ADVERTISEMENT

New offer scouting report: WR Mazeo Bennett

W

Wes Mitchell

I'm going to start doing this quick scouting reports to give y'all some thoughts on background and new offers and if it's something y'all like, we'll try to keep doing it.

Today we start with...

Greenville (S.C.) class of 2024 WR Mazeo Bennett

** South Carolina offered Bennett on Saturday while he was in Columbia for the Troy game and it's a really smart early offer in my opinion for Justin Stepp and Co. Bennett already had an early offer from Coastal Carolina, so South Carolina is the first Power 5 offer here.

** I've had several people bragging to me about Bennett dating back to last year when he was only a freshman. The sense from people I talk to is that he's got a chance to be a national-level prospect and you can already start to see that on his film. Bennett is trained in the Upstate by Bobby McGowens, who I consider to be one of the premier receiver trainers in the southeast. When McGowens puts his stamp on you, it means something and he's high on Bennett.

** I first met Bennett in person over the summer. He's already mature for his age and is the type of kid who will come up to you, look you in the eyes, and introduce himself. That's pretty rare for a kid that age.

** Check the film below - this kid is a competitor. I sort of laughed when I saw that his first clips on his new highlights were of him blocking, until I saw him de-cleat a defender on the very first play. That willingness to block outside is not something you always see from a star receiver.

Those who watch him on a weekly basis tell me that he's an explosive playmaker who made big plays both at receiver and in the kickoff return game.

Watching the film below, he's excellent at going up and catching the football down the field as well. He's got speed and athleticism and a knack for getting over - honestly I'd take him if he looked like he does in this film as a senior - yet he's still got 2.5 years left of high school.

** There's no doubt in my mind that there are plenty more high Power 5 offers to come. We'll see how it plays out, but South Carolina getting in early certainly meant something to him and he really liked Stepp. Below is our article with quotes from Bennett.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News