ADVERTISEMENT

New baseball stadium on old State hospital property

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
drove thru there yesterday....some serious excavation happening now....I had no idea that much work was going on already.....if those 200 acres are developed the way they're supposed to be, that area will be awesome....it'll be like a city within a city..

drove thru there yesterday....some serious excavation happening now....I had no idea that much work was going on already.....if those 200 acres are developed the way they're supposed to be, that area will be awesome....it'll be like a city within a city..
That project is just a money pit and will be a financial disaster for taxpayers.

Mayor Benjamin is a visionary. He sees the future in ways others cannot fathom.
Ha, ha! That's a good one.

Benjamin will bankrupt Columbia before he finishes his "vision".

Not one business has agreed to locate at that development. The only thing that will be there is a taxpayer funded stadium.

Reactions: nonipples
That area needs to be developed and it is in a great spot, just don't know that another minor league baseball team is the answer unless it is a Braves affiliate . A golf course would make more sense to me

That area needs to be developed and it is in a great spot, just don't know that another minor league baseball team is the answer unless it is a Braves affiliate . A golf course would make more sense to me
I think that land would have made a good retirement community.

As it looks now, that development is going to fail. They have claimed they have 40-60 businesses who are extremely anxious to open up at the development. They claimed they couldn't announce who they were until the baseball stadium was approved. Well, the stadium was approved about a year ago and they refuse to announce any of the 40-60 businesses. It is very likely because they don't exist.

Ha, ha! That's a good one.

Benjamin will bankrupt Columbia before he finishes his "vision".

Not one business has agreed to locate at that development. The only thing that will be there is a taxpayer funded stadium.

I'm sure you were one of the people that wanted to tear down the Palmetto Compress Warehouse that is now being redeveloped. It takes people with vision to be successful. You don't think the city/county should spend money on anything. You're much better suited to live in a county with no services, like Lexington.

I'm sure you were one of the people that wanted to tear down the Palmetto Compress Warehouse that is now being redeveloped. It takes people with vision to be successful. You don't think the city/county should spend money on anything. You're much better suited to live in a county with no services, like Lexington.
What vision did it take to re-purpose a dilapidated warehouse with no historic significance? That property was already going to be developed with a new structure anyway. The net result is basically the same other than it was delayed over a year by the games trying to save the meaningless warehouse.

I think government should spend money on basic needs like police, fire, EMS, water and sewer. The role of government is not to play investor with taxpayer dollars. We see how Air South worked out and we see how the Bull Street development is not panning out.

What services are Lexington County lacking? Please be specific.

What vision did it take to re-purpose a dilapidated warehouse with no historic significance? That property was already going to be developed with a new structure anyway. The net result is basically the same other than it was delayed over a year by the games trying to save the meaningless warehouse.

I think government should spend money on basic needs like police, fire, EMS, water and sewer. The role of government is not to play investor with taxpayer dollars. We see how Air South worked out and we see how the Bull Street development is not panning out.

What services are Lexington County lacking? Please be specific.

I hereby give you the award as the most negative person in South Carolina.

No trash pickup in many areas, little police and fire coverage in unincorporated areas.

I hereby give you the award as the most negative person in South Carolina.

No trash pickup in many areas, little police and fire coverage in unincorporated areas.
Nope! I am one of the most fiscally responsible people in South Carolina.

You have just made my point. I want tax dollars to be spent on police, fire and basic community needs rather than flashy ventures like airlines, minor league stadiums and farm league basketball stadiums that will likely lose money.

You are pretty much agreeing with me.

It's Columbia. If they would just copy Greenville, it would be awesome. Instead, they will screw it up somehow.
Columbia is not and never will be Greenville or Charleston. Greenville is a progressive business center and Charleston is a thriving tourist destination. Other than USC, state government and Fort Jackson, there is not much happening in Columbia.

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
It's Columbia. If they would just copy Greenville, it would be awesome. Instead, they will screw it up somehow.
Don't like Greenville at all. Like its little cousin Clemp, it acts as if it's as popular as Austin, TX, when in reality it's a little hick down in the heart of the Bible Belt. I don't live in SC but by far the best city there is Cola. It's the biggest city, and the seat of power, yet it's the least pretentious of the largest cities in the state. And, in about 5 years it'll be dramatically different for the better. With over 2 bil in development going on there now, Greenville, Chas and Spartanburg could only dream about something similar. Cola has got some real mojo going now.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Don't like Greenville at all. Like its little cousin Clemp, it acts as if it's as popular as Austin, TX, when in reality it's a little hick down in the heart of the Bible Belt. I don't live in SC but by far the best city there is Cola. It's the biggest city, and the seat of power, yet it's the least pretentious of the largest cities in the state. And, in about 5 years it'll be dramatically different for the better. With over 2 bil in development going on there now, Greenville, Chas and Spartanburg could only dream about something similar. Cola has got some real mojo going now.
BS

I had no problem with tearing down the Palmetto Compress warehouse. It is a dilapidated old cotton warehouse with no historic or meaningful value. What vision did it take to save this useless warehouse? It would have been better to have a modern building on that property.

Yes, I feel the city and county should spend taxpayer money on basic services rather than getting involved in business deals where they have no experience or expertise. Those deals should be handled by the private sect
Air South!!
The Bull Street development is comparable to the Air South fiasco.

Nope! I am one of the most fiscally responsible people in South Carolina.

You have just made my point. I want tax dollars to be spent on police, fire and basic community needs rather than flashy ventures like airlines, minor league stadiums and farm league basketball stadiums that will likely lose money.

You are pretty much agreeing with me.

No, because I realize that sometimes public investment can help jumpstart private investment.

conCOCKshun, are you being serious? Too early for my sarcasm meter to register properly.
Serious as a heart attack. Cola is the only true city in SC. Chas relies on the ocean and tourism. Greenville needs out of state biz dollars, Spartanburg, Anderson and Asheville to round out everything, including even its TV/radio market. I've always found Chas and Greenville to be unjustifiably arrogant. Cola does it all on its own. And, now it's got a little synergy and mojo working.

Just watch how ppl from Chas and Greeenville will talk down Cola in the next 5 years as development cranks along.

Reactions: IrmoRed
No, because I realize that sometimes public investment can help jumpstart private investment.
That is not the case here.

The original plan for the Bull Street development never included a baseball stadium. Then, all of a sudden it was determined the development would fail if the City of Columbia did not build a baseball stadium there.

This sure looks very fishy.

Serious as a heart attack. Cola is the only true city in SC. Chas relies on the ocean and tourism. Greenville needs out of state biz dollars, Spartanburg, Anderson and Asheville to round out everything, including even its TV/radio market. I've always found Chas and Greenville to be unjustifiably arrogant. Cola does it all on its own. And, now it's got a little synergy and mojo working.

Just watch how ppl from Chas and Greeenville will talk down Cola in the next 5 years as development cranks along.
LOL! Columbia has absolutely no reason to be arrogant. However, Columbia is famously hot.

Proud Democrat at that. The party of selfishness holds no appeal to me.

lol, i'm sure you are. The Party of Gratuitous Name-Calling And Generosity As Long As It's With Someone Else's Money is much more your speed.

Last edited:

Oh, how right you are, conCOCKshon re: Colatown's modesty AND it's current growth and commitment to its future. Columbia just keeps on truckin' while Greenville brags itself into a hazy stupor. Does Dablow have a second job as Mayor of Greenville?

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
If Cola had it his/her way, we'd probably have unpaved roads in Columbia. THE TAX PAYERS ARE

T A P P E D OUT!!!!
A
P
P
E
D

A stadium isnt adding any value to its surroundings. There are rescuable houses in that area. This wont help.

Columbia is not and never will be Greenville or Charleston. Greenville is a progressive business center and Charleston is a thriving tourist destination. Other than USC, state government and Fort Jackson, there is not much happening in Columbia.

I have lived in Columbia, Charleston and Greenville. Charleston's port, tourism and industry drives that city. If they can work out their traffic problems, that metro area will double in the next 7 years. It may be the fastest growing area in the Southeast as we speak. I am not a fan of Greenville. I love it's proximity to the mountains but I just didn't feel at home there. I am biased towards Columbia since I am a born and raised Columbian temporarily transplanted in Pawleys Island. As for the initial discussion about the old State Hospital property, I hope all that succeeds but that place gave me the creeps. It will be strange to see it transformed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT