ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA- NIL development

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
Could a lawsuit filed by the attorneys general of Virginia and Tennessee further erode, or even end, the NCAA's regulatory role in college athletics? If so, it would be a victory for the students whose sweat on the field and the court earns the NCAA and its member schools billions each year.

The NCAA's end seems closer than ever after a judge on Friday issued a preliminary injunction against the organization, halting its enforcement of rules that allow students to earn money based on their name, image and likeness, also known as NIL. "Colleges and universities benefit dramatically from the success of their student athletes," Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares said in a news release in January announcing the lawsuit. "It's only fair that student athletes also get the full picture of how they may benefit from their choice of school as well."

The joint Tennessee-Virginia lawsuit takes aim at the enforcement of those rules and their application during recruitment. It argues that limiting NIL opportunities amounts to an unfair restriction of trade in violation of the federal Sherman Antitrust Act.

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/article286263200.html#storylink=cpy

Could a lawsuit filed by the attorneys general of Virginia and Tennessee further erode, or even end, the NCAA's regulatory role in college athletics? If so, it would be a victory for the students whose sweat on the field and the court earns the NCAA and its member schools billions each year.

The NCAA's end seems closer than ever after a judge on Friday issued a preliminary injunction against the organization, halting its enforcement of rules that allow students to earn money based on their name, image and likeness, also known as NIL. "Colleges and universities benefit dramatically from the success of their student athletes," Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares said in a news release in January announcing the lawsuit. "It's only fair that student athletes also get the full picture of how they may benefit from their choice of school as well."

The joint Tennessee-Virginia lawsuit takes aim at the enforcement of those rules and their application during recruitment. It argues that limiting NIL opportunities amounts to an unfair restriction of trade in violation of the federal Sherman Antitrust Act.

Yep - This push is definitely about the players. :)

There has to be middle ground. Without the universities and the NCAA, these athletes would have absolutely no platform to perform and earn this NIL money. Just as pro players would be making $0 if not for the existence of the NFL.

Reactions: Ward Jr
The NCAA is damaged goods. I'm all for it going away as long as a new governing body emerges and reels in this NIL and portal maddness.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Colleges and universities are about higher education, and receiving scholarships is what allows for some students to obtain that education which they otherwise couldn't afford. A big question I have is how much are these NILs being taxed if they are being taxed? It should be STUDENT then athlete, not the other way around

Prior to all this, the players got a free education for playing. I guess that was not enough. I know that I worked in textile mills at all hours while going to college. While in graduate school, I worked a desk at one of the dorms .I would have loved to get a free education back in the day. Of course, no one paid money to see me work. With all that said, I have no problem with athletes also getting NIL money to go along with their free education. But there ought to be a set amount in my opinion. Players should go straight to the NFL or, if available, some semi-pro league out of high school, to make big money if that's their need.

If things don't change, college football will be damaged goods. As PaleoCock, above, aptly described the current state of affairs,,,, it's "NIL and Portal madness".

Prior to all this, the players got a free education for playing. I guess that was not enough. I know that I worked in textile mills at all hours while going to college. While in graduate school, I worked a desk at one of the dorms .I would have loved to get a free education back in the day. Of course, no one paid money to see me work. With all that said, I have no problem with athletes also getting NIL money to go along with their free education. But there ought to be a set amount in my opinion.

Why?

We operate under a free market. Players should be able to get whatever they can get.

Why does anyone get to limit their income? That doesn't even seem legal at this point.

Folks are either for a free market system or they aren't.

Why?

We operate under a free market. Players should be able to get whatever they can get.

Why does anyone get to limit their income? That doesn't even seem legal at this point.

Folks are either for a free market system or they aren't.

We are not a free market. Not even close. What planet do you live on? Not this one, for sure.

We are not a free market. Not even close. What planet do you live on? Not this one, for sure.

America operates under a free market system. No one has the right to limit a college age adult's income opportunities.

"Reform would do the NCAA some good and the organization may still have a role to play in management of sports outside of football and basketball. That role will be further diminished if the Virginia-Tennessee lawsuit succeeds, as it should.

The NCAA wants to preserve a reality that no longer exists. There is no assurance that what follows will be markedly better, but it will represent a step forward if it puts the rights of student-athletes first and fairly compensates them for their time and talent."

America operates under a free market system. No one has the right to limit a college age adult's income opportunities.

"Reform would do the NCAA some good and the organization may still have a role to play in management of sports outside of football and basketball. That role will be further diminished if the Virginia-Tennessee lawsuit succeeds, as it should.

The NCAA wants to preserve a reality that no longer exists. There is no assurance that what follows will be markedly better, but it will represent a step forward if it puts the rights of student-athletes first and fairly compensates them for their time and talent."

Absolutely wrong. You need to read the definition of free market. In fact, the courts involvement in this is exact the OPPOSITE of free market.

Absolutely wrong. You need to read the definition of free market. In fact, the courts involvement in this is exact the OPPOSITE of free market.

Disagree.

glad the courts are involved to make sure no one is limiting any income opportunities.

Disagree.

glad the courts are involved to make sure no one is limiting any income opportunities.

Well, you can "disagree" all you want, but that won't change the definition of free market.

Government involvement with the courts is ABSOLUTEY the opposite of free market.

Well, you can "disagree" all you want, but that won't change the definition of free market.

Government involvement with the courts is ABSOLUTEY the opposite of free market.

Disagree. Glad to see the courts involved and the lawsuits to protect the players to make sure they are able to keep earning whatever the market provides.

You disagree with the definition of free market?

You are NOT smart.

I'm plenty smart and a lot "smarter" than you.

The NCAA should embrace the free market when it comes to player compensation
The NCAA is hell-bent on capping how much players can earn from name, image and likeness deals.

Decent, if a little dated, article

You disagree with the definition of free market?

You are NOT smart.

Decent article

"Maybe that’s what the market demands?"

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in the concurring opinion in NCAA v. Alston (2021) : “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate.”

I'm really shocked you could spell "smart" without help. LOL

Again, slightly dated, but a pretty decent article

Dave - You continue to argue in favor of an unregulated "free-for-all" market.

Why do you believe the NFL has guardrails on their system? And they are professionals, not amateurs.

Why do you believe Dawn Staley decided to pay her players $25,000 a piece rather than have a couple of players making a bunch of money and the others zero?

There's a little more nuisance required to promote equity and fair play -- something you claim to be a beacon of.

The problem isn't with players being paid for NIL, like autographs, licenses for memorabilia, etc. It is how do you put in safeguards so that you can maintain fair competition among schools? This shit show has turned into nothing more than a pay for play system whereby whoever has the most and wealthiest fan bases can buy the best teams. There needs to be a regulation whereby boosters of teams they give money to cannot participate in the NIL program for that team. That would go a long way toward fixing the NIL and make it what the Supreme Court meant by allowing players to participate in free trade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT