ADVERTISEMENT

The Ban

You need your head examined for defending things such as this. It looks like we very well could be connected in what happened in Moscow yesterday. Do you approve of that too? These people have been up to no good for over 3 years now and you still haven't put it together.

I don't need my head examined.

I wasn't defending anything except immigration and immigration policy is the federal government's job, not individual states.

You'd crap your shorts if a state had said "to hell with Donald Trump's policy on immigration, we'll do what we think is best."

I don't want to ban it, I want to seize it. Nothing about the seizure stops the US from making more comprehensive laws. I am for that too. I don't like China. I don't want them to own something so influential in the US as TikTok. It isn't just a privacy issue. They could never misuse any private data or surveillance, but China still shouldn't own it.

Well first, you don't know much about politicians. If they ban Tiktok or pass a law to "seize it," most will wash their hands of it and move on to the next issue and brag to folks like you "we took care of the problem" and most Americans will believe it.

Do you support the federal government seizing X from Elon Musk? China can easily buy data on Americans that use X - or used Twitter beforehand- on the open market

What about Truth Social from Donald Trump? Chances are, the data privacy protocols aren't as strong with Truth Social as they are with TikTok.

If Congress "seizes" TikTok and turns it over to an American company- after China retaliates and seizes American companies and turns them over to Chinese companies, China can still get the same data from the American company. That's what you can't seem to understand.

There is no reason they can't with the right Congress given if they do what you want with TikTok, the precedent will be set for any social media companies a majority of Congress doesn't like.

I'm for Congress passing a good data privacy law that doesn't "seize" any private companies or ban any of them. I think that is the more consistent policy and doesn't empower the government and politicians to seize private companies they don't like which doesn't accomplish anything anyway.

Plus, it's probably not going to happen because the Senate doesn't seem like it's interested in passing it -for good reason.

Well first, you don't know much about politicians. If they ban Tiktok or pass a law to "seize it," most will wash their hands of it and move on to the next issue and brag to folks like you "we took care of the problem" and most Americans will believe it.

Do you support the federal government seizing X from Elon Musk? China can easily buy data on Americans that use X - or used Twitter beforehand- on the open market

What about Truth Social from Donald Trump? Chances are, the data privacy protocols aren't as strong with Truth Social as they are with TikTok.

If Congress "seizes" TikTok and turns it over to an American company- after China retaliates and seizes American companies and turns them over to Chinese companies, China can still get the same data from the American company. That's what you can't seem to understand.

There is no reason they can't with the right Congress given if they do what you want with TikTok, the precedent will be set for any social media companies a majority of Congress doesn't like.

I'm for Congress passing a good data privacy law that doesn't "seize" any private companies or ban any of them. I think that is the more consistent policy and doesn't empower the government and politicians to seize private companies they don't like which doesn't accomplish anything anyway.

Plus, it's probably not going to happen because the Senate doesn't seem like it's interested in passing it -for good reason.
Whether it will happen or not is a different question. I just think it a good idea and taking it from a foreign enemy government is completely different than from US citizens.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Whether it will happen or not is a different question. I just think it a good idea and taking it from a foreign enemy government is completely different than from US citizens.

You said earlier "seizing" companies had been done and justified it. A lot of those companies were American companies.

Tons of foreign countries own businesses in America - including China. There is business in the town where I live that China owns. They make commercial products.

Why is it completely different to seize a company from a foreign government if an American company's safety protocols are so poor China is getting the exact same data from them that they would if they owned it outright?

You seem to not care about the outcome or solving the issue - just the performative part of it.

and of course you support China seizing American companies they don't like and forcing them to sell to the Chinese government? That retaliation will occur quite quickly.

I wonder how you and Elon Musk will feel when China seizes the Tesla factory in Shanghai given it is wholly owned by Tesla.

It clearly makes no difference to you that seizing TikTok and forcing a sale to another company doesn't solve the problem.

But I get it. You've made it clear you support the federal government seizing companies they decide they don't like instead of fixing the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT