ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp back on the field

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

So you are saying he is an excellent analysis but his team is going to Lose

ba doom tish (2)!!!!!

Guess that analysis gig wasnt working out like they had hoped.

Not every assistant coach can handle the head coaching job. Muschamp was a good defensive coordinator. Head coaching duties are beyond his capabilities. He failed miserably twice.
Exactly my opinion. He's good when he's laser focused on one thing. Being the head guy (whether that's a coach, CEO, etc.) you can't be laser focused, you have to hire people that are and leave them alone. He just couldn't do it for one reason or another, he had to be involved in everything, which meant mediocre at everything. Also, the man liked to hire his buddies, people that thought like him. A differing opinion is healthy. Even if you get the final say, you still want people that are going to challenge your thought process. He always tried to come across as the smartest guy in the room (and also a smartass). That's all fine and good if you're producing/winning, but it gets old real quick when you're not winning and still think you're a genius.

His special teams weren’t all that impressive when he was here.

His special teams weren’t all that impressive when he was here.
I've never understood this mentality. Ad the head coach he didn't focus on any one area. His defenses weren't spectacular either, but he was working on the whole team, not one group or another. You can't really judge a head coach by how a specific position or group performed.

Exactly my opinion. He's good when he's laser focused on one thing. Being the head guy (whether that's a coach, CEO, etc.) you can't be laser focused, you have to hire people that are and leave them alone. He just couldn't do it for one reason or another, he had to be involved in everything, which meant mediocre at everything. Also, the man liked to hire his buddies, people that thought like him. A differing opinion is healthy. Even if you get the final say, you still want people that are going to challenge your thought process. He always tried to come across as the smartest guy in the room (and also a smartass). That's all fine and good if you're producing/winning, but it gets old real quick when you're not winning and still think you're a genius.
Agree. Believe he is one of those who simply can't see the forest for the trees.

I've never understood this mentality. Ad the head coach he didn't focus on any one area. His defenses weren't spectacular either, but he was working on the whole team, not one group or another. You can't really judge a head coach by how a specific position or group performed.
Under Muschamp offense, defense nor special teams were good. They were all equally bad under his leadership.

Under Muschamp offense, defense nor special teams were good. They were all equally bad under his leadership.
... I get that. Did you read my post? He may be a good defensive coach or a good special teams coach. How those units faired under him as a head coach is not an accurate barometer of his ability to coach those players.

He may be a terrible ST coach. Who knows? I was only saying that because of lack of focus on any one facet or group in a HC position, the performance of those units is not going to be an accurate representation of his ability to coach them specifically. For Spurrier being his own OC, things were a little different. We didn't say he'd be a great defensive coach because we had one of the best defenses in the country when he was here, though.

... I get that. Did you read my post? He may be a good defensive coach or a good special teams coach. How those units faired under him as a head coach is not an accurate barometer of his ability to coach those players.

He may be a terrible ST coach. Who knows? I was only saying that because of lack of focus on any one facet or group in a HC position, the performance of those units is not going to be an accurate representation of his ability to coach them specifically. For Spurrier being his own OC, things were a little different. We didn't say he'd be a great defensive coach because we had one of the best defenses in the country when he was here, though.
Yeah I read it and agree with what you said. My point was he seemed to meddle more in the offense than he did defense which was his specialty. I never understood that.

Reactions: paladin181
So Muschamp is coaching the special teams? And our new coach's last name is Beamer ??????hmmmmmm

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
So you are saying
“He was the special teams coach in waiting

ba doom tish!!!

You got to go way back to understand and get a laugh out of that one
That would explain his penchant for ridiculous FG attempts.

Reactions: usc_nc
Yeah I read it and agree with what you said. My point was he seemed to meddle more in the offense than he did defense which was his specialty. I never understood that.
Micromanagers gotta micromanage. They can't help themselves. I used to work for one company owner who thought he was supposed to tell every person in the business how to do their jobs. He wasn't the most successful.

But as a former DC you would expect to at least have a decent defense. Saban was a DC and all his teams had good to great defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT