ADVERTISEMENT

MSN Article and Mike Davis

Originally posted by Axelrod:

Is there an issue with our players and NFL scouts?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-scouting-combine-players-with-character-concerns/ar-BBhEefg
Well there was the whole "Clowney isn't productive because he is lazy" thing. They seemed to latch onto that pretty good, including during this past NFL season. Of course, no one takes into account that he had played through a lot of nagging injuries and a serious knee injury during his rookie year. BUT, facts be damned. Let's slam him and his school.

Go talk to Swearinger, Shaw, Jeffery, Ellington or Gilmore and see if they are not movtivated. That article is bs

They are talking about one player, not a whole team. Not sure how those dots were connected.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by johnnyplaid:
They are talking about one player, not a whole team. Not sure how those dots were connected.

For many players coming out of the South Carolina program, NFL teams have an inherent concern over the athletes are truly motivated.

That quote is just ridiculous. NFL draft has a ton of guys who aren't "motivated." Like another poster stated, guys like Ingram, Swearinger, Lattimore, Ellington, Gilmore, Sanders, Allen, and Holloman were highly motivated professionals. Only Lattimore didn't make it, and that was due to his injuries.

Just a BS statement.

There were concerns on Jeffery's work ethic when he came out his junior year after he ballooned to 230 lbs. Then when he prepared for the combine he was down to 215 lbs. I would say the NFL scouts have legitimate concerns.

Originally posted by dcdayday:

There were concerns on Jeffery's work ethic when he came out his junior year after he ballooned to 230 lbs. Then when he prepared for the combine he was down to 215 lbs. I would say the NFL scouts have legitimate concerns.
FWIW, most players drop significant pounds for the combine in order to achieve better numbers.

But yes, Alshon was overweight his last year, though it didn't affect his performance. Switching to a more run-based attack hurt Alshon's numbers, along with Stephen Garcia's abysmal 5 games to start the year.

All serious draft prospects get in better shape for the draft.

They make documentaries about some of them (Tim Tebow for one comes to mind) and most all of them report being in the best shape of their lives right before the combine.

That's standard practice these days.

Originally posted by dcdayday:

Originally posted by Axelrod:

Is this a slap at our coaching staff? I read it as our whole program is lazy.
It is spillover from the Clowney BS... But.. PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Unfortunately, highly dedicated workhorses like Connor Shaw, Dswag, Gilmore... Don't get our team the attention the deserve for being hard workers. Our flash in the pan once in a lifetime superstar talent was Clowney who was a laid back dude that got a rep as being lazy and people view him as the face of our program instead of a kid lime Lattimore. I wish one of these idiots who try to connect this as though it is a program wide issue would take a look at Latti or Shaw and tell me if our program has a problem with producing lazy players.

i see this a legitimate knock on Davis. Unfortunately... He ran hard like a truck first part of his Sophomore season, but this past season he was over weight, out of shape and calling for a water break after damn near every run. He should have realized how that looked. If it was injuries that kept him from Being 100% or that kept him from being in the best shape possible, he should have stayed another year to show what he was made of... As is, he went pro with too many questions around him and will need a great combine to even get a mid- round sniff. Hope it works out for him. I feel confident he will be drafted, but not before round 4-5 unless he RIPS it at the combine and blows people away in his interviews. The MSN guy missed on the article though.., it isn't because scouts think USC produces lazy athletes... It is just because he looked lazy and like he had a bad attitude at times this past season.

Well, Spurrier has openly ripped players like Jeffery, Clowney and Davis. Of course NFL writers are going to latch on to that theme and turn it into perception.

Also, every player is so scrutinized this time of year. They're going to find something on everybody, and Davis is an easy target for the reasons mentioned above.

Originally posted by GarnetBlood80:
Maybe Davis won't try tapping out of the combine.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by zincgck11:
Well, Spurrier has openly ripped players like Jeffery, Clowney and Davis. Of course NFL writers are going to latch on to that theme and turn it into perception.

Also, every player is so scrutinized this time of year. They're going to find something on everybody, and Davis is an easy target for the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, but the problem is that they made a generalized statement about the entire team.

Because the past few years we have not practiced hard or hit each other at practice. They have all followed SOS' lead. Hopefully Spurrier is rejuvenated and Hoke lights some fire for our players.

they did insinuate that it was a south Carolina problem,but as far as davis is concerned,i
questioned his heart a few times this year as did others on here....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT