ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor’s Cup...

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I think it’s cool we have a Columbia, SC vs Columbia, MO trophy...but could we have come up with anything more boring that a Cup on a wooden base that looks like we paid $35 from the local trophy shop?

What are some better ideas? I always thought the B10 had some fun trophies, even if it seems like every B10 game is for one.

I think we should do something with the mascots. They are the tigers, we are the Gamecocks. How about a big ole Tiger Cock? Sure would get attention nationally. Can you imagine our guys running around the stadium Saturday hoisting the tiger cock in the air?

Ok, I’m not serious. But there has to be something better than the Mayor’s Cup. Heck a Christopher Columbus statue is better than a cup...

I think it’s cool we have a Columbia, SC vs Columbia, MO trophy...but could we have come up with anything more boring that a Cup on a wooden base that looks like we paid $35 from the local trophy shop?

What are some better ideas? I always thought the B10 had some fun trophies, even if it seems like every B10 game is for one.

I think we should do something with the mascots. They are the tigers, we are the Gamecocks. How about a big ole Tiger Cock? Sure would get attention nationally. Can you imagine our guys running around the stadium Saturday hoisting the tiger cock in the air?

Ok, I’m not serious. But there has to be something better than the Mayor’s Cup. Heck a Christopher Columbus statue is better than a cup...

It would have to be renamed the "indigenous people" statue.

I think it’s cool we have a Columbia, SC vs Columbia, MO trophy...but could we have come up with anything more boring that a Cup on a wooden base that look Is like we paid $35 from the local trophy shop?

Honestly there really isn't much of a reason for a "cup" in regards to our "ballgames". IMHO, Miss Ura outta be in the SEC West, and Auburn in the SEC EAST, with of course their games(AU) against BAMA, ugaLY & LSU still on their schedule every year. The SEC would certainly hafta go to 9 conference games per season, and then of course 3 outta conference.

I know, I know!! That's no doubt a major (99 to 1 odds against it) change, but if the concept of "balancing" it all out 'twas indeed THOROUGHLY pursued, then there ya go right there.

Also, by no means do I think AU in the east would be beneficial in regards to lessonning the difficulty of our (or any other member of the SEC-E) sched. I just think it would further balance the conference schedule(s) conference wide.

In closing, by all means let me state upfront that I've thought this through while cruising in a 15+/- minute traffic jam on I-77 northbound here in pretty much downtown Charlotte.

I think 9 conference games would be beneficial and fair to each conference member - from a "finetuning" perspective in particular.

I'm thru now. If anyone would like an autographed version of this book I've written here, why I'm certain that Mr. Dangerfield would be more than delighted to oblige!!

Last edited:
You want something better than a cup trophy to represent the Mayors' CUP TROPHY.

Do we still have the Hardee's cup? LOL
6621301189_085bdc5e42_b.jpg

Pretty cool. Never knew about this but this seems like how a trophy game should start. Something stupid and completely unreasonable! But a good story!
Another funny trophy/contrived rivalry story is the "Civil ConFLiCT" between Central Florida and Connecticut. (Get it, FL and CT???) The UConn coach tried to make this a rivalry because, you know, Florida and Connecticut really overlap and whatnot. UCF won the game, then left the trophy on the bench when they left RollLaugh

CvjGcSVXYAA2RNH.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Conflict

The World is Actually Flat Platter.

That's the way our country is trending. We could be on the leading edge.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn

Here's the bigger question to me anyway, does anyone really care about the Mayor's Cup? I mean I'm going to go around and brag to my friends, the Gamecocks won the Mayor's Cup this year. Number # 1 no one outside of USC and Missouri's fan base is even going to know what the Mayor's Cup represents. And # 2 I'm not sure how many people within those fan bases above even know themselves. Don't get me wrong, I certainly want to beat Missouri but to have a cup that represents the winner of the game-I don't know about that. If we were big rivals then yes but we aren't rivals with Missouri.

Here's the bigger question to me anyway, does anyone really care about the Mayor's Cup? I mean I'm going to go around and brag to my friends, the Gamecocks won the Mayor's Cup this year. Number # 1 no one outside of USC and Missouri's fan base is even going to know what the Mayor's Cup represents. And # 2 I'm not sure how many people within those fan bases above even know themselves. Don't get me wrong, I certainly want to beat Missouri but to have a cup that represents the winner of the game-I don't know about that. If we were big rivals then yes but we aren't rivals with Missouri.

No doubt this is a fair question. It’s really the same for a trophy games. Who cares outside of the two teams. So I believe if you are going to have it, at least make it fun and recognizable for the fans of the two schools. A stupid cup doesn’t get the job done. Create something fun that fans can almost sarcastically get behind like the Nebraska - Minnesota game. Before you know it, the thing will mean something in 15-20 years.

While I have no idea about the mayor of Columbia Missouri I can guarantee you that unless there's money in it for him you won't see Steve Benjamin hanging out at Williams-Brice.
I get what you're saying but he's an alum and generally supportive of USC sports so I don't think that's accurate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT