ADVERTISEMENT

mount pleasant: completely random ot question

be cocky

Jan 29, 2019
Mount Pleasant
i’m in snee farm. every now and then, i hear a fog horn or a ship horn coming from long point road direction. i have no idea what it is or where it’s coming from. i don’t think i’d be able to hear the ships from the wando terminal would i? that’s four miles away. when downtown you can barely hear the cruise ships disembarkation horn blast from only 1 mile away. and at such a low frequency of occurrence, i still find it hard to conclude it’s the terminal, otherwise you’d think you’d hear it all day everyday. anyone got any ideas?

I live in the Old Village and love hearing the fog horns coming out of the harbor. I don't think it would be too far fetched to hear them in Snee Farm. I would think a single blast would be coming from the Port.

Have a very similar type of sound issue but from a different source. Every morning at 7 am, Revelry plays and at 10 pm Taps plays on the USAF base. I live about 3.5 miles from the sound source on the Air Base and when the wind is blowing from that direction and the leaves are off the trees, it is nice to hear those songs. I used to be able to work and not hear those sounds but since I am not able to work and I am at home, often with the windows up to let a cool breeze in, I hear it. Kind of patriotic....so yes, sound travels very well and far especially if the wind is in support of it.

i’m in snee farm. every now and then, i hear a fog horn or a ship horn coming from long point road direction. i have no idea what it is or where it’s coming from. i don’t think i’d be able to hear the ships from the wando terminal would i? that’s four miles away. when downtown you can barely hear the cruise ships disembarkation horn blast from only 1 mile away. and at such a low frequency of occurrence, i still find it hard to conclude it’s the terminal, otherwise you’d think you’d hear it all day everyday. anyone got any ideas?

i live in Longpoint. I hear them too sometimes. Heard them yesterday evening. Pretty sure it’s the Wando Welch terminal

The food lady at the Lucy Beckham project will ride around the job site and blow the fog horn to let workers know she's out there w food/drinks. She's been doing it since roughly August 2018 when they started the building portion. That's exactly where you say the sound is coming from. It should stop by August.

Have a very similar type of sound issue but from a different source. Every morning at 7 am, Revelry plays and at 10 pm Taps plays on the USAF base. I live about 3.5 miles from the sound source on the Air Base and when the wind is blowing from that direction and the leaves are off the trees, it is nice to hear those songs. I used to be able to work and not hear those sounds but since I am not able to work and I am at home, often with the windows up to let a cool breeze in, I hear it. Kind of patriotic....so yes, sound travels very well and far especially if the wind is in support of it.
I live behind Hanahan High School and we also hear Taps at 10. My wife will cut the volume down on the TV. Nice to hear.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT