ADVERTISEMENT

Memories of Bobby Fuller

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Fuller is the Gerald Ford of USC quarterbacks. He was the starting QB for two seasons and I have zero memories of him. I don't remember any outstanding performances nor any particularly horrible performances either.

Perhaps he suffers in comparison to quarterbacks like Ellis, Tanneyhill, and Garcia, who all lacked consistency but never lacked for personality.

eb07612f2cc130df073796a07f1c5fc05350b9ff.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/114600-the-top-five-south-carolina-gamecock-quarterbacks-of-all-time/page/3

I did not remember seeing him play. Records for his 2 years:
1990 6-5
1991 3-6-2

http://bobbyfullerinsurance.com/

I'd compare him to somebody other than a president who pardoned a criminal president. Because of the pardon, he lost the 76 election to Jimmy Carter who ran this country down a economic hole for 4 years until Reagan was elected in 80

This post was edited on 2/12 8:21 PM by bosoxcock

He was the QB when I was at USC. He could sling it around. What killed USC back then was no defense at all. We could score but couldn't stop anyone. Two WR's I remember on those teams were Eddie Miller and David Pitchko, who I think passed away a few years ago.

Unfortunately, Bobby F played for some bad USC teams. Especially, the defense. One thing I remember about him was he was incredibly accurate. He could thread a needle, and proved it many times. I remember one game (can't recall opponent) where he hit a WR for a TD in the back of the end zone, and he threw the ball between 3 defenders. Bobbys biggest draw back was his mobility. He made Todd Ellis look like Connor Shaw.

I'm not trying to throw red meat out to get people to bait people into a flam war. And let me say I never saw Dan Reeves or Tommy Suggs play.

But the best qb (from a passing standpoint) I have seen play here is Steve Taneyhill. I think Bobby Fuller was very close to him.

I'd still take Jeff Grantz over both of them, because I prefer qb's that can run. Grantz would have had a field day in modern spread offenses. Seriously he might have had Johnny Football type success.

And while I really liked Connor, both Taneyhill and Fuller were better passers. As mobile as he was he was no Jeff Grantz. I might add that if you want to pull passing stats, Grantz played in a much, much tougher era to be a passer (and runner).

Anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. But I remember as recently as August before his senior year there was a lot of talk about about how Dylan should be the starter over him on message boards, due to all the missed opportunities we had in the passing game his junior and sophomore years.

He wasn't really canonized till his senior year.

I would really like to have seen Bobby Fuller play with the talent around him Todd Ellis had at times, or Connor Shaw had. He might well have been our GOAT if he had had it.

A shame no one remembers him now. There is a feeling you get when you watch a qb, you just know he isn't going to make dumb throws, and he is capable of making big plays. No matter how it played out, I was always kind of expecting a big interception with a Spurrier offense, even in Connor's one or two interception senior season.

He also played one game as quarterback for the Michigan Wolverines, & led them to victory over the Eastern State Timberwolves....a game played in Williams-Brice Stadium.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:
I'd compare him to somebody other than a president who pardoned a criminal president. Because of the pardon, he lost the 76 election to Jimmy Carter who ran this country down a economic hole for 4 years until Reagan was elected in 80

The "economic hole" was created by inflation. That great inflation of the 1970s was largely the product of high energy prices that started during the Nixon years (sure Reza Pahlavi, cut that production, just buy US military hardware) and ended with Volker's policies in the Fed (appointed by Carter) and the massive Saudi increase in oil production during the early Reagan years.

So, no.

Wow, are no sitting Presidents ever accountable any more? It's always the previous administrations fault. I believe that we should just say all our economic woes are due to native American chieftain "Sitting Fed Reserve" who failed to develop a banking system before we ever arrived in North America. There we go . It's over . Not Bush's fault either...

Originally posted by aj&uscgrad:
Didn't he have a great 4th quarter in a comeback against V Tech?
todd had a great comeback up there. we blocked a punt. todd got a concussion i think, but came back in. fuller could have as well. my memory fades.
bobby fuller was a good quarterback though.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

I just meant to compare him to a forgettable president (and pay a hommage to John Updike's "Memoirs of the Ford Administration"). Maybe I should have went with a more distant, unremarkable president, like Millard Fillmore.

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:
He also played one game as quarterback for the Michigan Wolverines, & led them to victory over the Eastern State Timberwolves....a game played in Williams-Brice Stadium.
ESU was playing without Heisman candidate Joe Cane.

I'll
Originally posted by cock1971:
Wow, are no sitting Presidents ever accountable any more? It's always the previous administrations fault. I believe that we should just say all our economic woes are due to native American chieftain "Sitting Fed Reserve" who failed to develop a banking system before we ever arrived in North America. There we go . It's over . Not Bush's fault either...
well, we were losing 800k jobs a month in 2008 and the overall economic picture looked worse than 1929, but now we see the stock market at an all time high, the economy adding 200k jobs a month and gas prices under $2.00 gallon. I'm guessing you're giving the current occupant credit? Yeah, didn't think so.

Originally posted by Bongsummers:
I'll
Originally posted by cock1971:
well, we were losing 800k jobs a month in 2008 and the overall economic picture looked worse than 1929, but now we see the stock market at an all time high, the economy adding 200k jobs a month and gas prices under $2.00 gallon. I'm guessing you're giving the current occupant credit? Yeah, didn't think so.
I guess you have a reflexive disdain for people that bash Obama.

But it might amuse you to know that there are people who have been around longer than you probably have, that are far more evolved in the ways of cynicism.

First of all, the economy isn't adding 200,000 jobs a month. That kind of ship sailed a while ago, and has really only been seen in various bubble eras (the last big nice one one was the stock bubble of the 90's, followed by the retarded in comparison housing bubble of the early 00's).

Whatever movement you see on the job front is mainly in the form of temp and part time jobs. And the stats liars have to work overtime if they want to list a figure like 200,000. Columbia isn't the whole of the US, but it is better off than some areas. And trust me there isn't some spastic frenzy of hiring going on.

As for the gas prices? Well we don't have appreciably more supply than we had circa 2008 or so. I really didn't think we were going to ever extract more than 85 million barrels a day (worldwide). I was wrong. I quit following it a few year ago, but wouldn't surprise me if we were at 90 million barrels a day or close to it.

(I might add that fracking only really adds to natural gas supplies, is pretty much a phenomena of North America for a number of reason, with a negligible amount of natural gas condensates going into the liquid oil supply. I'd also like to add that while the increase in barrels per day is astonishing to me, I'm also pretty confident we'll never see the 110 or 125 million barrels a day various agencies predict. Though of course, I have been wrong, but we will see).

But gas prices are a lot lower. Supply isn't that much higher than it was 7 years ago, and demand is up worldwide, particularly in China. Hmmmm. Seen this one before. Someone with some pull wants to yank someone's chain.

Odds are it's Putin, though I never really got why anyone is that excited about him, but whatever.

In short my worldview says Obama is along for the ride as much as anyone else is. Much as anyone hates his guts, or thinks he walks on water with rainbows shooting out of his crotch.

If he were ever a tranformative figure, he would never have been allowed to become president. Or more precisely he would never have gotten the money and favorable media coverage he needed to do so.

So one day soon, oil supplier like the Saudi's are going to get tired of profits being down, or people throw in the towel because there isn't any noticeable effect on Putin's position. Maybe if they could stick it out for five years it would apply some real pressure, but these kinds of things are hard to hold together. Daddy's got to get some new Filipino maids to harass in the mansion in Riyadh you know.

Anyway, Obama takes orders from Wall Street and the Insurance companies, along with other parties (and that means order takers and givers, whatever), just like every other president since... oh Bush I maybe. Depends on how you want to see things.

Oh yeah, I hope it is obvious, but when oil (read gas prices) go back up, this temporary spike in employment, anemic as it may be is going back down.

As for the stock market?

Heh, heh, trust me you don't want to hear me talk about that one. Stock valuations have as much to do with reality (if you are a fundamentals type investor) as an LSD acid trip.

Unless you truly believe there is an endless line of bigger fools out there. It's a little more complicated than this, but I'd get real wordy on it.

Geesh....thought this was a damn gamecock message board. Take that political crap somewhere else.

That being said all i remember about fuller was the ECU game where we got beat in a torrential downpour

Originally posted by carolinascooter:
Geesh....thought this was a damn gamecock message board. Take that political crap somewhere else.

That being said all i remember about fuller was the ECU game where we got beat in a torrential downpour
Why don't you look on this thread, find the person who started it, and berate him?

Originally posted by Gamecock1993:

He was the QB when I was at USC. He could sling it around. What killed USC back then was no defense at all. We could score but couldn't stop anyone. Two WR's I remember on those teams were Eddie Miller and David Pitchko, who I think passed away a few years ago.
How is possible our defense was bad back then? Wasn't Brad Lawing our defensive line coach?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Love Tanneyhill but when he threw balls while playing for Sparky I went looking for a duck call and a shotgun.

Bobby came over from App. St. with Sparky and had to sit out for a year. He was better than just adequate but suffered from Sparky's miserable teams. Va. Tech comeback was memorable.

yeah- his ball was an inflight mess. Hit alot of targets though.
Originally posted by JRS9572:
Love Tanneyhill but when he threw balls while playing for Sparky I went looking for a duck call and a shotgun.

This discussion has morphed into a bunch of stuff. I remember Fuller and he was a solid QB for us but didn't have much help on offense or defense.

As for the discussion about our best QB's, Shaw and Grantz are right there. I saw Taneyhill and Ellis play every snap and their consistency left a lot to be desired. Some say that if Tommy Suggs had been 3 inches taller, he would have had a very long career in the NFL. Watching Tommy play firsthand, he was a great passer and leader. Grantz was the best running QB ever and had Sunshine Ronnie Bass stayed healthy, he would be in this discussion. A friend of mine who played with Bass said that prior to his injury, he was the best college QB he ever saw.

The downpour against ECU was in '96. Mike hold was the qb in the movie scenes filmed at Williams-Brice

There is no question that Bobby Fuller is by far the best singing QB in Gamecock football history.
wink.r191677.gif

I found some highlights of App State against Marshall in 1988. Fuller was the quarterback in that game. I assume, then, he must have been the quarterback for App State when they played here in Columbia in 88. I have to believe he's the only Gamecock quarterback to ever face us as the quarterback of another team.

App St vs Marshall 1988

Anthony Wright was the best so far. He played under terrible high school level coaches. Probably the only QB since Shaw from SC to keep a pro job.

Originally posted by LShull4sc:
Mike hold was the qb in the movie scenes filmed at Williams-Brice
Wrong. Bobby Fuller was the Michigan QB.

See?
This post was edited on 2/17 9:06 AM by Rod Dangerfield

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT