ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's Harbaugh: "Don't eat the chicken, because it is a nervous bird"

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Don't eat the chicken:

Michigan's ever-eccentric Jim Harbaugh doesn’t think his players should be eating chicken, but not for any reason you’ve ever heard before.

...as told by former Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight.

"Early in his Michigan tenure, Harbaugh pulled Speight aside and told him not to eat chicken, a protein that is considered fairly safe by nutritionists," Hayes wrote. "When Speight asked why, Harbaugh said, 'because it's a nervous bird.'"

"He thinks some type of sickness injected its way into the human population when people began eating white meats instead of beef and pork," Speight, now at UCLA, told Bleacher Report. "And he believes it, 100 percent."

https://www.si.com/college-football...inow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Wade Boggs respectfully disagrees

Boggs-chickens.jpg

Harbaugh is still reeling from that New Years bowl game. He may want to figure that one out. Brady Hoke couldn't solve us, and he didn't have any luck of his own. If you don't eat the chicken, the chicken just may eat you.

Reactions: 67gamecock
To his defense the chickens have gotten much bigger then 10 years ago...I mean the chicken breasts are huge...pump with steroids...makes me nervous. <g>

I believe this is the reason for cage-free eggs as well. I’d say many people agree with Harbaugh on this one. I imagine Speight’s recollection was much more simple than the conversation with Harbaugh, or that Harbaugh made it simple. I personally don’t care and eat whatever I want. But the only thing odd about this is the exact words used, not the issue itself. We all know someone who eats organic chicken or cage-free eggs ... and they probably don’t realize this has a lot to do with it.

Don't eat the chicken:

Michigan's ever-eccentric Jim Harbaugh doesn’t think his players should be eating chicken, but not for any reason you’ve ever heard before.

...as told by former Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight.

"Early in his Michigan tenure, Harbaugh pulled Speight aside and told him not to eat chicken, a protein that is considered fairly safe by nutritionists," Hayes wrote. "When Speight asked why, Harbaugh said, 'because it's a nervous bird.'"

"He thinks some type of sickness injected its way into the human population when people began eating white meats instead of beef and pork," Speight, now at UCLA, told Bleacher Report. "And he believes it, 100 percent."

https://www.si.com/college-football...inow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I believe this is the reason for cage-free eggs as well. I’d say many people agree with Harbaugh on this one. I imagine Speight’s recollection was much more simple than the conversation with Harbaugh, or that Harbaugh made it simple. I personally don’t care and eat whatever I want. But the only thing odd about this is the exact words used, not the issue itself. We all know someone who eats organic chicken or cage-free eggs ... and they probably don’t realize this has a lot to do with it.
Cage free doesn’t mean anything they can still be packed into a chicken house. Look for free range when buying eggs or get them from a local farm stand

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Most animals, including chickens, are nervous in Pickens County.

To his defense the chickens have gotten much bigger then 10 years ago...I mean the chicken breasts are huge...pump with steroids...makes me nervous. <g>
All you have to do is look at a "normal" chicken breast let's say from Springer Farms and compare it to either the store brand or big poultry names.
It should make one nervous

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT