ADVERTISEMENT

New TV question

Spur Crazy

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2006
Has anyone purchased a new tv recently? It's been 7 yrs since I bought one. I'm looking to upgrade to a 55" tv before the season starts. Been reading up on the latest technology. Every where I read it's suggesting native (true) 120 hz refresh rate for sports.

Does anyone have a 4K/UHD television (which seems to be the only thing on the market now) and that has a 60 hz refresh rate? Apparently if you don't have the 120 hz, you'll see/notice the the trail of the ball like in basketball or tennis. If you have a 4K/UHD television and 60 hz can you tell me if you have any issues with the picture while watching sports or other things with fast motion?
Trying to avoid paying several extra hundred dollars if the 60 hz will be fine.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have an LG 4k 55 inch and it says 120 hz trumotion. I have it over 3 years and no problems with picture or function. For sports I think you need a 120 hz. I stream with YouTube and can't tell the difference. You should be able to get one for around $400 or so. There are new technologies that give you OLed or Qled with sharper pictures with a big increase in price and some have a 240 hz refresh rate. Good luck in your quest and I hope that helps.

Reactions: Spur Crazy
Walmart had a TLC smart Roku 65" with 120hz refresh rate for $478. Don't know you can by a 65 much cheaper than that

Walmart had a TLC smart Roku 65" with 120hz refresh rate for $478. Don't know you can by a 65 much cheaper than that

No!!! I bought one and returned it, picture was just cheap looking. I ended up with a 65" LG that Im pretty happy with, although if I had to do it over I may have gone with the Samsung.
I also have a 55" Toshiba Fire TV that I really like as well.

No!!! I bought one and returned it, picture was just cheap looking. I ended up with a 65" LG that Im pretty happy with, although if I had to do it over I may have gone with the Samsung.
I also have a 55" Toshiba Fire TV that I really like as well.

Do you have trouble streaming movies on your firetv?

All the manufacturers are claiming 120 and 240 refresh rates but if you look at it they are using there own terminology like Clear Motion 120 or TruMotion 120 but I’ve read you have to see what the true as they call it ‘native’ refresh rate is to see what you’re really getting.
Sounds like people have the native 60hz and are doing fine. (A 4K UHD tv with a native 120hz will be upwards of $700 to $800 at least.)

In this order based on true video & color performance.
1.) Sony Z9 LED
2.) Sony 4k (850 series or above)
3.) Sony A9 OLED (better video processor than Samsung or LG)
4.) LG OLED
5.) Samsung Qled 8K & 4K
6.) Samung Led
7.) LG SUHD LED
......others.......

Reactions: Spur Crazy
Has anyone purchased a new tv recently? It's been 7 yrs since I bought one. I'm looking to upgrade to a 55" tv before the season starts. Been reading up on the latest technology. Every where I read it's suggesting native (true) 120 hz refresh rate for sports.

Does anyone have a 4K/UHD television (which seems to be the only thing on the market now) and that has a 60 hz refresh rate? Apparently if you don't have the 120 hz, you'll see/notice the the trail of the ball like in basketball or tennis. If you have a 4K/UHD television and 60 hz can you tell me if you have any issues with the picture while watching sports or other things with fast motion?
Trying to avoid paying several extra hundred dollars if the 60 hz will be fine.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Just saw a Samsung TV at Best buy 55 in 4k with a 120 hz for $380. It might be last year model but still sounds good.

Bought a Samsung 55 inch smart TV etc a couple months ago with more bells and whistles than the 52 inch Samsung we bought several years ago when LED technology first came out, and for about $1,500 less. Amazing how much less expensive things are now.

Edit: Mine's a 4,000K UHD -- whatever that means. Some channels are 4K but most aren't. Even the ones that aren't look better than they would on a 10 inch with rabbit ears. Sports is great on this thing.

Last edited:
In this order based on true video & color performance.
1.) Sony Z9 LED
2.) Sony 4k (850 series or above)
3.) Sony A9 OLED (better video processor than Samsung or LG)
4.) LG OLED
5.) Samsung Qled 8K & 4K
6.) Samung Led
7.) LG SUHD LED
......others.......

Where do you get your ratings from?

All the manufacturers are claiming 120 and 240 refresh rates but if you look at it they are using there own terminology like Clear Motion 120 or TruMotion 120 but I’ve read you have to see what the true as they call it ‘native’ refresh rate is to see what you’re really getting.
Sounds like people have the native 60hz and are doing fine. (A 4K UHD tv with a native 120hz will be upwards of $700 to $800 at least.)
Things like TruMotion, smooth motion, or whatever are software features that “translate” between frames of lower refresh rate signals to offer a pseudo-higher refresh rate. They generally will display higher refresh rate signals if they get them though. My LG OLED has 240 Hz refresh rate, which it will do with a broadcast at that rate. I turn off the trumotion stuff.

I went with the LG OLED C8, probably overkill since we don't watch much 4k stuff, but it has a fantastic picture with no issues what so ever, I'm pretty happy with it. I usually go with the best technology available for the simple fact it's going to be surpassed in the next year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT