ADVERTISEMENT

My Stance on the Baseball Program

Sandlapper 1

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2002
Lexington, SC
Just feel like throwing out my thoughts for discussion to see what you guys think:

1)The Culture: Keep this in mind, when this coaching staff came into Columbia, they inherited a program while storied with great success and a tradition of winning, the clubhouse did not show enough pride in the program. It’s been noted countless times that during Holbrook’s tenure there was more of a laid back culture when it came to the team, and in baseball camaraderie is vital to the team. They have not only inherited a roster with holes they’ve had to try and patch up but a culture which didn’t back what the program can boast that others can’t.

2)Personnel Losses from last year: we saw a great exodus of seniors and junior eligible players leave the program from last years team, talented players like Carlos Cortes, Adam Hill, Cody Morris, LT Tolbert, and Eddy Demurius along with seniors who made the best of their final season here in Hunter Taylor, Madison Stokes, Jonah Bride and Justin Row. All these guys played a vital role in last year’s run that lead to us almost defeating a team who ended up being the National Runner Up in the CWS Final in Arkansas. The two areas which were dealt serious blows were literally the entire infield unless you count Cullen, and our frontline starting pitchers. I think we are just now realizing how much talent but especially heart, that we were replacing from last years upper class laden team. Think of the football team from 2017 to last season as an example.

3)Coaching Philosophy: First off let me say those of you who trashed Meade in that other thread, you will not find common ground with me. Meade has been touted as a rising star in the coaching ranks, and while unconventional in his methods in my opinion he will be one of best in this conference before all is said and done. Pitching wise here’s something to ponder, most people on here I believe would say our three best pitchers are Reid Morgan, Brett Kerry, and Cam Tringali, all of them first year guys in the program brought in under Kingston’s watch, which speaks volumes. We also have guys like Logan Chapman, Ridge Chapman, Carmen Mdlonzki, and Graham Lawson who are all injured and were expected to be major contributors in some fashion this season, that hurts no matter what level of baseball you play. So I believe pitching-wise Meade deserves a least two more whole seasons under his belt maybe even three before fair judgment can be passed. On the hitting approach, I do believe Kingston needs to be more selective on when to “go for broke” at the plate, and I think he’s definitely learned that through his experience this season, it certainly won’t win games in Omaha when we are facing Top 5 round projected pitching prospects.

For overall expectations, no I’m not saying I’m happy with this season and when it comes to baseball expectations are heightened automatically. However, give Kingston time to get this roster built up more across the board, I believe things will get better once he can get his guys in there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News