like sour grapes to me from other fans that they haven't had the same success.

If she was the terrible person you make her out to be, she would have never offered Troup a scholarship in the first place, she wouldn't have given Caitlin Clark the Dawn Staley award last season or would have ever been the coach for team USA. Why would she waste her time recruiting players of all backgrounds and extending offers if what you say is true. I think Dawn and company are doing plenty fine without other "fanbases" theories of what happens in Columbia.

Please share the actual data for the first quote.

thanks “we” will wait patiently.

free advice you may want to find a new narrative where Dawn is concerned or take the new bandwagon move called “opting out”

just trying to help & understand
Your life long concerned Gamecock sports fan & graduate. I did bandwagon the ladies beach volleyball a few years ago on their tournament run but felt ok with it.
Any glimpse at our women’s basketball attendance will show how we are bandwagon fans.

When I was a Carolina student we flip flopped from inside the top 50 to outside the top 50 in attendance.

Why would we listen to other fanbases about what happens at our school? Sounds like sour grapes to me from other fans that they haven't had the same success.

If she was the terrible person you make her out to be, she would have never offered Troup a scholarship in the first place, she wouldn't have given Caitlin Clark the Dawn Staley award last season or would have ever been the coach for team USA. Why would she waste her time recruiting players of all backgrounds and extending offers if what you say is true. I think Dawn and company are doing plenty fine without other "fanbases" theories of what happens in Columbia.

Offers extended are not a measure.
Offers accepted are what matters.

If she was the terrible person you make her out to be
I never once said she was a terrible person...I don't have an opinion either way...The only thing I've ever said is that she get's none of the top white girl basketball players...that's either because she is not recruiting them or they don't want to come to a program where there are so few white players...that's all....

I never once said she was a terrible person...I don't have an opinion either way...The only thing I've ever said is that she get's none of the top white girl basketball players...that's either because she is not recruiting them or they don't want to come to a program where there are so few white players...that's all....
Why does this subject never come up with the men's teams? Is anyone concerned we're not getting the top "white" players for those teams? It's so obvious what the issue really is with some of our fans. Dawn Staley is going to continue to get the best players she can and not worry about checking the "white" column.

A
Why does this subject never come up with the men's teams? Is anyone concerned we're not getting the top "white" players for those teams? It's so obvious what the issue really is with some of our fans. Dawn Staley is going to continue to get the best players she can and not worry about checking the "white" column.
I thought the only thing that mattered was Carolina on the front of their jersey and the content of their character. I mean besides being a kick ass basketball player.

If she is actively not recruiting players based on the color of their skin as you said your friends have implied, then that would make her a terrible person.

I like how that's the only thing that you got from my posts. Dawn recruits the best players she can get that will help the team succeed , it's up to the players to decide what program they want to go to, as shocking as it may seem many black players also choose other schools, Rhyne Howard of Kentucky is a prime example.

Considering in the past few years we ended the season at #1(Covid cancellation year), were a basket away in the final four last season and are currently favorites to win the title this season, she must be doing something right. I will say that with two #1 recruiting classes(on one roster), 11 McDonald's All Americans and being ranked the #1 team in country with a historic season of quality wins already in January. If after all that, all someone can see is race then that say a lot more about them than the staff of one of the best programs in the nation.

If she is actively not recruiting players based on the color of their skin as you said your friends have implied, then that would make her a terrible person.

I like how that's the only thing that you got from my posts. Dawn recruits the best players she can get that will help the team succeed , it's up to the players to decide what program they want to go to, as shocking as it may seem many black players also choose other schools, Rhyne Howard of Kentucky is a prime example.

Considering in the past few years we ended the season at #1(Covid cancellation year), were a basket away in the final four last season and are currently favorites to win the title this season, she must be doing something right. I will say that with two #1 recruiting classes(on one roster), 11 McDonald's All Americans and being ranked the #1 team in country with a historic season of quality wins already in January. If after all that, all someone can see is race then that say a lot more about them than the staff of one of the best programs in the nation.
Amen!!!!

We’ve had several prominent white guys on the men’s team right?

Reactions: Cybercock
The haters might want to check how many white players take the field for Bama tonight. About the only contributor who's not a kicker is Slade Bolden. a 3 star prospect out of high school. No one on Bama Rant seems concerned Saban is landing the top high school white players. Really makes you wonder about some of the posters on here.

Do you really believe the female equivalent of Maik Kotsar could see the floor on our women's team?

We went to the Final Four last season and our #1 ranked currently with the players we have. Just don't see this as an issue.

This has become such an odd argument on your part. You really don't think any white girls could contribute to our team?

we are certainly not the only ones bringing this up...but the lsu fan base is all over it

If LSU fans want to talk about a basketball game from last week, that's terrific.

If they are whining about Dawn Staley taking up for her friend, that's terrific.

We should feel honored.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
This has become such an odd argument on your part. You really don't think any white girls could contribute to our team?

Who cares?

I want the best players that are willing to come here and play.

Funny, when I am watching our teams, I'm not focused on their skin color. But that's me. Obviously, it's a really big deal to some folks here for some odd, really strange...........reason

Who cares?

Funny, when I am watching our teams, I'm not focused on their skin color. But that's me. Obviously, it's a really big deal to some folks here for some odd, really strange...........reason
IMO, the best players are those who are most talented, team oriented, and have good character. Somehow, I think DS feels the same way.😁

IMO, the best players are those who are most talented, team oriented, and have good character. Somehow, I think DS feels the same way.😁

So after a century of coaching here, she hasnt been able to find more than 5 or 6 that meet that criteria that are white?

Again... it really doesnt matter IF she is truly landing the best talent and who can argue with the results however....
As i have said before, its either a lack of a true recruiting effort or this is an uninviting environment for caucasian players.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Who cares?

But you wouldn’t want a white girl who could make the team better?

But you wouldn’t want a white girl who could make the team better?

Exactly.... the key part is
" that are willing to come here and play."
For some reason they arent. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.
Again... we are number 1 in the country and have built a dynasty so it is what it is however the racial disparity is certainly more than a coincidence.

I'm not getting into deep on this but there were 1 or 2 on Stanfords team that would start for us.
Only Haley Jones on Stanford would start for us. Is she white or black? What about Brea? Do you bigots subscribe to the one drop rule?

Only Haley Jones on Stanford would start for us. Is she white or black? What about Brea? Do you bigots subscribe to the one drop rule?
Not sure who your calling a bigot but Haley Jones could certainly start here but Lexie Hull could as well. We don't have a shooter on the perimeter that shoots consistently like she does. If we did it would eliminate teams packing it in on our bigs.

Last edited:
It is clear that members of this board will never be satisfied with Dawn Staley. That is your problem not mine.
Dawn will probably be here 20 more years....: yeah i’ll get to watch Banners go up for 20 years. You will snivel, whine and bitch for 20 years. Wonder which one of us will be happier?

We do have some white players on the women’s basketball team. Where is your whining on the baseball team makeup? Yearly, in baseball, we have few if any black players. Haven’t noticed anyone discussing our lack of black players in that sport. Our soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis teams, etc. lack much if any diversity.

We do have some white players on the women’s basketball team. Where is your whining on the baseball team makeup? Yearly, in baseball, we have few if any black players. Haven’t noticed anyone discussing our lack of black players in that sport. Our soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis teams, etc. lack much if any diversity.
Please understand it’s not me but fans from other schools that mention this repeatedly

Our Equestrian team has won three national championships and finished second a couple of times. It has 37 members!!! With 1 African American. Why can’t Coach Major recruit African American Riders? She either is not trying or she has deliberately created an atmosphere that is uninviting! What is she going to do to correct this?

Our Women’s soccer team has gone to a final four and 3 other elite eights in the last six years.
During this time period there has been 60-70 players come through and only ONE African American on the squad. Are there no African American women good enough to play on our team? Why is Coach Smith not getting into those households to recruit? Everyone else in the SEC has done better than this. Clearly we care more about skin color than talent.

Please note SARCASM. I have had season tickets to women’s for almost 15 years and also attend an occasional equestrian match if I am in Blythewood at the right time. Again, all that matters is that Carolina is on the front, the content of their character, and their skill in the sport.

Last edited:
It is clear that members of this board will never be satisfied with Dawn Staley. That is your problem not mine.
Dawn will probably be here 20 more years....: yeah i’ll get to watch Banners go up for 20 years. You will snivel, whine and bitch for 20 years. Wonder which one of us will be happier?

Honestly if we are even able to keep her for half of that then I'd be ecstatic. She is such a Icon in women's basketball, and with that the opportunities for her to make more of a impact are certainly to continue to come her way and it will get harder and harder for her to say no.

Last edited:
Please understand it’s not me but fans from other schools that mention this repeatedly

Our Equestrian team has won three national championships and finished second a couple of times. It has 37 members!!! With 1 African American. Why can’t Coach Major recruit African American Riders? She either is not trying or she has deliberately created an atmosphere that is uninviting! What is she going to do to correct this?

Our Women’s soccer team has gone to a final four and 3 other elite eights in the last six years.
During this time period there has been 60-70 players come through and only ONE African American on the squad. Are there no African American women good enough to play on our team? Why is Coach Smith not getting into those households to recruit? Everyone else in the SEC has done better than this. Clearly we care more about skin color than talent.

Please note SARCASM. I have had season tickets to women’s for almost 15 years and also attend an occasional equestrian match if I am in Blythewood at the right time. Again, all that matters is that Carolina is on the front, the content of their character, and their skill in the sport.
It is interesting that you picked 2 women sports to use sarcasm with. Does our baseball team have even one black player? Have other schools mentioned the diversity repeatedly about our baseball team having a white coach and white players?
I feel the discussion by other schools has to do with a successful black woman having success with a team that has few white players…period. It is another way by some to criticize our coach…even those on this forum.

Last edited:
People do talk about the lack of diversity in those sports.

MLB has an entire initiative to increase African American participation in the sport.

The Equestrian team has won three national championships and finished second a couple of times. It has 37 members!!! With 1 African American. Why can’t Coach Major recruit African American Riders? She either is not trying or she has deliberately created an atmosphere that is uninviting! What is she going to do to correct this?

It is interesting that you picked 2 women sports to use sarcasm with. Does our baseball team have even one black player? Have other schools mentioned the diversity repeatedly about our baseball team having a white coach and white players?
I feel the discussion by other schools has to do with a successful black woman having success with a team that has few white players…period. It is another way by some to criticize our coach.
There is very little discussion by other schools, only hating by their fans that are getting their asses kicked.

Those on this board who say it is other fans bringing this up....... I imagine they are using that as a false front for their own feelings

Again you are missing the point.
We are losing highly qualified talent to other schools because of our inability to recruit and sign certain players.
That should be a concern.

Again you are missing the point.
We are losing highly qualified talent to other schools because of our inability to recruit and sign certain players.
That should be a concern.
As clearly our soccer team and equestrian team are.

I am intrigued that you used “certain” players than coming out and saying what you truly meant..... white players

We have a roster of 16...... 11 are McDonalds All Americans, Cardoso(Brazil) and Amihere(Canada) were top 10 recruits and ineligible to be All Americans🤣. 2 are in state players, we recruited one as a walk-on and the other because DS had a thin roster and a scholly to give. The last being Lele who was only the #24 national recruit. I’m sorry the talent level on the squad disappoints you

Last edited:
Exactly.... the key part is
" that are willing to come here and play."
For some reason they arent. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.
Again... we are number 1 in the country and have built a dynasty so it is what it is however the racial disparity is certainly more than a coincidence.
Those that have a problem with the players Dawn recruits probably don't support our team anyway. They have bigger issues which is sad. How in the world can you complaint about having a #1 ranked team led by a coach that consistently pulls in top recruiting classes? I am a season ticket holder and the CLA is filled with fans that adore our players and coaches. I wouldn't trade any of the them.

As clearly our soccer team and equestrian team are.

I am intrigued that you used “certain” players than coming out and saying what you truly meant..... white players

We have a roster of 16...... 11 are McDonalds All Americans, Cardoso(Brazil) and Amihere(Canada) were top 10 recruits and ineligible to be All Americans🤣. 2 are in state players, we recruited one as a walk-on and the other because DS had a thin roster and a scholly to give. The last being Lele who was only the #24 national recruit. I’m sorry the talent level on the squad disappoints you

Again this is such a weird argument. "It's ok to lack diversity because we are good"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT