ADVERTISEMENT

LSU vs FSU

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Brett McMurphy reported that LSU and FSU will play the 2022 season opener in New Orleans and the 2023 opener in Orlando. What do you think of neutral site games? Texas vs OU is always in Dallas. Can you see SC scheduling any neutral site games?

Brett McMurphy reported that LSU and FSU will play the 2022 season opener in New Orleans and the 2023 opener in Orlando. What do you think of neutral site games? Texas vs OU is always in Dallas. Can you see SC scheduling any neutral site games?
Not a fan. But if we had a great program, which I hope we will, I might reconsider. N.C. State, ECU, or UNC before a half-empty stadium in Charlotte ain't making it.

Reactions: Judson1
It needs to be a headliner and we need to be up to it. Otherwise, it's not worth it.
Exactly, some of you are not thinking big. If were talking about a Season Opener at a neutral site, these past regional games (UNC,NCSU) just don't stir much excitement particularly on the national scale.
It would be nice to get a school like Stanford, Oregon, Penn St, and the likes to play against.
However, it's really not up to us but the officials who sponser these games

Would love a home and home versus TOSU....just because I'd love a reason to go to Ohio Stadium again. That place is awesome.

Exactly, some of you are not thinking big. If were talking about a Season Opener at a neutral site, these past regional games (UNC,NCSU) just don't stir much excitement particularly on the national scale.
It would be nice to get a school like Stanford, Oregon, Penn St, and the likes to play against.
However, it's really not up to us but the officials who sponser these games
It's up to us to warrant a marquee matchup.

And Georgia vs Florida is always in Jacksonville.

What was hinted at, Battleship, but not made clear, is that USC has scheduled some neutral site games in Charlotte, NC vs North Carolina, North Carolina State, and East Carolina in the past several years. And we're got future matches vs the Tar Heels scheduled for the Queen City as well.

I personally like the season opening neutral site games. Just this year alone we have Auburn vs Washington, Miami vs LSU to just name two. That is must see TV.
Then you have Texas vs Maryland , Ole Miss vs Texas Tech, and Tenn vs West Virginia not required watching but worth checking in on.

I'm definitely not a fan of playing annual rivalry games at a neutral site. Frankly, I think Florida and UGA fans miss out on not getting true home games against each other. I'd rather go to their place and take their best shot and have them come to our place the next year and give them ours. Same goes for our occasional games against North Carolina schools. I'd rather play at their place in front of their 55,000 fans and then make them play at our place in front of our 85,000 than play two games in Charlotte in front of 50,000 fans.

Reactions: king ward
OOC Scheduling comes from the head coach and AD working together to make themselves look great. Before big Conference TV contracts there were huge benefits of picking up the TV contracts but now you will be on TV either way.

So here are determining factors: how much money?, is it in our primary recruiting territory?, do we lose a home game?, what's odds of losing and losing post season play or post season "BONUSES", and what opportunity to gain a home and home if it starts as a neutral game site.

Big annual TV contracts already exists which combined with potential loss of a home game substantially reduce those opportunities.

That said, it's time to play games outside of ECU, Marshall, etc, etc. I think great territory games for interest and recruiting would be like Miami (esp with Richt), Maryland, Louisville, Pitt and then putting name in regions of interest, big TV contracts and not schools where we likely can't compete in recruiting like ND, OSU, Texas.

I think that makes sense, I hope?

OOC Scheduling comes from the head coach and AD working together to make themselves look great. Before big Conference TV contracts there were huge benefits of picking up the TV contracts but now you will be on TV either way.

So here are determining factors: how much money?, is it in our primary recruiting territory?, do we lose a home game?, what's odds of losing and losing post season play or post season "BONUSES", and what opportunity to gain a home and home if it starts as a neutral game site.

Big annual TV contracts already exists which combined with potential loss of a home game substantially reduce those opportunities.

That said, it's time to play games outside of ECU, Marshall, etc, etc. I think great territory games for interest and recruiting would be like Miami (esp with Richt), Maryland, Louisville, Pitt and then putting name in regions of interest, big TV contracts and not schools where we likely can't compete in recruiting like ND, OSU, Texas.

I think that makes sense, I hope?
Pretty good synopsis. I think we're talking now about games with national impact. To get those, you have to be seen as a current national contender, especially if, like us, you aren't historically a legacy program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT