ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Doty can be our Hunter Renfrow

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
He has been practicing at wide receiver a bit form what I hear. He is ultra athletic and everyone knows our Wide Receivers are one of our most unknown if not weakest positions on the team right now. I am not knocking the kid from Wingate at all but if a transfer from that level is supposed to come in and be one of your better receivers, then you are either not developing worth a lick or not recruiting the position very well. I think Doty could do very well at Wide Receiver for us and especially with Hilinski and Hill this year and possible the other 5 star from Georgia coming in later. Imagine the creativity you could have as a play caller with both Doty and Dakereon playing receiver on sweeps, wideout passes, etc.
However, creativity on offense and Muschamp are two things that are never used in the same sentence.

He has been practicing at wide receiver a bit form what I hear. He is ultra athletic and everyone knows our Wide Receivers are one of our most unknown if not weakest positions on the team right now. I am not knocking the kid from Wingate at all but if a transfer from that level is supposed to come in and be one of your better receivers, then you are either not developing worth a lick or not recruiting the position very well. I think Doty could do very well at Wide Receiver for us and especially with Hilinski and Hill this year and possible the other 5 star from Georgia coming in later. Imagine the creativity you could have as a play caller with both Doty and Dakereon playing receiver on sweeps, wideout passes, etc.
However, creativity on offense and Muschamp are two things that are never used in the same sentence.
I would take that. Hope for the best whatever plays out.

Saw both of them play multiple times against pretty good Hartsville teams. Renfrow smaller, shifty, very quick, knew how to avoid big hit, smart, tremendous knowledge of game as high school QB. We all saw the same as receiver at CU.

Doty is all that and just bigger and more talented. Sky is the limit, IF he can progress at WR and/or QB. We just need him on the field to make plays. Very special player- potentially.

Doty is an elite QB prospect
Renfrow was not
Renfrow wasnt repping at QB nor brought on to play QB

I get your point and it's possible doty helps, but it's a big risk

Our WR corp must be really bad and thin if they are taking a prized QB recruit and putting him out there already. About sums up the state of the program.

Agreed . I think this shows our ineptitude at WR way more than Doty’s athletic ability . Seems to me they are grasping for straws to find an explosive playmaker .

Dak Joyner has over a year of development switching from QB to WR over Doty, is likely more athletic and still looked like he was a lost cause at WR last season. Much like your point about the transfer- if we are relying on converted QBs to be contributors at WR right away, we are in big trouble! Sure they work out sometimes... Kenny McKinley being perhaps the best example at Carolina. But I think we all agree he was a special player, and a much better athlete than Doty or Dak. Personally I would bet on the transfer Who has already been an all conference player in college at WR over either of those QBs. He is long, athletic and fast by all accounts. Hope he gets cleared to play immediately (whenever that may be??)... But we need Shi Smith, Ortre Smith, Xavier Leggette, Josh Vann... To step up! Those other guys can be second/third... string options or “break glass in case of emergency” type guys.. but if our core of returning receivers cannot show dramatic improvement, we will struggle on offense again I am afraid and I am not optimistic about their prospects currently. If last year was any indication... yikes

Reactions: taiwancock
If USC doesn’t have a QB that can get out of trouble when things go bad they’re in for a long season. From what I’ve seen with R.H. he doesn’t have that skill set.

Reactions: Brace1
If USC doesn’t have a QB that can get out of trouble when things go bad they’re in for a long season. From what I’ve seen with R.H. he doesn’t have that skill set.
Kid from Colorado State gonna be the starter, I'm thinking.

I remember seeing an interview in which Doty said after a game that he wanted to play wherever he could if he wasn’t starting at QB.

Wouldn't mind him being our next Connor Shaw.

He has more speed than Renfro. He will be more like our next Debo.

Have to give the devil his due, hunter was a good one to watch.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
I remember seeing an interview in which Doty said after a game that he wanted to play wherever he could if he wasn’t starting at QB.
I love his mentality. Honestly, if he’s the number one at qb entering the season, it doesn’t bode well. I hope he’s our next Connor Shaw. He may well be, he’s just not ready to be thrown into an all SEC season a year removed from high school. I’m all about putting playmakers on the field and letting them do their thing and contribute wherever they can.

As someone else said, the fact this is even being discussed is an indictment of our WR recruiting/coaching.

What's not being discussed is that if he turns out to be as good/better than the scholarship WRs already on the roster, do we only use him for a third of the season? Or do we use him the whole year and burn his RS and keep just one year between him and Hilinski? Or would he be another QB never materializes under Muschamp?

With our history of injuries, if Muschamp plays him at WR l, or anywhere else, and we lose our QB of the future...he should be fired on the spot. Get this kid some reps and let him push Hilinski.

With our history of injuries, if Muschamp plays him at WR l, or anywhere else, and we lose our QB of the future...he should be fired on the spot.

Nonsense.

Doty could blow a knee or pop an Achilles practicing/playing QB, or just walking up stairs. You expect to fire Muschamp for that?

If he can help the team this year playing WR, why not put him there? He has Hill and Hilinski ahead of him, barring injury or poor play he'll likely not see the field this year.

And he's not necessarily the "QB of the future"....Hilinski has at least two seasons left, maybe three. We have a current commit from a guy who's rated highly, and have made the final two for another QB who if he commits here might be the highest rated QB commit we've ever had.

For whatever reasons we've done a bad job evaluating/signing impact WR's. Doty is very athletic, reportedly runs a sub-4.5 forty. If he can help the team at WR instead of running scout team this year, we need to play him.

Saw both of them play multiple times against pretty good Hartsville teams. Renfrow smaller, shifty, very quick, knew how to avoid big hit, smart, tremendous knowledge of game as high school QB. We all saw the same as receiver at CU.

Doty is all that and just bigger and more talented. Sky is the limit, IF he can progress at WR and/or QB. We just need him on the field to make plays. Very special player- potentially.
Bigger/similar? Ok, I agree. More talented?? Yeah, that’s a stretch. Renfrow excelled because of his superb route running skills coupled with a pair of the best hands I’ve ever witnessed in college football. If Doty earns a starting position in the NFL his rookie season (by week 1 I’ll add), then I’d agree. If he were a bigger, more talented Renfrow, there’d be no question regarding the position he’d be playing. BTW, echo 02 grad and live in Hartsville.

Reactions: Zann77
Nonsense.

Doty could blow a knee or pop an Achilles practicing/playing QB, or just walking up stairs. You expect to fire Muschamp for that?

If he can help the team this year playing WR, why not put him there? He has Hill and Hilinski ahead of him, barring injury or poor play he'll likely not see the field this year.

And he's not necessarily the "QB of the future"....Hilinski has at least two seasons left, maybe three. We have a current commit from a guy who's rated highly, and have made the final two for another QB who if he commits here might be the highest rated QB commit we've ever had.

For whatever reasons we've done a bad job evaluating/signing impact WR's. Doty is very athletic, reportedly runs a sub-4.5 forty. If he can help the team at WR instead of running scout team this year, we need to play him.

Of course you don’t fire Muschamp for playing the kid at the position he’s recruited to play at. That’s quite a reach IMHO. Right now we need Doty to be a QB. This mix at WR stuff isn’t going to work. Let him play QB until it’s evident he’s not going to be the QB. Joyner didn’t do much as a WR last year splitting the position.

We just had major injury issues at the QB position last year. We’ve had major injury issues under Muschamp and he has major injury issues at UF. Doty needs to do everything possible to be the best QB possible before he goes and practices another position. He’s not just some slouch and I’d expect he’d come in and compete at a very high level. He brings a skill set that we don’t have at the position. Hilinski did ok last year and had some bright spots...but we need to be much better this year at QB and going forward. Doty needs to be in that conversation full-time right now...not running around half-a$$ing WR because he’s trying to play / learn two positions. Not that his effort would be lacking...but his effectiveness at each position would be set back doing it.

That’s just great. Who can be our Watson and Lawrence?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
When I saw Willy talking about playing Doty at Wide Receiver I just shook my head. For real though, it just another example of incompetence from our head coach. He shouldn’t even think about playing Doty at that position, if the kid looks horrible “in practice, at the QB position then make a switch but until then keep him focused on being a QB only!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Getting him reps at WR position doesn’t mean they necessarily want to move him there.

Bigger/similar? Ok, I agree. More talented?? Yeah, that’s a stretch. Renfrow excelled because of his superb route running skills coupled with a pair of the best hands I’ve ever witnessed in college football. If Doty earns a starting position in the NFL his rookie season (by week 1 I’ll add), then I’d agree. If he were a bigger, more talented Renfrow, there’d be no question regarding the position he’d be playing. BTW, echo 02 grad and live in Hartsville.
I realize you guys love protecting your boy Hunter, and no question he has good hands and runs great routes, but the comparison is not where they both are now- it's where they each were entering college. Watch their high school film. Both are really good- Doty just looks better. Again, Doty's potential upside is greater. No doubt Renfrow has the heart of a champion and was picked up by a pro team desperate for anything close to the Welker/Edelman class. At CU, Renfrow was a great supporting cast member. At USC, Doty could be the star we need to get back to respectability.

Stalag ECHO '97 and live in Kelleytown

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT