ADVERTISEMENT

My TOP 5 Little Things I Enjoyed About the Gamecocks Mayo Bowl Vicory

Mr CockStrong

Jan 2, 2009
As I get older -- I'll be turning the Double-Nickle next month -- I've learned to appreciate the little things in life. Being a Gamecock Alumn and sports fan has never been easy. But, as I've gotten older, I really have grown to enjoy the little things that many overlook or don't even give a thought. So, with that said, here are the little things I enjoyed about about the Mayo Bowl last week.

5. CAROLINA was spelled out in Garnet letters in the endzone (I cannot ever recall seeing Garnet used - always remember white letters)
4. Seeing JuJu hit pay-dirt (The little dance was icing on the cake)
3. Watching the speed of Ahmarean Brown with the ball in open space (Wow!)
2. Offensive Line blocking!!! (Where have you guys been?)
1. The UNcarolina defense whiffing and getting faked out of their jock straps as Dak was running and slinging the ball all over the field!

What little thing(s) did you enjoy about the game?

As I get older -- I'll be turning the Double-Nickle next month -- I've learned to appreciate the little things in life. Being a Gamecock Alumn and sports fan has never been easy. But, as I've gotten older, I really have grown to enjoy the little things that many overlook or don't even give a thought. So, with that said, here are the little things I enjoyed about about the Mayo Bowl last week.

5. CAROLINA was spelled out in Garnet letters in the endzone (I cannot ever recall seeing Garnet used - always remember white letters)
1. The UNcarolina defense whiffing and getting faked out of their jock straps as Dak was running and slinging the ball all over the field!

Dk threw a lateral pass to the left in the backfield and whoever was out there blocking for the receiver literally knocked the defender off his feet and into the air. Sorry but I could not tell who laid that block, but it was badass!

In bowl game. Seeing receiver Jenkins down field blocking to score Ju Ju. Love seeing that buy-in to help your team. Plus Good seeing so many Gamecocks fans attend

probably my biggest appreciation for the year was the Fan support that showed up to games. . Reading this board - you’d think that most our fans found new hobbies or was waiting to see what happens. . The Student section absolutely showed up to every game.

tailgating before the Florida game. In the rain and cold , watching an espn early game and seeing the bottom scroll read UF has an 87% chance of winning. - great win.

Dk threw a lateral pass to the left in the backfield and whoever was out there blocking for the receiver literally knocked the defender off his feet and into the air. Sorry but I could not tell who laid that block, but it was badass!
I remember the play, and tried to catch the blocker on replay several times when I rewatched the game. I THINK it was Josh Vann, but can't be certain.

Okay, in the spirit of the OP, I'll try to come up with 5 little things I enjoyed:

1. I hate to admit it, but I overslept kickoff. ( I had a late night-3 a.m. to be exact). When I woke up and turned on the TV, we were up 15-0! That was a great surprise.
2. I'm glad DK FINALLY got to play QB, and not just Wildcat QB. He played really well, especially given the situation. I'm not ready to say his future is at QB, but in a pinch...?
3. We had several guys step-up, fill-in and have productive games, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The d-line and secondary stood out.
4. Good old Parker White. This kid was not on steady ground all those years ago as a freshman. Muschamp kept trotting him out to attempt long field goals, and White struggled. But he was persistent, and he now leaves USC with his name all over the record book.
5. In the age of Air Raid, it was great to run the ball down a team's throat and impose our will. Seeing K Harris have the game he did (I especially enjoyed his run when he broke several tackles and nearly leveled the back judge)

May have been a different play, but Muse put a couple fellas on their baby blue backs out in the flats.

1. I hate to admit it, but I overslept kickoff. ( I had a late night-3 a.m. to be exact). When I woke up and turned on the TV, we were up 15-0! That was a great surprise.
Didn't oversleep, but getting all of the end-of-year stuff done at work, no way I could go home. I recorded the game and logged off GC at 11AM. Got home around 5PM, grilled supper, then watched the game. Didn't look at any social media, absolutely nothing. What a great way to start off a long weekend. :)

5 little things, or not so little. I had to pull an all nighter after a 12 hour day because we lost an employee recently -- so I went to bed around 7 a.m. but still managed to wake up in time for the game.

5. The TD pass from Joyner to Bell right off the bat. I mean, wow. I was groggy, that ungroggified me.

4. Seeing the way Beamer interacted with kids on the sidelines. Football is a game, and games should be fun.

3. Watching those guys in the booth try Dukes Mayo on everything from Oreos to donuts to cigarette butts.

2. Parker White, as someone mentioned. It was good to see him find a niche in the record book.

1. Seeing Harris go out with a boom. He's battled injuries and probably could've opted to sit the game out given his decision to enter the NFL draft. He didn't, and left on a high note.

I'll be 77 on Friday, the 7th so does that make 3 of a kind on the slots?

I had a buddy ask me what my prediction was for the game. I responded with "Tarholes X 25", then gave a few reasons I believed that would be the outcome (Okay! I'm admitting it).
I had to take my wife to a Dr. appt. at 10:30, so I set the game to record. On the way home from the appointment, my buddy texted me with "You need to work on your faith". I quickly told him I recorded the game, and to PLEASE not spoil it for me.
Needless to say, I was happy when we went up 15-0, but remained guarded until the game ended.

Speaking of the booth, one of my lowlights, they started out saying we can’t use Carolina to day and the main announcer proceeded to call unc Carolina all day! He must have graduated from there! Made it even sweeter that we dominated them!

The look on Mack Brown's face? Late in the fourth quarter, head coach Mack Brown made an interesting decision. He punted with under six minutes to play while trailing by two touchdowns. That decision came despite the fact his defense hadn’t stopped the South Carolina offense all game. He panicked.

I noticed the Gamecocks in garnet. It looked so good. It's something we should do at home games.

I couldnt tell either. I dont remember the announcers saying anything about it either. Was one hell of a block.
I remember the play, and tried to catch the blocker on replay several times when I rewatched the game. I THINK it was Josh Vann, but can't be certain.
Ahmareon Brown threw that block.

As I get older -- I'll be turning the Double-Nickle next month --

Wow! Same here come mid June!!

And even more "Wowser", your entire opening paragraph reads/feels as if I wrote it myself, and your entire post is totally relatable!!

Nice read!! =;-p

Reactions: Mr CockStrong

I can't add anything better.....enjoyed Hiwell going off a loser

1. The men who didn’t opt out
2. The men who are coming back for 2022 & talking about how the plan is different and they are with it
3. DEFENSE ( it’s kinda my thing) no disrespect to Bell, DK, Juju, KH and the men who showed out. Putting Sam on the sidelines early helped to build our lead.
4. Pete Limbo & the coaches preparation for Un-Carolina
5. Cocky walking around the SEC basketball games with a sign saying “imagine not winning your bowl game “

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT