ADVERTISEMENT

My theory on why we traditionally play Georgia well.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
We always have several Georgia guys on our team (this years no different). And most every one of them were either slow played or not recruited at all by UGA. And I imagine many wanted to play there. So not only are they underdogs according to Vegas and the media. Which helps with motivation. They have a chip on their shoulders because UGA basically told them they weren’t good enough. And that’s the surefire way to get someone’s best effort.

Since 2010. 5-6 against UGA
Since 1988 12-19 against UGA. While not great, still we usually win 1 out of 3 against them.
200.gif

We always considered Georgia a rivalry game. I don't think they always did. I think they do now. What's our record at their place in the last 15 years? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

We always have several Georgia guys on our team (this years no different). And most every one of them were either slow played or not recruited at all by UGA. And I imagine many wanted to play there. So not only are they underdogs according to Vegas and the media. Which helps with motivation. They have a chip on their shoulders because UGA basically told them they weren’t good enough. And that’s the surefire way to get someone’s best effort.
Correct. Other factors include we catch them early before they have time to "jell" and of course as SOS said they often have people suspended early

Reactions: uscwatson21
I've always thought we hardly ever play uga well. At the same time, uga doesnt play us well. Every now and then tho, one of us does... but not often.

Last edited:
On playing UGA early in the season: “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.” ~ SOS

One time when in Atlanta before the Muschamp era, Buck Belue addressed this on his radio show, it was interesting to hear his Georgia homer perspective, he said Spurrier's staff always came in Georgia did a great job recruiting prospects that were on Georgia B list, the kids Georgia wanted in case they missed on their first choices, and getting and developing those players, then when it was time to play against Georgia they had a chip on their shoulders and many times those players were just as good as the players Georgia took over them.

He was talking more about Spurrier vs Richt regimes at that time.

I think another thing that typically helps us is that defenses are usually ahead of the offenses at the beginning of the year. With a few exceptions; we have always been a defensive team and this helps much more at the beginning of the year when we play them early.

In the top 10 favorite times being at WB was that 2000 Georgia game where we intercepted 'Heisman candidate' Carter 5 times. It became comical after the 4th interception.

• Sad
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
We always considered Georgia a rivalry game. I don't think they always did. I think they do now. What's our record at their place in the last 15 years? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

UGA probably considers Carolina their 5th biggest rival. They just have more history with Auburn, UT, Florida, and GT. For Gamecock fans it is easily the biggest SEC rival

Similar to how a program like Texas views Texas Tech. The Horns have several bigger rivals, but TCU has dominated Texas lately

How am I wrong Jeff? I have seen some pretty sloppy games between the two of us. It's probably one of the biggest reasons we have been as competive as we have been imo. It can be anyone's game more often than not.

We've been living rent free in their heads since Spurrier.

• Haha
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT