ADVERTISEMENT

NC State projected as Top 4 in CFB

davidusc

Mar 18, 2003
So this sports pundit thinks NC State will be better than expected this year. Interesting.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/SEC-Network-analyst-picks-NC-State-in-his-top-four-103776017

N.C. State is an interesting team, with 3,000-yard passer Ryan Finley returning to an offense thick with skill position talent like Jaylen Samuels and running back Nyheim Hines. Defensively, the Wolfpack could take a step forward behind elite pass-rusher Bradley Chubb.

Still, this is a team that went 7-6 and had a losing record (3-5) in ACC play a year ago, and the schedule doesn’t help. Sure, N.C. State could overcome a loss at Florida State, as the game is early enough on Sept. 23.

But Louisville — and returning Heisman winner Lamar Jackson — looms two weeks after that, and late October, early November brings a two-week stretch that includes a game at an improved Notre Dame and a home contest against Clemson.

Of course, Cubelic's other three choices each made the College Football Playoff last year.

He's right they will be pretty good but let's not get carried away here. So he believes NC State is now a National power and has a legit shot at the NC because their QB is a 3000 yd passer coming off a 7-6 season? Sure their DL is good but nobody win's the NC just because their DL is good. Heck then, why not just pick us too?

Reactions: RexFerall
I see them winning 9-10 games.
Don't see where he sees the "improved Notre Dame" part
Hopefully they start 0-1 though

They were 4-1 going into the Clemson game on the road and should have won. Don't know what happend after that. Clemson had a pick 6, was stuffed on a 4th and goal from the 1 yard line and lucked up on a 4th and 14 play just before halftime that allowed them to score a TD. They played the game of their life against Clemson and should have won.

We'll get their best shot in the opener and Kurt Roper should have experience going against their defensive scheme so we have a chance to pull the upset....

They were 4-1 going into the Clemson game on the road and should have won. Don't know what happend after that. Clemson had a pick 6, was stuffed on a 4th and goal from the 1 yard line and lucked up on a 4th and 14 play just before halftime that allowed them to score a TD. They played the game of their life against Clemson and should have won.

We'll get their best shot in the opener and Kurt Roper should have experience going against their defensive scheme so we have a chance to pull the upset....
NC State hit Clemson harder than any other team last year. That team was tough and I hope we can give Bentley time to see his reads.

NC State hit Clemson harder than any other team last year. That team was tough and I hope we can give Bentley time to see his reads.
This. I just hope we protect Bentley and are able to generate a pass rush. Do that and we have a great shot.

Reactions: mavcock
It was a strange game. Clemson couldn't convert a 4th and 1, they had no running game after Gallman was knocked out in the 1st series, and NC States kicker missed 3 scores. NC State also had a pick 6 and Mike Williams had a huge fumble in the red
Zone that was nearly returned for a TD but Watson made a tackle to save another defensive TD.

They have an accurate QB but if our secondary improves in coverage, we can play them close IMO.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Clemson has lots of busted plays in the secondary...every year. It's a high risk, high reward type of scheme. Clemson won because the Bama QB couldn't complete anything down the field.

Reactions: 01fatboy
Jeffy...That is false! Alabama led for most of the game. Clemson won, because they ran 99 plays (needed every one of them). Bama couldn't get first downs in the second half. Clemson took away the running game and short passing game (dared the guy to throw down field).

Tater...You might be the dumbest poster. Clemson was NOT more talented than Bama. If Bama doesn't lose their RB and can just make a few first downs, they win the game relatively easily. Clemson was better at QB...that's probably it. It just turned out that the Taters "scheme" worked out for them. Bama's defense got worn down by so many plays.

Clemson won because they were better than Bama and had the best player.

I agree they had the best player, and at the most important position. Without Watson I don't think Clemson even makes the playoffs. He was just that good at making plays when it mattered.

All that said, I was still surprised they had enough to beat Bama.

Reactions: cocky4
So I guess you'll be pulling for the Dawgs on Sept. 9th.?:rolleyes:
Yes - without hesitancy. I was around in the early 1960s when Notre Dame won the national championship by playing for a tie in their ninth game of the season, vs. Michigan State. I also remember the year they entered the Cotton Bowl ranked fifth, and went all the way to first by beating Texas, who was then No. 1, but leapfrogging an undefeated Bama team in the process. They have too many advantages in the media and thus the polls. I hope they lose every game they play.

Jeffy...That is false! Alabama led for most of the game. Clemson won, because they ran 99 plays (needed every one of them). Bama couldn't get first downs in the second half. Clemson took away the running game and short passing game (dared the guy to throw down field).
Bama lost because #29 went into the tent and didn't come out. It's as simple as that.

Tater...You might be the dumbest poster. Clemson was NOT more talented than Bama. If Bama doesn't lose their RB and can just make a few first downs, they win the game relatively easily. Clemson was better at QB...that's probably it. It just turned out that the Taters "scheme" worked out for them. Bama's defense got worn down by so many plays.

Why didn't Bama stop them from running so many plays ? Because they couldn't stop them.

Bama losing their RB hurt their chances but allowing klempsun to run 99 plays was the nail in the coffin. No defense could handle that yet climzun needed every last play to pull it out. No more playoffs without Watson and Gallman mark it down.

jeff2001Well-Known Member
New

Why didn't Bama stop them from running so many plays ? Because they couldn't stop them.

Because their defense played most of the second half. It takes more energy to play defense, because the offense knows where they are going...defense doesn't. No defense could have held up under that many plays...3 and outs gets your defense worn down.

Jeffy...Stop kissing Tater Ass...it's unbecoming!

So this sports pundit thinks NC State will be better than expected this year. Interesting.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/SEC-Network-analyst-picks-NC-State-in-his-top-four-103776017

N.C. State is an interesting team, with 3,000-yard passer Ryan Finley returning to an offense thick with skill position talent like Jaylen Samuels and running back Nyheim Hines. Defensively, the Wolfpack could take a step forward behind elite pass-rusher Bradley Chubb.

Still, this is a team that went 7-6 and had a losing record (3-5) in ACC play a year ago, and the schedule doesn’t help. Sure, N.C. State could overcome a loss at Florida State, as the game is early enough on Sept. 23.

But Louisville — and returning Heisman winner Lamar Jackson — looms two weeks after that, and late October, early November brings a two-week stretch that includes a game at an improved Notre Dame and a home contest against Clemson.

Of course, Cubelic's other three choices each made the College Football Playoff last year.
Smoking Crack!

Well, if we read everything out there every conference except the ACC shouldn't even play football this year. Everything says FSU is going to win the ACC this year, Clemson right on their heels with Louisville peaking in too. So, if NC State is in the top 4 - I guess the ACC has the top 4 Spots locked up. And, I haven't even mentioned the hype coming out of Miami or Turdhill country.

Coming off a 6-6 campaign, like us, NC state should be aiming to finish in the top 4 in their division - maybe that is what they meant?

I'm on your side on this one Jeff you're not kissing Tigger tail you're just pointing out fact. To let any team run 99 offensive plays means you couldn't stop them and the other defense stopped you.

Reactions: griffgolf
I'm on your side on this one Jeff you're not kissing Tigger tail you're just pointing out fact. To let any team run 99 offensive plays means you couldn't stop them and the other defense stopped you.
Clemson ran at least two illegal pick plays on offense that were not called. The last one was for the final touchdown. Just sayin'. Alabama was the beneficiary of very few penalties called against their opponent last year. Blatant illegal plays have to be flagged...period.

Clemson ran at least two illegal pick plays on offense that were not called. The last one was for the final touchdown. Just sayin'. Alabama was the beneficiary of very few penalties called against their opponent last year. Blatant illegal plays have to be flagged...period.

That last "pick" was actually defensive pass interference. Watch the replay; the Alabama defensive back initiates contact and tackles the receiver. Was it designed as a pick - Yes, more than likely. But the actual play is definitely defensive interference.
And if you want to talk about blatant illegal plays that weren't called - how about the Alabama linebacker spearing Watson, early in the game. Bad calls went both ways.

Well if they ain't called it ain't cheating right? I would pull for North Korea before pulling for kelpzum but hey if it ain't called it's legal. In the view of some on here that's just the way it goes it's not cheating it's doing what you have to do. With that said I don't remember or care.

Well if they ain't called it ain't cheating right? I would pull for North Korea before pulling for kelpzum but hey if it ain't called it's legal. In the view of some on here that's just the way it goes it's not cheating it's doing what you have to do. With that said I don't remember or care.
You mean "Well if they ain't cheating, they ain't playing"? I think that fixed it for you.

I agree they had the best player, and at the most important position. Without Watson I don't think Clemson even makes the playoffs. He was just that good at making plays when it mattered.

All that said, I was still surprised they had enough to beat Bama.

I hate admit it but Watson was just that good. A great qb can take a team a long way.

You mean "Well if they ain't cheating, they ain't playing"? I think that fixed it for you.
When you are in the closing seconds of the NC game and the game is on the line roll the dice, what's the worst that could happen? I don't know if it was a penalty or not but if it was what did they have to lose with the clock running out if it was called? A call like that could go either way but was it cheating or desperation, either way it worked. Personally, I would prefer Bama picking the pass and going 100 yards stepping on Dabo's foot when passing him.

Bama losing their RB hurt their chances but allowing klempsun to run 99 plays was the nail in the coffin. No defense could handle that yet climzun needed every last play to pull it out. No more playoffs without Watson and Gallman mark it down.
Those two things bear a linear relationship to one another. If #29 stays in, Bama moves the chains and UPC doesn't run 99 plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT