ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp contract has no mitigation language....

I hate to sound dumb, but what does this mean??? I can't read the state since I don't have a subscription so I don't know what the article says.

Thorough explanation of the situation from a non-pay site:

As noted above, mitigation language is an industry standard for the most part, so there's a 0% chance lawyers involved from our side missed this. It was not omitted as incompetent oversight. It was negotiated out. It's absurd that we agreed to it, but that's not the lawyer's job. That was up to the administration to agree to it.

We should have never fired him. We should have put him in an administrative role until he yelled uncle and revised the contract.

That said, I am sure we were dumb enough to write something in the contact that a demotion is forbidden.

The reasonable assumption is this: Tanner, and ultimately the BOT, were so supremely optimistic about how things seemed to be going with Muschamp that they really didn't foresee the scenario of him being fired.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We should have never fired him. We should have put him in an administrative role until he yelled uncle and revised the contract.

That said, I am sure we were dumb enough to write something in the contact that a demotion is forbidden.

So just move his desk to the basement and hope the 'glitch' works itself out? That actually would have been a pretty good idea 😂

47310713.jpg

With Muschamp, Ray was not a good steward of the University and Gamecock Club’s money (yes I know, Captain Obvious).

Increased the buyout by 3 million after the 7-5 season. For what reason? Was Muschamp going to walk? Was Ohio State trying to get him to replace Meyer?

I'm surprised they didn't write into the contract that he got promoted to AD if he got fired.

Reactions: viennacocks
With Muschamp, Ray was not a good steward of the University and Gamecock Club’s money (yes I know, Captain Obvious).

Increased the buyout by 3 million after the 7-5 season. For what reason? Was Muschamp going to walk? Was Ohio State trying to get him to replace Meyer?
The buy-out increased because the salary increased. It's not unusual to give a coach a raise after a good season, especially one that was much better than expected. And he got it after the 9-4 season. It is also standard that the contract is redone annually if only just to extend it a year at a time.

Muschamp reached a settlement with the school. The final terms are a bit different than the contract so I'm not sure that's relevant to this.
May be true but what would be Muschamp's motivation to negotiate something he is owed based on the contact?

The buy-out increased because the salary increased. It's not unusual to give a coach a raise after a good season, especially one that was much better than expected. And he got it after the 9-4 season. It is also standard that the contract is redone annually if only just to extend it a year at a time.
Only an extension, not a salary increase after the 7-5 season (Except I assume for the built in 200k increases he was getting.).

”Muschamp was originally signed to a five-year deal that made him one of the lowest-paid coaches in the SEC. After a nine-win season in 2017, he was given a sizable raise and extended to six years. A season later, one more year was added to the deal to keep it at six years.

That change, coming off a 7-5 regular season, added more than $3 million to the buyout.”

Reactions: rogue cock
Only an extension, not a salary increase after the 7-5 season (Except I assume for the built in 200k increases he was getting.).

”Muschamp was originally signed to a five-year deal that made him one of the lowest-paid coaches in the SEC. After a nine-win season in 2017, he was given a sizable raise and extended to six years. A season later, one more year was added to the deal to keep it at six years.

That change, coming off a 7-5 regular season, added more than $3 million to the buyout.”
Didn't realize the last part.

Maybe both parties knew that if Muschamp were to be fired again, the chances of him getting a major salary from another school were slim to none. One of the stipulations by his agent was possibly to squash this mitigation to guarantee some money. Heck if I know for sure, tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT