ADVERTISEMENT

Martin Sits Silva Some 20 Minutes...Loses in OT

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
takes Silva out at 5 minute mark of second half after a bad pass with two men hanging all over him

takes Silva out at 5 minute mark of second half after a bad pass with two men hanging all over him
What's your point? He always sits for the rest of the 1st half after 2 fouls and they came early. He played all but 6-7 min of the 2nd half and OT even though he was being very careless with the ball.

Reactions: funktavious
What's your point? He always sits for the rest of the 1st half after 2 fouls and they came early. He played all but 6-7 min of the 2nd half and OT even though he was being very careless with the ball.

My point is you don't win close games with your best player/leader sitting on the pine. Silva finished with only 4 fouls. Silva makes one bad pass with two guys draped all over him. Martin loses his temper and takes him out of the game, That's my point!

Last edited:
My point is you don't win close games with your best player/leader sitting on the pine. Silva finished with only 3 fouls. Silva makes one bad pass with two guys draped all over him. Martin loses his temper and takes him out of the game, That's my point!
Bs. He can't play every minute. He sat 3 minutes after the turnover. Martin doesn't lose his temper after one bad play. Silva also got stripped 3-4 times in the 2nd half. He must've needed a rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
Silva deserved to sit a while in this game. He is our best player but not yesterday. Martin takes a bunch of lesser talent players and wins games against better teams and some people think they could coach this team better.

Silva deserved to sit a while in this game. He is our best player but not yesterday. Martin takes a bunch of lesser talent players and wins games against better teams and some people think they could coach this team better.

Silva only played 24 of 45 minutes. I had rather let a player go as long as possible rather than lose minutes because that player might foul out. To me, it's negative thinking. Having a player sitting has the same result as having fouled out ie: he's not on the court.

I've been a fan of Martin since he got to SC and that hasn't changed.

The way he used Silva in the 2nd half yesterday was inexcusable. Taking him out inside 5 minutes yesterday was ridiculous.

Silva, the best player was double teamed most of the times he got the ball down low.. Teams with good post players are realizing SC is very limited physically, besides Silva, when the ball goes inside

Martin has shown more frustration this year, jerking players in and out of games for one mistake...this is a mistake, imo.

Reactions: obcscfan
The last 7 minutes of the game was some of the worst ball playing I've seen from Silva all year. He was getting stripped, throwing the ball away. He needed to sit down for a minute or two to regain his composure. Miss State was being very active on defense and he seemed to be a little rattled. Maybe that was the reason the other guys seemed to stop passing him the ball in the post. I know one time he had position right under the basket and instead of Mike passing him the ball, he tried to drive and ended up putting up a missed shot.

Silva with 4 fouls is a tough call to make. I agree that it seems like wasted minutes to have him spend minutes on the bench and then never foul out. Seems like he could have spent more time in the game.

On the other hand, if he does foul out early, he's one of our best free throw shooters so you wind up in trouble if it comes down to a free throw battle at the the end.

Tough choice. It's easy to look back afterwards and know what would have worked. It's also easy to sit on your ass at home and guess what would work better when you have nothing more than bragging rights on the line based on your decision.

Frank Martin sees and knows a lot more than any of us, about the game and about the players on a day-to-day basis. I'll let him make the decisions. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. Hopefully it's more of the former. I'll sit back and watch and pull for us to win.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88

Silva only played 24 of 45 minutes. I had rather let a player go as long as possible rather than lose minutes because that player might foul out. To me, it's negative thinking. Having a player sitting has the same result as having fouled out ie: he's not on the court.
Silva had 2 fouls on him with 35 minutes left in regulation. How many more would you let him get called for before sitting him?

Had he played longer we probably would have lost by 15. He was bad, bad, bad for most of the game and especially in crunch time. I think he had three turnovers in the last couple of minutes.

Silva with 4 fouls is a tough call to make. I agree that it seems like wasted minutes to have him spend minutes on the bench and then never foul out. Seems like he could have spent more time in the game.

On the other hand, if he does foul out early, he's one of our best free throw shooters so you wind up in trouble if it comes down to a free throw battle at the the end.

Tough choice. It's easy to look back afterwards and know what would have worked. It's also easy to sit on your ass at home and guess what would work better when you have nothing more than bragging rights on the line based on your decision.

Frank Martin sees and knows a lot more than any of us, about the game and about the players on a day-to-day basis. I'll let him make the decisions. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. Hopefully it's more of the former. I'll sit back and watch and pull for us to win.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88

actually i'm sitting on a cushion

Silva started strong but then he got into foul trouble and had to sit out so long in the first half. When he came back in the second he lost all his rhythm and played very poorly on the offensive end. It affected the whole team but just a couple more made shots and we would have won

Inside 10 minutes Silva sat with 3 fouls. I would have had him in the game. I pull for the Gamecocks. I love Frank Martin. That does not mean I always agree with him. Frank will lose a game to make a point. For example he was detetmined that we would be a man to man team even if we were too slow early in the season to play teams off the dribble. We lost a couple of games early because ha would not settle for the zone. We are at this point a much better man to man team. Maybe thesr messages will help us before the season is over.

The last 7 minutes of the game was some of the worst ball playing I've seen from Silva all year. He was getting stripped, throwing the ball away. He needed to sit down for a minute or two to regain his composure. Miss State was being very active on defense and he seemed to be a little rattled. Maybe that was the reason the other guys seemed to stop passing him the ball in the post. I know one time he had position right under the basket and instead of Mike passing him the ball, he tried to drive and ended up putting up a missed shot.

Exactly ^. This is the point that not only the OP, but others have missed. Chris played poorly and without any poise, something we've seen far too often during the 2nd half of conference play. He is still unable to consistently handle hard double-teams and avoid ticky tack fouls that cause him to have to sit and "lose his rhythm" or whatever kind of nonsensical excuses some others are making for him. To be fair, Chris has been brilliant at times this season but this is not the game to complain about the HC and let our best player off the hook. Even when CFM tried to give him a chance late he continued to turn the ball over, costing us valuable possessions in a game we should've won. Believe it or not, it's actually ok to criticize the players at times.

Reactions: sandlapper59
On point. However it's never too wise to take a guy out with 2 fouls before the first half ends.

It wasn't just Silva. The entire team does not protect the ball. They hold the ball down low and the opponents easily strip the ball away time after time. I learned in Jr. High School to protect the ball. When you get the ball and are closely guarded you bring it up and hold it under your chin with elbows out. There is no way it can be stripped without a foul. This has been going on all year long. I wonder why? Is it Martin not coaching them on this, or is it the entire team not listening and following the coaching?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT