ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA mandating regionals being based on travel is a joke

May 10, 2016
Gilbert, SC
I wonder if Long Beach State and Fullerton would even make the tournament if they played in the SEC. I don't wonder, I know, they wouldn't. Hearing Fullerton has made the CWS 17 times reiterates that.

I wonder if Long Beach State and Fullerton would even make the tournament if they played in the SEC. I don't wonder, I know, they wouldn't. Hearing Fullerton has made the CWS 17 times reiterates that.
Both teams have a pretty decent baseball heritage. Neither are jokes this year at all. Fullerton knocked us out of the CWS in 2004 I think. Their catcher then was Sazuki when we had Landon Powell. Those were the two best catchers in college baseball that year.

Reactions: okccock
Both teams have a pretty decent baseball heritage. Neither are jokes this year at all. Fullerton knocked us out of the CWS in 2004 I think. Their catcher then was Sazuki when we had Landon Powell. Those were the two best catchers in college baseball that year.

That weaver kid was no joke that year..

Reactions: Out of Conference
It is foolish to try and knock Fullerton:
4 national titles
Never had a losing season in Division 1
110 All Americans (1 for 18 straight years)
59 players that made it to MLB
18 CWS appearances
Knocked us out as mentioned above

There are very few programs in the NATION that match the success of Fullerton baseball. They do not fear any team and have had success against the best of the best

Long Beach isn't bad either. They crossed the country and took 2/3 from North Carolina. You know that one that has beaten the crap out of us in the Chad years

Reactions: Out of Conference
There is a ton of high school baseball talent in California and Fullerton has consistently done a great job of recruiting its fair share of those players. They also have had some amazing head coaches over the past 20+ years. They also consistently play a strong out of conference schedule. There is lots of good baseball programs outside of the SEC and ACC, just look at the Pac 12 and recent success and national championships from Oregon State, UCLA and Arizona. The Big West which is conference Fullerton is in is considered typically the second strongest baseball conference out west.

Knocking Fullerton baseball and their continued success in tourney is very uneducated.

The point was they play no one all year. Then get put in regionals with other teams that are based on region. Haha, let's go out to the big west this year, whats our conference record? Since I'm so uneducated.

There is a ton of high school baseball talent in California and Fullerton has consistently done a great job of recruiting its fair share of those players. They also have had some amazing head coaches over the past 20+ years. They also consistently play a strong out of conference schedule. There is lots of good baseball programs outside of the SEC and ACC, just look at the Pac 12 and recent success and national championships from Oregon State, UCLA and Arizona. The Big West which is conference Fullerton is in is considered typically the second strongest baseball conference out west.

Knocking Fullerton baseball and their continued success in tourney is very uneducated.
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/
Here's a list of all of the great programs in the big west. Fullerton actually finished behind a team that finished .500 overall. Further proving my point. I'm so uneducated

CSF ain't no joke. So much talent in Cali and not enough schools to go around. They don't have much of football or basketball teams but they get baseball players. They're a blueblood for modern day baseball

You mean you would allow long trips, adding to our carbon footprint and risking further: dare i say it; CLIMATE CHANGE?

Reactions: Bleadgandb3334
The point was they play no one all year. Then get put in regionals with other teams that are based on region. Haha, let's go out to the big west this year, whats our conference record? Since I'm so uneducated.

In baseball, it's not just the Power 5 teams that are competitive. After all, Fullerton has won the CWS 4 times whereas Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Rice, Wichita State, and Pepperdine have all won it as well.

Meanwhile, I don't get the objection to a western regional. You realize that California produces more baseball talent than any other state? Also, Oregon State was the #1 overall seed with an insane record of 54-4. The PAC 12 has won a total of 25 CWS titles (far more than any other conference), and that's not even counting western teams like Fullerton, Fresno, and Pepperdine who have all won titles as well.

Finally, the regional format not only makes travel easier for a sport that barely breaks even financially, but it helps ensure compelling match-ups which is something the sport needs. One of my daughters attends UK, so I wasn't thrilled about them getting sent to the Louisville regional for example. But it's better for the sport to do that because it creates compelling regional match-ups and that's good for both ticket sales and TV. Same goes for all those years that USC plays UNC, Clemson, NC State, ECU, etc.

http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/
Here's a list of all of the great programs in the big west. Fullerton actually finished behind a team that finished .500 overall. Further proving my point. I'm so uneducated

As Coyote said, west coast college baseball is consistently strong. Showing one year of Big West baseball records is meaningless and in no way proves your ridiculous initial theory. The Big West and Pac 12 consistently get teams into the CWS, many time those Big West schools have to go thru non-west regionals. Recent examples, UCSB winning @ Louisville to advance to CWS, UC Irvine winning @ Oklahoma State in 2014 to advance to CWS. Fullerton rightfully so is considered one of the elite baseball programs.

Just admit your initial post was wrong and move on.

Reactions: wentzel25
As Coyote said, west coast college baseball is consistently strong. Showing one year of Big West baseball records is meaningless and in no way proves your ridiculous initial theory. The Big West and Pac 12 consistently get teams into the CWS, many time those Big West schools have to go thru non-west regionals. Recent examples, UCSB winning @ Louisville to advance to CWS, UC Irvine winning @ Oklahoma State in 2014 to advance to CWS. Fullerton rightfully so is considered one of the elite baseball programs.

Just admit your initial post was wrong and move on.
Wow, one year? Maybe I'll do a google search for u since I'm so uneducated.
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2015/standings.asp
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2016/standings.asp
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2014/standings.asp
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2013/standings.asp
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2013/standings.asp
http://www.bigwest.org/sports/baseball/info/review/2012/standings.asp
Man all of the powerhouses in this conference are just too much to take.

The entire point of thread was that those schools play no one in conference. I never questioned the talent in California. A bunch of free willys attacked me. How about next time, let's just talk about the facts that I've presented. Clemsux lives off of the easy conference angle. So do baseball teams out west. Period

Also maybe, we would've won the cws in 2000. What were we 52-4 heading into the postseason? And then we got paired up with a strong team from the south. Would've loved to have seen Fullerton travel across the country that year. I'm so uneducated though

If that was your point Blead you did a horrible job at capturing it in your initial post or any of your subsequent rambling posts. I am still trying to figure out how you saying "Hearing Fullerton has made the CWS 17 times" proves your point vs in reality it actually destroying your initial claim.

I will just have to accept that Blead's logic is so advanced that it is beyond mine and anyone else on this threads comprehension. Your way with words & arguing is just at a whole new level that obviously only you get. I look forward to hearing your opinion on other topics, and only pray you capture them as eloquently & intelligently as you did on this thread. We are truly blessed to have you on this forum.

The entire point of thread was that those schools play no one in conference. I never questioned the talent in California. A bunch of free willys attacked me. How about next time, let's just talk about the facts that I've presented. Clemsux lives off of the easy conference angle. So do baseball teams out west. Period

The travel mandate was put in place after Sept 11 and never really changed. Most super regional brackets are linked together based on proximity. The only real exception was Clemson's regional being linked to Oregon State. I remember us having to travel to Stanford (in their prime) in June '01 for our super regional and we had a solid season that year led by Bouknight on the mound. We took them to three games and lost 2-1 in the final game I believe. That close to Omaha. Stanford having a home field advantage was an understatement to say the least as you didnt see many of our fans in Palo Alto. We started our three year Omaha run the next year though in '02.

Reactions: LexGamecock2015
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT