ADVERTISEMENT

Some great news

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
Good news for everyone.

No one ever talks about good news from the government - so here goes - announced Thursday

FCC issues historic $300 million fine against the largest robocall scam in history

The illegal operation, which was made up of an international network of companies, violated federal statutes by making robocalls to more than 500 million phone numbers in the span of three months in 2021. They also used more than one million different caller ID numbers, violating federal spoofing laws.

“We take seriously our responsibility to protect consumers and the integrity of U.S. communications networks from the onslaught of these types of pernicious calls,” said FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Loyaan A. Egal.

But the campaign had been in existence for even longer, the FCC added. Using a multitude of shell companies, aliases and fly-by-night phone providers allegedly under their control, the people behind the network — which CNN has previously reported on — had sought to dupe unwitting consumers into buying shoddy service contracts for their vehicles since 2018.

The ringleaders of the operation, Roy Melvin Cox Jr and Aaron Michael Jones, were repeat offenders who had already been under judicial orders not to engage in telemarketing.

The turning point​

A breakthrough in enforcement came last July, when Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost filed a lawsuit against the network that outlined many of the operation’s details, including its organizational structure. At the same time, the FCC directed US voice providers to stop carrying calls originating from providers used by the network.

Within weeks, third-party industry estimates showed an 80% reduction in the volume of auto-warranty spam calls in the United States, and on Thursday, the FCC said the move ultimately led to a 99% reduction in such calls.

The Ohio AG’s lawsuit had been the culmination of a joint state and federal investigation that also highlighted the growing effectiveness of technology and policies aimed at beating back the tide of illegal robocalls.

For example, improvements in call-tracing have allowed investigators to quickly identify the source of unwanted, automated calls, while additional FCC policies have enabled regulators to block entire voice providers from the US telephone network for robocall violations.

The partnership between the FCC and Ohio officials has also been replicated with 46 other states, the District of Columbia and Guam, with Hawaii and New Mexico joining the list on Thursday, the FCC said.

I also received these calls- not a sophisticated operation really

caller picks up. Voice on other end immediately wants to offer extended warranty. Doesn't even know what type of car you have.

I played games with them a few times - pretending to have a very rare and expensive car- or would use a name of something that clearly wasn't a car- like a 2009 Rip-Roping T5000. The callers would pretend to look up how much it would cost to warranty the car and would then be asking for my credit card number. LOL

A call back to the number doesn't go anywhere but to a dead line. So no way to get in touch with the company if you had a question about the warranty or anything else. of course it's a scam so there is no one to get in touch with anyway.

Seems like the most obvious scam in the world. But of course LOTS of people fall for it- and fell for it.

This is the reason I ended up canceling my land-line- because all I ever received on it was spam calls.

Spectrum's home phone service allows one to "add" up to 30 phone numbers that are to be automatically blocked. Well, I did that but had tons more i wanted to add. I asked Spectrum to increase my ability to block calls by giving me the ability to block hundreds of calls. this would not have cost them anymore money. They said they weren't going to do that. So I canceled the service and they lost a home phone customer.

This is like some mother bragging about taking care of her kids.

Like Chris Rock says, "You're supposed to take care of your kids!"

Reactions: king ward
This is like some mother bragging about taking care of her kids.

Like Chris Rock says, "You're supposed to take care of your kids!"

Of course

but when mom hasn't been taking care of the kids for so long- and finally does- she's going to get a pat on the back from a few folks for finally coming around a little.

Reactions: purenonsense
There’s a sucker born every minute. You’ve gotta use common sense and not fall for such obvious BS.

My favorite response to telemarketers is “You caught me at a really bad time. I was just in the middle of masturbating.” 😁

You've got to be savvy to the signs of suspicious communication now, in all its forms. Still, I applaud this action and hope it is the first of many big busts we read about. This is a scourge we're talking about.

Reactions: Jbouton2
You've got to be savvy to the signs of suspicious communication now, in all its forms. Still, I applaud this action and hope it is the first of many big busts we read about. This is a scourge we're talking about.

I agree.

The guy who lives across the street from me lost his wife early last year. Recently, he was out in his yard and I got to talking to him and he was telling me about some of the folks he's been talking to. I didn't know what he was talking about it first. I thought he meant in person.

Then it hit me that he's been talking to telemarketing folks calling him. He said he had donated some money to a local charity that called but wasn't going to do it anymore because they kept calling him.

I gently told him that my advice would be never to donate money to anyone over the phone. He said the woman that called was really nice. I really felt sorry for him but I can't tell him what to do. He clearly is fine mentally - meaning he's pretty sharp and doesn't have any issues making decisions, driving, going to the store, etc.

I did mention it to his son when he came home from work because he's been staying there since his mom died. But he works all day. He told me he'd check into it.

He just a lonely older fellow and I guess the scam callers have him on their dial list now and they know he wants someone to talk to. I try to talk to him a good bit when he's outside in his yard.

I suspect a lot of the scam callers have a lot of luck with folks like him.

Reactions: king ward
If you enjoy watching scammers get wrecked. Check out Kitboga lol

is that the folks that keep them on the phone for a really long time acting like they can't hear them- or don't understand them?

I've seen those guys and they are funny.

is that the folks that keep them on the phone for a really long time acting like they can't hear them- or don't understand them?

I've seen those guys and they are funny.
They’ll create fake bank accounts and use voice changers. They’ll act like old ladies or men and completely wreck scammers for hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT