ADVERTISEMENT

Morant of Murray State

This kid is amazing. From Dalzell, SC. So, the two best basketball players in the country are from South Carolina. Understand Zion going to Duke, but cannot for the life of me figure out how we missed on Morant.
Read Sport's Illustrated and he'll explain it to you. He went there first on his first visit and liked it so much he cut it off even when more biggies than just us came in late with offers. The Murray State assistant coach discovered him when the recruiter came to look at another player at an AAU event.

GandB you are so right - have thought about that many times. We got screwed in so many ways by the Tobacco Road teams back when McGuire was here. That`s why so many of us old folks hate(yes and I mean it) Duke and UNC. Clemson said they would drop out of the ACC with us and didn`t(another reason to hate them). And, of course, the ACC eased admission requirements after we dropped out - another reason for the hate toward them. Unless you were old enough to know all that, it`s almost impossible to have younger people understand, because we know what we had and what could have been. Some was just bad luck(Roche injury), bad timing(for getting out of ACC), also if one and done was in-play then we would have gotten O`Neal and Garnett. Then they changed it so you couldn`t go straight to the pros. However, I was thrilled to join the SEC and Frank has shown we can do it in basketball, if only we have enough talent here. Someone is filling these instate kids with a bunch of crap, I know that much. Thank goodness we get some of them, but it should be more.

GandB you are so right - have thought about that many times. We got screwed in so many ways by the Tobacco Road teams back when McGuire was here. That`s why so many of us old folks hate(yes and I mean it) Duke and UNC. Clemson said they would drop out of the ACC with us and didn`t(another reason to hate them). And, of course, the ACC eased admission requirements after we dropped out - another reason for the hate toward them. Unless you were old enough to know all that, it`s almost impossible to have younger people understand, because we know what we had and what could have been. Some was just bad luck(Roche injury), bad timing(for getting out of ACC), also if one and done was in-play then we would have gotten O`Neal and Garnett. Then they changed it so you couldn`t go straight to the pros. However, I was thrilled to join the SEC and Frank has shown we can do it in basketball, if only we have enough talent here. Someone is filling these instate kids with a bunch of crap, I know that much. Thank goodness we get some of them, but it should be more.
Yep 1 trip to the dance in 7 years sure would make me beat the door down to play at SC smh

We will never be anymore than we are today when we can't recruit players like Ja. It's just sad!

Hurts me to post this: If I remember two students seeking admission to Clemson sued the ACC and they got a favorable ruling and the 800 SAT requirement went down the toilet. Wish we had done it that way.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hurts me to post this: If I remember two students seeking admission to Clemson sued the ACC and they got a favorable ruling and the 800 SAT requirement went down the toilet. Wish we had done it that way.
Exactly. We screwed ourselves royally by taking the route we took. Besides, the NCAA was about to impose national test score standards anyway.

True....and IIRC the rumor at the time was that Clemson had advanced notice of the decision or the way it was going to be decided and didn't tell us....so we left. That over the years has evidently morphed into the story that they "backed out" of the agreement with us to leave.

Not sure how much truth there was in the advanced knowledge that they were rumored to have, but one thing was sure...they weren't leaving until the case was decided.

True....and IIRC the rumor at the time was that Clemson had advanced notice of the decision or the way it was going to be decided and didn't tell us....so we left. That over the years has evidently morphed into the story that they "backed out" of the agreement with us to leave.

Not sure how much truth there was in the advanced knowledge that they were rumored to have, but one thing was sure...they weren't leaving until the case was decided.
Staying paid huge dividends for UPC. That much is inarguable.

Sounds similar to an alternate reality around 1996 or 97, if we would've had Jermaine O'neal and Kevin Garnett to go along with the 3 guards.

In the alternate reality '89 - '92, we would have had:

Joe Rhett
Barry Manning
Mike Glover
Jo Jo English
Stanley Roberts (LSU)
Everett Sullivan (Louisville)
Rod Sellers (UConn)

I am no defender of Franks, but he did offer him just a month after Murray State did. By all accounts, we were ready to make him a Gamecock, but he visited Murray State before us and committed on the spot. Murray State simply got lucky here.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I am no defender of Franks, but he did offer him just a month after Murray State did. By all accounts, we were ready to make him a Gamecock, but he visited Murray State before us and committed on the spot. Murray State simply got lucky here.
They went to the AAU event and saw him. Kid grew up about an hour from Columbia. No excuse for offering him that late in the process.

They went to the AAU event and saw him. Kid grew up about an hour from Columbia. No excuse for offering him that late in the process.

Point is, EVERYONE missed on him. If anyone had any clue he'd turn out to be as good as he is, he'd have had offers from every blue blood program in the nation. He's simply blossomed into far better of a player in college than he ever was in high school. That's why he's such big story. Nobody picked up on him. I think Frank's a terrible recruiter, but I don't hold this one against him.

Exactly. We screwed ourselves royally by taking the route we took. Besides, the NCAA was about to impose national test score standards anyway.
It must be something about the state of SC. We were the first to leave the Union and we were the first to leave the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT