ADVERTISEMENT

Name a power 5 program that is historically very much like ours

UVA is pretty similar, though they're somewhat superior.

-They 4 conference titles (2 of which coming in the 1910s, and no outright championships). We have 1 ACC title and a co-championship that was stripped.

-They have lost a Sugar and an Orange bowl and, like us, have never been national championship contenders. They're 8-13 in bowls and we're 9-14.

-We're both flagship universities who are owned by our cow college rivals.
I was thinking of them as well. They have a horrendous won lost record against Clemson. I am old enough to remember that Frank Howard called them "white meat". BYW...Frank Howard did have a losing record against the Gamecocks, and that fact has not soiled his reputation at Clemson.

I was there. JK. An old friend and avid collector of all kinds of things
My Dad used to attend games at Duke during the 1940s, after the war. Duke/Pitt used to be a huge game. Duke used to put bleachers alk the way around the top of the stadium to raise capacity to more than 60,000, a huge crowd back then. He said he bought tickets through the fence more than once. That's not the Duke we know today.

My Dad used to attend games at Duke during the 1940s, after the war. Duke/Pitt used to be a huge game. Duke used to put bleachers alk the way around the top of the stadium to raise capacity to more than 60,000, a huge crowd back then. He said he bought tickets through the fence more than once. That's not the Duke we know today.
No it isn’t. Several programs no longer elite that once were. Furman, once upon a time, had some very good teams

Reactions: king ward
Not just southern. Just about every state that has a "University of [state]" and a [state] State University and/or land grant college, it is the former that is historically superior in football, and many other things. Exceptions (besides Clemson) are Purdue, and ... hmmm any others? Can't think of any off hand.

Florida could be an example. Miami and FSU are at least equal historically in prestige, Miami probably better.

UF has 3 national titles (96, 06, 08). FSU with 3 also (93, 99, 13) and Miami has 5 (83, 87, 89, 91 and 01).

Also, VT is far better than UVa in terms of big time football success. If we are just going by national championships, GT has more than UGA, but obviously UGA has the superior program for the last 50 years.

California is another example. I assume Cal Berkeley would be considered thr “flagship” school for the state, but obviously Southern Cal is by far the best program in that state. And you mentioned Purdue-Indiana, but Notre Dame would of course beat them both as the king of Indiana football. I know I went outside a bit of your question by including non land grant and private schools.

How about our friends at Mississippi State. Started around 1902-1903 like us, just about the same winning percentage all time, one conference title and one division title. They do have more bowl games and more wins, but as noted, bowl games except for playoffs have tailed off in importance. When you think about it, they are very similar to us in terms of national reputation. They are underwater against Ole Miss. Having been to Starksville, both it and Columbia share in the how the University is critical to the town. We also share baseball success. And poor states. Yeah, Miss State is the closest thing to us in many ways.

Florida could be an example. Miami and FSU are at least equal historically in prestige, Miami probably better.

UF has 3 national titles (96, 06, 08). FSU with 3 also (93, 99, 13) and Miami has 5 (83, 87, 89, 91 and 01).

Also, VT is far better than UVa in terms of big time football success. If we are just going by national championships, GT has more than UGA, but obviously UGA has the superior program for the last 50 years.

California is another example. I assume Cal Berkeley would be considered thr “flagship” school for the state, but obviously Southern Cal is by far the best program in that state. And you mentioned Purdue-Indiana, but Notre Dame would of course beat them both as the king of Indiana football. I know I went outside a bit of your question by including non land grant and private schools.
Yeah. USCal and Miami are private schools, and, obviously, so is Notre Dame.

(As an aside, some in Cali used to say "USC" meant University of Spoiled Children. And, this was well before the recent admission scandals :))

Reading this thread gives me a more realistic view of USC's crummy history in CFB. It's not easy to face reality sometimes as I can always say to myself yes, but...............

What's surprising is the devotion of a lot of GC fans even with the little success to view. We are at a very low point right now thks to two unowhos.

The BOT should be banned. They seem to be a trojan horse for Clemson.

What's even dumber or as dumb as USC leaving the ACC?
Ans:Tulane leaving the SEC.

Interesting topic, I tend to agree with the UVA and NC State comparisons as far as the ACC. I've also sort of thought of Purdue as being more or less our equal in the Big 10. I've thought it would be a great idea to put them on our schedule sometime.

LSU has always been the flagship school. The school calling itself the University of Louisiana is basically what used to be called Southwestern Louisiana and has never been the flagship university of the state.
LSU is a Land-Trust college and was founded as a Agriculture and Military school.

I've depressed a lot of you (along with myself) by creating this topic, haven't I?
Past is not necessarily prologue. Yes, we have a steeper hill to climb but the right coach could do it. I firmly believe this. Needs to be a special coach, who is not spooked by the ghosts of the past and has a powerful vision of what Gamecock football can be.

Reactions: allyourbase
Past is not necessarily prologue. Yes, we have a steeper hill to climb but the right coach could do it. I firmly believe this. Needs to be a special coach, who is not spooked by the ghosts of the past and has a powerful vision of what Gamecock football can be.

You're right, of course. It can happen here. We've just had a lot of coaches who weren't up to the task for a long time. Spurrier, Holtz, Morrison, and Carlen were up to the task to some extent but age/health and politics capped their success. We've had a whole lot more guys over the years who simply weren't the people you need to build a championship program.

People call us a coaching graveyard because no one coaches big time football after coming here. It's not because we can't attract good coaches; it's because we've hired old ones whose best years were behind them or young ones who ended up not being that good. There's a reason why Brad Scott and Sparky never head coached at big time schools again: they weren't fit for big time head coaching. Imagine if we had hired a George Welsh or Frank Beamer or Mack Brown during those years. We totally could have, and they would have won here if they came here because they were winners. Hopefully we finally pick the right up and comer this time. We're certainly due.

One other thing about this thread. It's good for perspective to see where we are on the all-time list, but it's not all that relevant. I was the first in this thread to note that UVA is a pretty close facsimile to our historic success. Other schools like Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Duke, and Army have more winning tradition than us. Hell, Harvard STILL has more winning tradition than almost any program in the country. But that doesn't mean that this is a worse job than those programs. Most objective judges would agree that our job is better than the ones I just named. We have the money and fans that those schools and dozens of others ahead of us with more tradition don't have.

No one in 1990 would have predicted that Wisconsin would be a regular Rose Bowl team going forward or that Oregon would be a major PAC 10 force for a few decades. But here we are. Things can change quick. I hope they do.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
SEC: Ole Miss (never played for an SEC title), UK, Vandy, Miss. State.
(excluding Mizzou because of the 2 East titles and Big XII success, and A&M because of the surprise Big XII title over K-State years ago).

ACC: Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake.
(excluding Pitt because of their history, GT because of the '90 co-title, and VT because even though they've never won a national title they at least played for one in 1999).

Big Ten: Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern

Big XII: Iowa State, Texas Tech.
(excluding Baylor because of the success, however problematic it was, under Briles, and KU because of the Mangino year).

Pac-12: Arizona, Oregon State (obviously), Washington State, Utah.
(excluding Colorado because of the '90 co-title and Cal because of the Tedford success).

SEC: Ole Miss (never played for an SEC title), UK, Vandy, Miss. State.
(excluding Mizzou because of the 2 East titles and Big XII success, and A&M because of the surprise Big XII title over K-State years ago).

ACC: Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake.
(excluding Pitt because of their history, GT because of the '90 co-title, and VT because even though they've never won a national title they at least played for one in 1999).

Big Ten: Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern

Big XII: Iowa State, Texas Tech.
(excluding Baylor because of the success, however problematic it was, under Briles, and KU because of the Mangino year).

Pac-12: Arizona, Oregon State (obviously), Washington State, Utah.
(excluding Colorado because of the '90 co-title and Cal because of the Tedford success).

Ole Miss has 6 SEC titles, the most recent in ‘63, the last non-“Big 6“ team to win the SEC football title.

Ole Miss has 6 SEC titles, the most recent in ‘63, the last non-“Big 6“ team to win the SEC football title.
My point was that Ole Miss has never played in the SEC championship game since it began in 1992, which is why I said they had never played for an SEC title. Moreover, the Landsharks haven’t won a league title since 8 years before the late, great Gentle Ben Williams desegregated the football team in 1971. Ole Miss boasting about those past league titles from a different era is on par with the cringe-worthy “1969 ACC Champions” banner at Williams-Brice. Ole Miss is like a slightly more successful Carolina but with significantly more overtly racist history, Southern-gothic traditions and unparalleled, albeit problematically plantation-style tailgating. That, and their retread head coach may actually work out; he certainly was better that Boom this year, even if his D-Coordinator should be donating his salary to a worthy charity in Mississippi since he’s stealing a paycheck.

Last edited:
Bama: 27
UGA & UT: 13
LSU: 12
UF & Auburn: 8 (one vacated for UF)

UK has 2, the last in 1976, and MSU has 1, from 1941.

Us, Arkansas, Mizzou, A&M and Vandy have never won the league, so we’re even behind Georgia Tech (5) and Tulane (3).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT