ADVERTISEMENT

New FG Kicker?

jawdropper

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2003
Did I miss something?

First of all, thank you to Kent State for the last fours years... With that being said, I am ecstatic to announce my commitment to the University of South Carolina as a graduate transfer. Nonetheless, Forever a Flash; but for now, Forever to Thee. #SpursUp

Shane Hynes @hyner57

Shit yeah. We're poaching MAC bottom dwellers, baby!!

b86491a76c5008c5618a4b6e02e91923.jpg

Shit yeah. We're poaching MAC bottom dwellers, baby!!

b86491a76c5008c5618a4b6e02e91923.jpg
New on here. This typical for you? You have 22,000 posts. Is this how you get your kicks (no pun intended)? I mean you had to go Way Out Of Your Way for that killer dig.
Team signs some random kicker guy and you go with we are poaching Kent State type players now? Desperate much?
Hey King this guy with you? #welcometotheshortbus

Rod about to get banned again.

But kid was 9/15 last year with a long of 48? I’ll have a Newberry kicker as long as I’m not having angina every time we kick a field goal

http://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?yr=2017&conf=6&mode=K

Here how's it's done. The staff, to address the poor kicking production has sought another option. Follow? So we look at his stats. Hmmm, really not a big difference stat wise. Now there's a potential criticism, you might want to go with that.
Also, did we use a schollie on this guy? Especially for the 2018 class that is tight on spots already (you know, for those real players).
That's another good question. Hey this is fun.
Considering there is a highly rated HS kicker right there at Airport High School who we could get four years out of I certainly hope a scholarship isn't involved. How about you? Well unless the staff is the haha funny joke some seem to think they are, I'm guessing this is a no risk, bring a guy in for some competition option.
No?

New on here. This typical for you? You have 22,000 posts. Is this how you get your kicks (no pun intended)? I mean you had to go Way Out Of Your Way for that killer dig.
Team signs some random kicker guy and you go with we are poaching Kent State type players now? Desperate much?
Hey King this guy with you? #welcometotheshortbus

This is not how you address a legend.

So many folks on this board Moaned & Groaned, bitched & threw HISSY fits over our Field Goal woes. U can at least wait until he misses his first attempt BEFORE throwing him to the wolves!!! Give the guy a chance. Jeez.

Rod about to get banned again.

But kid was 9/15 last year with a long of 48? I’ll have a Newberry kicker as long as I’m not having angina every time we kick a field goal
If your angina flares every time we kick a field goal, you probably shouldn't be a Gamecock fan. :)

Last edited:
South Carolina has received a commitment from a graduate transfer at a position of need. Shane Hynes of Kent State will transfer to South Carolina for his final year of eligibility. Hynes was 9-of-15 this season for Kent State with a career long 48-yarder against Louisville.

Hynes received his “permission to contact” from Kent State midway through the 2017 season and reached out to South Carolina almost immediately.

“I heard that there was a little bit of trouble with field goals,” Hynes said. “I know Parker White did a phenomenal job with kickoffs. I thought I would reach out to Coach Hutzler and I maintained a relationship with him and Coach Muschamp. The Monday before Thanksgiving, I got a call from Coach Muschamp and he wanted me to come in and be their kicker. I knew right then exactly where I wanted to go.”

7_6885437.jpg

(Photo: Scout.com)

Hynes visited South Carolina earlier this week before announcing his decision on Twitter on Friday.

In 2016, Hynes made 15 of 22 kicks, including six from 40 yards or more. He was also 28-of-28 on extra point attempts last season. As a redshirt freshman, he was 7-for-11 making him 31-of-48 for his career. He is 55-of-57 for his career on extra points.

“I knew there was an opportunity at South Carolina,” Hynes said. “Parker, myself and Woz (Alexander Woznick) will all push each other to be the best that we can be.”

The connection to South Carolina came from an unlikely place. Hynes trains with Clemson commitment BT Potter as the two have the same kicking coach. The two have stayed in contact and it was Potter who let Hynes know South Carolina’s kickers were struggling to make their field goals.

“Me and BT are good friends,” Hynes said. “He’ll always say the score of this year’s game to me whenever I say something to him, but hopefully we turn that around. He’s a good kid with a bright future over there, but I look forward to beating him next year.”

The first time that Hynes, a Clarkston, Mich. native, was ever in the Palmetto State was earlier this year when his team faced Clemson. He was 1-for-1 in the game connecting from 37 yards out. He has family in Fort Bragg, N.C., but that’s as close of a connection to South Carolina as he has.

Penn State was the other primary school recruiting Hynes, but what attracted him to South Carolina is the same thing that brought him to Kent State four years ago.

“The reason I went to Kent was beyond the facilities and the football,” Hynes said. “It was the people at the University and the connections I made there, and that’s why I’m coming to South Carolina. It’s not the facilities or traditions, it’s the people at the University. The wins and losses fade but the relationships you build and connections you make, those are some things you carry for the rest of your life.”

What attracted South Carolina and special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler to Hynes is his ability to be clutch.

In five road games against Power 5 competition, Hynes was 5-for-8, which included 3-for-4 from 40-plus yards. The only miss was a 54-yarder against Penn State. One of his other misses was blocked at Illinois his freshman year. As a junior, he was 1-for-1 against Clemson and 1-for-1 with a career long 48-yard kick against Louisville.

“The thing the coaches at South Carolina told me they’re most impressed with is my ability to be clutch,” Hynes said. “I never missed in the fourth quarter at Kent. I hit a game winner, two kicks in overtime last year and a field goal to send us into overtime against Marshall a couple of years ago. I don’t let the big stage get to me. I’m a very confident person and I think they like that. I expect to make every kick and I expect the most out of myself.”

Hynes also made a pair of 40-plus yard attempts as a sophomore in overtime against North Carolina A&T. His freshman year, he made a field goal against Marshall late in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime. His game-winner came against Central Michigan from 35 yards out as time expired.

Hynes will graduate from Kent State next week but will take classes there in the spring. He will enroll at South Carolina in the summer as a walk-on with the plan to be placed on scholarship when classes begin in the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT