ADVERTISEMENT

Max Johnson LSU starting QB in the portal

budman1976

May 10, 2005
Chapin, SC
so LSU starting qb (4*) Max Johnson who's the son of former NFL player Brad Johnson has entered the portal after throwing for 27 TDs for the tigers this year. Where many of our fans have their hopes up for some portal QBs from out west this kid calls home just up the road in Athens hopefully we give the kid a phone call in the next few days as we did offer him during his recruitment.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
so LSU starting qb (4*) Max Johnson who's the son of former NFL player Brad Johnson has entered the portal after throwing for 27 TDs for the tigers this year. Where many of our fans have their hopes up for some portal QBs from out west this kid calls home just up the road in Athens hopefully we give the kid a phone call in the next few days as we did offer him during his recruitment.
Hell, he’s probably better than what Georgia has right now.

27 Td with 6 Ints isnt all that bad with 60% completion...especially considering how much that team struggled plus he is only a Soph and was his first full year.

You gotta watch the games. He never really established himself as the guy at LSU. Too inconsistent, especially in their losses. The Bama and Arkansas games in particular. He got benched in the Arky game.

He is a perfect fit here we will take him
We have to take at least one guy in the portal or it’s a huge failure. Personally, I’d rather see a guy like Johnson with the potential than taking a guy from St Francis again.

we should contact every D-1 QB prospect and get the best one that wants to play at SC. Our QB’s were awful this season.

Why would Johnson go to Clemson when they already have a 5-star committed for this class? And why would Clemson want him....other than as a backup?
Depth mainly and competition. Klubnik is the #1 QB in this class but will still a true freshman. DJU is currently the only scholarship QB at Clemson now that Puma is leaving. Need another QB, especially with experience. DJU could also eventually transfer. Brad Johnson has close ties with some of Clemson's staff.

We have to take at least one guy in the portal or it’s a huge failure. Personally, I’d rather see a guy like Johnson with the potential than taking a guy from St Francis again.

we should contact every D-1 QB prospect and get the best one that wants to play at SC. Our QB’s were awful this season.
Heck, take all the QBs who want to play at USC. That's unfortunately a pretty limited number I would imagine.

Depth mainly and competition. Klubnik is the #1 QB in this class but will still a true freshman. DJU is currently the only scholarship QB at Clemson now that Puma is leaving. Need another QB, especially with experience. DJU could also eventually transfer. Brad Johnson has close ties with some of Clemson's staff.
This all makes sense from Clemson's perspective, but I don't think it makes much sense from the players perspective.

This all makes sense from Clemson's perspective, but I don't think it makes much sense from the players perspective.
Yes and no. I say its for depth but in reality he could come in and compete against a true freshman and DJ who obviously has really struggled. Its a wide open position battle in reality.

The Johnson boys to Clemson really makes little sense, why leave LSU as the starter to go compete at Clemson :)?. Clemson also has # 1 QB in nation coming in. Clemson already has a TE in Sapp as well committed.

Hunter Helms is still there right? Maybe he gets a scholarship as QB # 3.

The Johnson boys to Clemson really makes little sense, why leave LSU as the starter to go compete at Clemson :)?. Clemson also has # 1 QB in nation coming in. Clemson already has a TE in Sapp as well committed.

Hunter Helms is still there right? Maybe he gets a scholarship as QB # 3.
I don't think Max was still the starter. I know he was benched against Arky. He is not a world beater but he is very sound technically as you would expect. He is not very mobile however (like his Dad). It would be worth it to get the younger brother who will be a beast TE.

Hunter Helms is still there and will probably get a scholarship. Will Taylor is there as well but he played QB out of necessity this year before tearing his ACL. He is slot receiver moving forward. Clemson currently has 14 scholarships to give in addition to the recruits currently committed so there is plenty of room.

I don't think Max was still the starter. I know he was benched against Arky. He is not a world beater but he is very sound technically as you would expect.

He started the last 2 games, vs ULM and Texas A&M and a bunch of other games this year

With Johnson gone, LSU has only one scholarship quarterback remaining: former four-star prospect Garrett Nussmeier, a true freshman who has appeared in four games this season.

If they play Nussmeier in the Texas Bowl, he would lose the ability to redshirt this season, costing him a year of eligibility. I don't think they have choice now their starting QB is transferring.

Reactions: coldbud1994
I don't think Max was still the starter. I know he was benched against Arky. He is not a world beater but he is very sound technically as you would expect. He is not very mobile however (like his Dad). It would be worth it to get the younger brother who will be a beast TE.

Hunter Helms is still there and will probably get a scholarship. Will Taylor is there as well but he played QB out of necessity this year before tearing his ACL. He is slot receiver moving forward. Clemson currently has 14 scholarships to give in addition to the recruits currently committed so there is plenty of room.
R u a known Tater?

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
I'd take Stetson Bennett over Max Johnson. There's no point in any quarterback coming here unless he's prepared to run for his life.
Running for your life is underrated, it's an impotant part of success for us here. Just wait until next year, as we've been saying for many decades now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT