ADVERTISEMENT

Metal detecting

Jan 10, 2019
FloTown
Bought a fairly nice metal detector about a year ago but have had trouble finding places to go. Live in Florence but would be willing to travel if any fellow Gamecock fans might be interested in finding out what might be on their land. Ideal places are fields or areas with old, crumbling abandoned homes or historically significant areas.
Also, if anyone else happens to be into the hobby, would love to meet up and see what we might be able to find and see what I might could learn from you, as I am pretty new to the hobby.

Reactions: Horsewoman
Around old barns is a place to check.

My dad swears he buried some money (like change and a few dollar bills in some mason jars) around my grandpa's barn when he was a kid. We bought a cheap metal detector and tried looking but we didn't know how to use it too well and gave up after a short time.

But if you have a nice one, that would be fun to try if you have any neighbors with old barns and such.

I own 30 acres in Bamberg county that basically is an old farm house and area. The woods are somewhat thick, but you're able to walk around. It's just an old farm from the 40's or so would be my guess. There's so much old junk metal around, that I don't know if it would be worth it. I have access to several plantations in the lowcountry, but most of them have always told people "no" to metal detectors. No clue why, but that's rich people for ya.

I thought about old high school football stadiums where people may have dropped coins 75-80 years ago and if you find any coins they will probably be silver.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAV31
Just make sure wherever you go the guy wasn’t a welder. Fellow up here took his detector to a farm that was owned by a guy in years past that was a welder. He’d bring home stuff from the shop where he worked and stack it around the barn lot. This was in the 1960s. The metal detector went off every few steps. He’d dig a little and find channel iron, gage metal, tin, cast iron pieces, nuts and bolts, etc. Found nothing of value.

Head to the beach at low tie. Best to go during winter months. Not as many people asking you what you found there.

Reactions: TAV31
I would try metal detecting in a graveyard. you'd be surprised at the number of people who request to be buried with their family heirlooms and jewelry. I've found many priceless jewels. Digging 6 feet is a bit rough, but I've gotten very fit from doing it.
Grave robbing?

Ball fields. The field and warmup areas.
Not difficult to lose a ring taking a softball mitt off. Under bleachers for obvious reasons while you're at it.

I read somewhere that rivers were a good place. Especially at curves or turns where things may have washed down . They noted to look for areas that may have been curves as rivers tend to change over time. I. Always thought was good insight. Especially with old trade routes , etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT