ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Miss.

Good road win!! Glad to see the rebound off lsu. For those of you who have watched the majority of the games, what's wrong with Meechie? This slump is lasting way too long. Its getting to the point where it will get in your head. Not enough elevation on the jumper? Change in the way teams defend him? Change in his playing style? Etc. Thanks.

Good road win!! Glad to see the rebound off lsu. For those of you who have watched the majority of the games, what's wrong with Meechie? This slump is lasting way too long. Its getting to the point where it will get in your head. Not enough elevation on the jumper? Change in the way teams defend him? Change in his playing style? Etc. Thanks.

He's definitely in a shooter's slump. The offense earlier in the season was more Meechie-centric as he quickly emerged as a scoring threat with a bunch of relatively unknowns learning how to play together. However, offensively we've evolved over time with much more balanced scoring and Meechie is a rhythm shooter.

Also, defensively teams adjusted once we started have consistent shooting % from beyond 3. Our big guys are capable of hitting from beyond the arch so you have them now being guarded more closely which is not allowing for that screen to get Meechie a clean look. He's got to bounce out of it though if we're going to do anything in the tournament. We can't have have him shooting under 20% from the floor during the tourney if he's going to be any significant part of the scoring offense.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
He's definitely in a shooter's slump. The offense earlier in the season was more Meechie-centric as he quickly emerged as a scoring threat with a bunch of relatively unknowns learning how to play together. However, offensively we've evolved over time with much more balanced scoring and Meechie is a rhythm shooter.

Also, defensively teams adjusted once we started have consistent shooting % from beyond 3. Our big guys are capable of hitting from beyond the arch so you have them now being guarded more closely which is not allowing for that screen to get Meechie a clean look. He's got to bounce out of it though if we're going to do anything in the tournament. We can't have have him shooting under 20% from the floor during the tourney if he's going to be any significant part of the scoring offense.
Thanks! That explains a good bit of it.

Huge win to stop the bleeding. Prevents the "they are collapsing" narrative from gaining traction. I'm sure there were a lot of doubters from before we were ranked that wanted to say "i told you so" if we lost another one.

Huge win to stop the bleeding. Prevents the "they are collapsing" narrative from gaining traction. I'm sure there were a lot of doubters from before we were ranked that wanted to say "i told you so" if we lost another one.
This part is particularly frustrating. From the inside I’m not sure why people want their team to fail but you are right the notable suspects would have been here to post about it.

Now from those on the outside stating that we are collapsing, I get that it’s not fact and it’s just perception but I really wish someone within the athletic department would call this bull.

Perception can affect seeding and I’ve seen these bracketologists slip us from a 7 to 10 seed for one bad week. We’ve won at Tennessee. Winning at Ole Miss isn’t easy. We beat the doors off Kentucky. If we were Duke or North Carolina you wouldn’t hear anything about slipping or being on the bubble. Duke just lost at Wake. Wake would struggle to win 6 games in the SEC.

This part is particularly frustrating. From the inside I’m not sure why people want their team to fail but you are right the notable suspects would have been here to post about it.

Now from those on the outside stating that we are collapsing, I get that it’s not fact and it’s just perception but I really wish someone within the athletic department would call this bull.

Perception can affect seeding and I’ve seen these bracketologists slip us from a 7 to 10 seed for one bad week. We’ve won at Tennessee. Winning at Ole Miss isn’t easy. We beat the doors off Kentucky. If we were Duke or North Carolina you wouldn’t hear anything about slipping or being on the bubble. Duke just lost at Wake. Wake would struggle to win 6 games in the SEC.
And yet Duke won't fall very far in the polls or seeding projection.... because they are Duke.

100%. "Fake News" extends to sports to some degree as well. The talking heads push the big name schools. It's more profitable immediate click-bait and corporate sponsors who pay their salaries prefer certain schools in the tournament.

We've got 4 games remaining plus conference tourney. It feels like we might need 2 wins total for confirmation and to overcome any noted biases. Unless there's a unique matchup issue, Florida looks like a good opportunity playing at home and then I think we'll find at least one more.

The selection committee has to get a certain number of SEC teams included -- including UK. We're currently a game ahead of them in the standings and obviously won the head-to-head so that's a two-win edge right now.

On the flipside, if we lost to Florida at home, we would most likely be in need of two wins from the remaining schedule as UF would move above us.

https://www.secsports.com/standings/mens-basketball

I mean I get it however, good or bad, reputations and history should have no bearing on the here and now.
There are a lot of things in life that I never thought fair. There's also not anything I can do about it but hope for the best. I think Paris is doing a good job so far and I think we'll be dancing this year. That makes me happy.

Reactions: bayrooster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT