ADVERTISEMENT

New study on CTE

Man, I love football, but I'll never let my son play it.

"every year someone plays tackle football, their risk of developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) rises by 30%."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/scar...ook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro
Wake up! Football concussions aren't different from any other. Can your son play soccer, hockey, basketball, box, fall out of bed or the shower? Why the focus on football? My only concussion came falling out of bed during vigorous sex. Not giving that up!

Reactions: Jpcooper
Wake up! Football concussions aren't different from any other. Can your son play soccer, hockey, basketball, box, fall out of bed or the shower? Why the focus on football? My only concussion came falling out of bed during vigorous sex. Not giving that up!

Surely you understand this is about the rate of concussions

Last edited:
Wake up! Football concussions aren't different from any other. Can your son play soccer, hockey, basketball, box, fall out of bed or the shower? Why the focus on football?

When I first heard of CTE, like many others, I scoffed at the report, probably because of who the Doctor was and how it was initially presented. I no longer hide from the facts.

Lawcalcock, certainly form your own opinion but, this is no longer a problem open to debate. It has been identified and accepted, even by the NFL, itself.

There is an interesting movie, with Will Smith, that does an excellent job explaining how and what happens, called 'Concussion'.

"Like pouring wet concrete down kitchen pipes".

Reactions: Carolina Choo Choo
When I first heard of CTE, like many others, I scoffed at the report, probably because of who the Doctor was and how it was initially presented. I no longer hide from the facts.

Lawcalcock, certainly form your own opinion but, this is no longer a problem open to debate. It has been identified and accepted, even by the NFL, itself.

There is an interesting movie, with Will Smith, that does an excellent job explaining how and what happens, called 'Concussion'.

"Like pouring wet concrete down kitchen pipes".

I initially dismissed the CTE stuff b/c I understood it was being exploited by those who have initiated a war on masculinity. Football has become a target and they hopped on the CTE train quick. However, there's just no way around the data. The human brain simply was not designed to absorb that kind of impact and there's no way around the anatomy. The best helmet design won't be able to overcome it. That said, I still love football and will continue to watch it every chance I get. Just won't let my son play it.

Oddly enough, outlawing helmets and shoulder pads might be the only way to save football.

I've heard and used that argument before, but I think they found the concussion rates in rugby are pretty similar to football.

There's a podcast called "Science Vs." that I like to listen to when I have to drive long distances. One of the episodes is Science Vs. Football. That podcast does a very good job of explaining CTE from a data perspective. I recommend finding it on your preferred streaming service when you have the chance.

Surely you understand this is about the rate of concussions
Yes. Surely you know some players go thru their career without a concussion. Hockey, boxing, soccer and basketball all have high concussion risks.

Yes. Surely you know some players go thru their career without a concussion. Hockey, boxing, soccer and basketball all have high concussion risks.

Well, sure. Just like some drug addicts never overdose and die. Just like some drunk drivers never have a wreck and kill anyone. Hockey does have a higher rate than football, but who plays hockey?

Well, sure. Just like some drug addicts never overdose and die. Just like some drunk drivers never have a wreck and kill anyone. Hockey does have a higher rate than football, but who plays hockey?
Lawd hayah muhcy!

It isn't just about concussions though. It's the repeated hits to the head that may not cause an actual concussion, that over the years still accumulate and cause damage.

I think your argument is in bad faith and you probably already know it is. Football is bad for the bodies of the people playing it.

It isn't just about concussions though. It's the repeated hits to the head that may not cause an actual concussion, that over the years still accumulate and cause damage.

I think your argument is in bad faith and you probably already know it is. Football is bad for the bodies of the people playing it.
nobody knows that. No one knows how many other factors contribute to cte. It won't be long before more truths become evident. The only brains being examined for it are football players. Thus it's caused by football. I'll bet right now there are cte sufferers that have never had a concussion. I would love to see all cases of depression related suicides, and memory lapses examined for cte. But there are financial drivers for that research.

Last edited:
By developing evermore sophisticated protection, football fostered ever increasing cranial contact as equipment became weaponized. Football is going to have to minimize the use of the head. For one thing, tackling used to involve wrapping up the ball carrier and not trying to knock him off his feet, which as our team demonstrates, doesn't work all that well anyway.

Reactions: vehemon
I'm not saying it's caused by football and football only. It's related to repeated blows to the head - which football involves a whole lot of. I would imagine you would see a lot of it in boxers, MMA fighters, hockey players, rugby players, etc. Boxing would almost certainly be the worst in terms of head trauma, and that's probably also why you don't see a bunch of people who came up in the middle class fighting against Canelo and GGG.

But the fact that other sports also involve head injuries doesn't excuse the risk associated with playing football. I still love watching football and played growing up, but I wouldn't want my kid to. They only get one brain, it just isn't worth the risk when they can go play baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, etc. and not have the same risk.

nobody knows that. No one knows how many other factors contribute to cte. It won't be long before more truths become evident. The only brains being examined for it are football players. Thus it's caused by football. I'll bet right now there are cte sufferers that have never had a concussion. I would love to see all cases of depression related suicides, and memory lapses examined for cte. But there are financial drivers for that research.

There are definitely politics involved, as I stated above.

However, it's simply undeniable that there's a connection b/w football and CTE. This is not to say other sports have no risk for CTE, but football is, by far, the most popular sport among those sports for which CTE is a real risk. Logically it receives the lion's share of attention..

A real factor may not be the sport itself, but the crazy advances that have been made in nutrition and sports science. Simply put, players are HUMONGOUS compared to 50 years ago. A couple informative links:

https://noahveltman.com/nflplayers/

kpnutgvml0aqk7te64sk.png

pjofxssv1mqchum6itbi.png

Players have simply exploded in size. They are substantially heavier, stronger and faster, all of which generates greater force.

There are definitely politics involved, as I stated above.

However, it's simply undeniable that there's a connection b/w football and CTE. This is not to say other sports have no risk for CTE, but football is, by far, the most popular sport among those sports for which CTE is a real risk. Logically it receives the lion's share of attention..

A real factor may not be the sport itself, but the crazy advances that have been made in nutrition and sports science. Simply put, players are HUMONGOUS compared to 50 years ago. A couple informative links:

https://noahveltman.com/nflplayers/

kpnutgvml0aqk7te64sk.png

pjofxssv1mqchum6itbi.png

Players have simply exploded in size. They are substantially heavier, stronger and faster, all of which generates greater force.
This aspect should be easy to address. Change the physical development protocols which led to this.

This aspect should be easy to address. Change the physical development protocols which led to this.

I don't really know how you do that. Nobody wants to be smaller, weaker or slower. If you look back to the 20s and 30s, there really wasn't that much difference between the size of a quarterback and a lineman. I don't know if the game evolved as players got larger or players got larger because the game evolved.

Maybe the NFL could implement weight limits for positions. That would only partially address this though as a significant factor also involves speed and muscle mass.

The simple reality is that what we all love to watch as football is the very cause of the problem. We all love the big hit and to see someone get laid out. You couldn't sell 50 tickets to a 1930's style football game.

I don't really know how you do that. Nobody wants to be smaller, weaker or slower. If you look back to the 20s and 30s, there really wasn't that much difference between the size of a quarterback and a lineman. I don't know if the game evolved as players got larger or players got larger because the game evolved.

Maybe the NFL could implement weight limits for positions. That would only partially address this though as a significant factor also involves speed and muscle mass.

The simple reality is that what we all love to watch as football is the very cause of the problem. We all love the big hit and to see someone get laid out. You couldn't sell 50 tickets to a 1930's style football game.
Emphasize true conditioning instead of adding body mass and you will address that aspect of the problem. We all know that many of the biggest football players aren't in really good shape. And strong people need not be over-sized.

Another thing, since helmets are going to be part of the equipment, make them padded on the outside to absorb impact better. And make all deliberate contact initiated with the head - not simply head-to-head contact - to be against the rules.

Emphasize true conditioning instead of adding body mass and you will address that aspect of the problem. We all know that many of the biggest football players aren't in really good shape. And strong people need not be over-sized.

Another thing, since helmets are going to be part of the equipment, make them padded on the outside to absorb impact better. And make all deliberate contact initiated with the head - not simply head-to-head contact - to be against the rules.

I think that could work but it would have to start in JV/high school football and trickle up to the NFL.

Another issue is just what we expect from football. It's kind of like the subplot from the Jurassic Park movies. People's desire to see bigger and more ferocious dinosaurs led them create something uncontrollable. We all LOVE to see someone get absolutely leveled (DJ Swearinger style). Obviously, it's just visually impressive and stokes and the defense, but it also increases the possibility of a turnover You would have to completely change how people tackle, but I don't know how you even begin to regulate that. Instead of hitting, you'd just have to wrap up and pull the guy down. I think the targeting rules help with that somewhat in that they've banned launching.

I think that could work but it would have to start in JV/high school football and trickle up to the NFL.

Another issue is just what we expect from football. It's kind of like the subplot from the Jurassic Park movies. People's desire to see bigger and more ferocious dinosaurs led them create something uncontrollable. We all LOVE to see someone get absolutely leveled (DJ Swearinger style). Obviously, it's just visually impressive and stokes and the defense, but it also increases the possibility of a turnover You would have to completely change how people tackle, but I don't know how you even begin to regulate that. Instead of hitting, you'd just have to wrap up and pull the guy down. I think the targeting rules help with that somewhat in that they've banned launching.
Football was just as exciting for me when I saw my first college game in 1965 as it is today. The game and the competition surrounding it, and the partisanship engendered by it - those are the essence of football.

Football players are much more likely to suffer multiple concussions than nearly anyone else. Burying your head in the sand won't change that fact.

No reasonable person would want to be in any situation that put him or her in a much higher chance of a concussion.

This denial reminds me a lot of the denial years ago about the harm from cigarette smoking. Look how that ended up.

The following:

The researchers studied 266 deceased former amateur and professional football players, and unlike previous studies, included dozens of brains of former football players who had not suffered CTE, allowing a basis for comparison.

is not a scientific way to determine a 30% per year increase likelihood. It might show a lot about CTE formation and the like, but using "dozens" of not CTE as your basic control group does not help say anything about percentages of CTE in the reest of the cuntry.

I initially dismissed the CTE stuff b/c I understood it was being exploited by those who have initiated a war on masculinity. Football has become a target and they hopped on the CTE train quick. However, there's just no way around the data. The human brain simply was not designed to absorb that kind of impact and there's no way around the anatomy. The best helmet design won't be able to overcome it. That said, I still love football and will continue to watch it every chance I get. Just won't let my son play it.

War on masculinity? Must have missed that one...LOL.

Does no one here understand the story of our starting quarterback's brother?

College qbs almost never commit suicide. Can you name three more? Yet there are easily thousands of scholarship college qbs in the last decade. If you get a sample of thousands of reguar college students, I bet you get a lot more than several dozen in that sample. In 2006, they said 11,000 college students committed suicide in the US. If you are equating CTE with suicide, college qbs like his brother would show the opposite, it being a rarity for college qbs. The problem is CTE and suicide are two completely different subjects. The lack of suicides doesn't prove anything about increasing or decreasing the possibility of future CTE.

College qbs almost never commit suicide. Can you name three more? Yet there are easily thousands of scholarship college qbs in the last decade. If you get a sample of thousands of reguar college students, I bet you get a lot more than several dozen in that sample. In 2006, they said 11,000 college students committed suicide in the US. If you are equating CTE with suicide, college qbs like his brother would show the opposite, it being a rarity for college qbs. The problem is CTE and suicide are two completely different subjects. The lack of suicides doesn't prove anything about increasing or decreasing the possibility of future CTE.

He was found to have CTE; I didn't make the connection between CTE and suicide, professionals did. Concussions occur amongst many positions, not just quarterbacks.

Does no one here understand the story of our starting quarterback's brother?
This is a good question. I read it takes ten years or so for CTE symptoms to manifest. Did he take a big hit in youth league? 21 seems awfully young to be diagnosed with CTE but apparently it's possible.

He was found to have CTE; I didn't make the connection between CTE and suicide, professionals did. Concussions occur amongst many positions, not just quarterbacks.

There is still a tiny number of qbs committing suicide, and the body of college students at large have a significant problem with it. By the numbers it would look like being a qb protects you from suicide. I don't think anyone can use the unusual suicide of a qb to be a reason not to play football. Just going to college, with regard to suicide, seems every bit as dangerous or more than playing qb there. Now maybe playing football causes you to have CTE when older, but that can't be shown by suicides in college.

Junior Seau, Chris Benoit, Aaron Hernandez, Ray Easterling, Larry Johnson.

All experienced repeated head trauma, all committed suicide, all had cases of CTE confirmed after their death. The Benoit and Hernandez cases speak for themselves. Head trauma is a dangerous thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT