ADVERTISEMENT

Mens basketball 🙏

Will we ever be a power again in mens basketball? Its so frustrating
Season isn’t over by any stretch, but hard to expect us to be something we haven’t been in 40+ years. I’d be happy with just being more competitive. Pearl cheats and he’s a great coach, so not a good matchup

Auburn is going to have a deep run in March. They are very good and have a ton of weapons. LSU is a good team and they just got beat by 15 also. We tied them 37-37 in the second half. So we got some players. But that 1st half killed us. Think Frank waited a little too long to run the zone.

Season isn’t over by any stretch, but hard to expect us to be something we haven’t been in 40+ years. I’d be happy with just being more competitive. Pearl cheats and he’s a great coach, so not a good matchup
Agreed. He is a cheater and now you can cheat at will with the NIL. We are missing a good PF on this team. Nowadays most PF are good at either shooting a three or can go to the basket and score. None are on this roster. Also Wildens is the only inside presence we have. The rest of our centers are D2 players at best.

Auburn is going to have a deep run in March. They are very good and have a ton of weapons. LSU is a good team and they just got beat by 15 also. We tied them 37-37 in the second half. So we got some players. But that 1st half killed us. Think Frank waited a little too long to run the zone.
Yep. Frank waited too late to go zone. It got us back in the game but he waited too late to bust it out. The problem is if we play them again they’ll be ready for it next time. I wish we would have went to it sooner.

Auburn is a really good team. I think they have Elite 8 or Final 4 potential. Bryant got injured and that was a tough break as well.

On to the next one…..

Reactions: cockn'fyr
@Vandy (house of horrors, just beat @Arky)
@Utjr
UF (you never know with them)
@Arky

Distinct possibility of an 0-5 start in SEC. That'll bring some heat.

Reactions: cockofdawn
@Vandy (house of horrors, just beat @Arky)
@Utjr
UF (you never know with them)
@Arky

Distinct possibility of an 0-5 start in SEC. That'll bring some heat.
I think we beat Vandy and Florida. Maybe Arkansas. We tend to play bad in Knoxville. We’re likely 2-3 through the first 5.

Again? That would imply that at some point the team was a power in mens basketball. With the exception of a 7 year run in the late 60s/early 70s the team has been pretty much at the same spot throughout program history.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
In another thread, Massey ratings only has us beating UGA and Mizzou for a possible 3 wins in the SEC this year. FWIW

Nothing will change until RT realizes that mediocrity is NOT success.
Ummmm, FMs buyout became a discussion point between Caslen and the SC Legislature on funding of the medical school. He more than likely would have been gone if Caslen could simply and intelligently answer and address their questions and complaints.

When exactly were we ever a "power" in MBB?
1970 Preseason number 1. (Date could be off) (BTW, I graduated in 1972)
IMHO, the final four run was considered a fluke (not a power), just like other schools that made the final four like George Mason University.

1970 Preseason number 1. (Date could be off) (BTW, I graduated in 1972)
IMHO, the final four run was considered a fluke (not a power), just like other schools that made the final four like George Mason University.
But even then, were we really a "power" or just had a few good years strung together under Coach McGuire, only to still fall behind others in the ACC?
To me...the powers are the long standing MBB programs that people automatically think about. We all know who.

But even then, were we really a "power" or just had a few good years strung together under Coach McGuire, only to still fall behind others in the ACC?
To me...the powers are the long standing MBB programs that people automatically think about. We all know who.
For those that know (or care to know) leaving the ACC led to an almost immediate decline of our mens basketball program that with the exception of a few moments has remained there. Even McGuire himself had a huge drop off after the first two years we left.

Yep. Frank waited too late to go zone. It got us back in the game but he waited too late to bust it out. The problem is if we play them again they’ll be ready for it next time. I wish we would have went to it sooner.

Auburn is a really good team. I think they have Elite 8 or Final 4 potential. Bryant got injured and that was a tough break as well.

On to the next one…..
I disagree with that a little bit. Auburn's guards are really small, and with the exception of Green, are not the best ball handlers. The Jasper kid really struggled with our ball pressure and that allowed us to get back in the game. Flanagan coming back may help them in the ball handling area, but who knows how he is going to come back from last year's injury. Auburn's bigs are outstanding. Kessler and Smith are NBA players, but their guards are going to have handle and get them the ball. I think they may win a game in the tournament, even get to the Sweet 16, but none of their guards are even Shariffe Cooper good.

On to the next one…..
Doesn't look like Couisnard is healthy either. Didn't get the start. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all. They didn't have their best player and they looked really good. They just beat the brakes of LSU too

Doesn't look like Couisnard is healthy either. Didn't get the start. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all. They didn't have their best player and they looked really good. They just beat the brakes of LSU too
Couisnard definitely has not been healthy for quite a while. The kid is in a bad spot. The only true fix is to rest, but there’s no such thing as that this time of year. He’s trying to gut it out but he likely won’t be 100 percent all year and the likelihood for injuring it worse is high.

I disagree with that a little bit. Auburn's guards are really small, and with the exception of Green, are not the best ball handlers. The Jasper kid really struggled with our ball pressure and that allowed us to get back in the game. Flanagan coming back may help them in the ball handling area, but who knows how he is going to come back from last year's injury. Auburn's bigs are outstanding. Kessler and Smith are NBA players, but their guards are going to have handle and get them the ball. I think they may win a game in the tournament, even get to the Sweet 16, but none of their guards are even Shariffe Cooper good.
Never mind a little disagreement. I remember watching Kesslers dad and uncle play back in the day at Georgia. He’s definitely got NBA genetics. Smith is likely headed to the league too. You’re right they’re pretty good down low. Outside of Leveque, we are not very good down there but I thought he held his own.

Auburn has good guards, but the problem was bigger for us when Couisnard isn’t 100 percent and Bryant is shooting the breeze on the sideline with a shoulder injury. Even Martin said we only had one guard that put up a fight defensively.

We have some talent….Frank‘s incessant yelling is demoralizing these days. His substitution patterns are mind boggling. Think about last night (and this is not bashing the young men), but we cut it to around 10 with time left and he brings in his son and Minnot. Zero offense there….lead went back to 17 quickly. AU has big guys and we needed to be big…..what happened to playing Leveque and Gray at the same time like early in year? Wouldn’t hurt to try and put them in a zone.

We need to play Couisnard, Stevenson, and Reese…..their subs should be Jacobi, Chico, and Devin.
Down low…..Wilson, Leveque, Gray and Bryant. That’s 10 deep.

Everyone else are role players at this point. Not saying they can’t develop and be good one day, but they need to keep working.

Couisnard definitely has not been healthy for quite a while. The kid is in a bad spot. The only true fix is to rest, but there’s no such thing as that this time of year. He’s trying to gut it out but he likely won’t be 100 percent all year and the likelihood for injuring it worse is high.
Oh I know that. All that talk about him needing to be "one with his body" an then we throw him into the Clemson game out of need. There was no way we were going to win that game. Should've held him out for that one too

Oh I know that. All that talk about him needing to be "one with his body" an then we throw him into the Clemson game out of need. There was no way we were going to win that game. Should've held him out for that one too
I wonder how much of it is Couisnard trying to gut it out and how much of it is Martin putting the squeeze on him to play in what he knows is a dance or walk year.

It’s probably a combination of the two. My guess is he won’t be 100 percent at any part of this season.

Yeah Martin got very philosophical with the “be one with his body” quote.

I wonder how much of it is Couisnard trying to gut it out and how much of it is Martin putting the squeeze on him to play in what he knows is a dance or walk year.

It’s probably a combination of the two. My guess is he won’t be 100 percent at any part of this season.

Yeah Martin got very philosophical with the “be one with his body” quote.
I can't say. I know it seems like this team is a lot better than the ones we've had recently. You can expect to win when you turn it over like we did vs Auburn. I really can't wrap my head around the FT either. I don't know any team that misses free throws like we do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT