ADVERTISEMENT

Next year will be a good test on recruiting

Scuba_do

Sep 8, 2010
Richmond, Va
How much of a recruiters success is due to the school they're recruiting for. It appears that I could recruit 4 and 5 star athletes if I was a coach at Alabama, Ole MIss, Ga., LSU, Fla. St., .......

I hope our coaches prove me wrong, but I don't think it will be easy getting star players to turn their backs on the likes of teams mentioned above.

Reactions: tiger-chuck
Cut off NCAA football, its not the same as your Xbox. Lol.

Really depends on many factors. I don't think its as cut and dry as "this coach" or "that school". But there are obviously points for both of those examples.

The recruiters are in place. Just about every guy on staff has been a top rated recruiter by national media. You'll see a strong finish to this class(top 20). Strong class next year(top 15). 3rd class will depend on results of first 2 seasons and depth chart at that time.

Ole Miss just came on to the radar. They brought 3 or 4 Five Star recruits a few years ago under Freeze and that directly impacted their wins.

A lot of people were wondering how Ole Miss got commitments from those types of players that year. Get one elite recruiting class and things get a lot easier from there.

How much of a recruiters success is due to the school they're recruiting for. It appears that I could recruit 4 and 5 star athletes if I was a coach at Alabama, Ole MIss, Ga., LSU, Fla. St., .......

I hope our coaches prove me wrong, but I don't think it will be easy getting star players to turn their backs on the likes of teams mentioned above.

Ol' Miss?
That one seemed odd in the list of schools you mentioned.

Ole Miss just came on to the radar. They brought 3 or 4 Five Star recruits a few years ago under Freeze and that directly impacted their wins.

"They bought 3 or 4 Five Star recruits a few years ago under Freeze"

I dont know if that is the case but I know they have really started recruiting better

Reactions: YH
Our recruiting will be determined by one thing and one thing only, money. If Ray spends it on recruiting budget, they will come.

I love ray, but will can't do it alone. Ray is the ad, and needs to be pushed. Again, no reason or excuses. Usc has the money

Muschamp has said as much in recent interviews. It is easy to recruit with certain names on your shirt. Walk in any HS in Texas with the Horns on, it is not like walking into Tampa with a Gamecock for sure. We will see what kind of recruiters they really are. This is why I think UGA steps back a bit, I think that Kirby does not know what to do without the best HS player at every position. This is why Spurrier jabbed Saban about winning at Bama and not doing it at a place like South Carolina. Right now, any coach trying to get a kid to Carolina is selling smoke because nobody knows what Muschamp can do with them yet. If he has success on the field, it gets a lot easier. It is a shame Spurrier gave up so much momentum in this regard. Really missed out on the golden years of recruiting with lack of effort when the Cocks were top 5. It is not easy to get that high and when you drop the ball the way Spurrier did, impossible to stay there.

Basically, you have to have a few recruiting success, hit on a QB (check), a few difference makers in defense etc.... until you start winning regularly and get some name recognition back. Until then, you have to get kids to buy the hype. This is why he is recruiting some kids that may or may not get into school, because it helps to build momentum. Same reason it took a couple to commit after he was hired before the majority would jump on.

Muschamp has said as much in recent interviews. It is easy to recruit with certain names on your shirt. Walk in any HS in Texas with the Horns on, it is not like walking into Tampa with a Gamecock for sure. We will see what kind of recruiters they really are. This is why I think UGA steps back a bit, I think that Kirby does not know what to do without the best HS player at every position. This is why Spurrier jabbed Saban about winning at Bama and not doing it at a place like South Carolina. Right now, any coach trying to get a kid to Carolina is selling smoke because nobody knows what Muschamp can do with them yet. If he has success on the field, it gets a lot easier. It is a shame Spurrier gave up so much momentum in this regard. Really missed out on the golden years of recruiting with lack of effort when the Cocks were top 5. It is not easy to get that high and when you drop the ball the way Spurrier did, impossible to stay there.

Basically, you have to have a few recruiting success, hit on a QB (check), a few difference makers in defense etc.... until you start winning regularly and get some name recognition back. Until then, you have to get kids to buy the hype. This is why he is recruiting some kids that may or may not get into school, because it helps to build momentum. Same reason it took a couple to commit after he was hired before the majority would jump on.

You are very wrong about UGA's recruiting dropping next year. The top defensive recruiter on staff was kept, Bmac hadn't done much this year, he wasn't in the top 200 recruiters nationally as far as getting committments, was 4th on our staff. I don't know much about Beamer, he is probably about the same as Lilly, Coley is excellent. Tucker isn't great, but the new LB coach is, and Kirby recruited half of Bama's team. We will recruit at a higher level next year than this one. Since the new staff has arrived, we have had a 5* and 4* commit for 16 and 2 4* for 16, and that was with only half a staff for much of the time, Kirby has only been in Athens a week.

You are very wrong about UGA's recruiting dropping next year. The top defensive recruiter on staff was kept, Bmac hadn't done much this year, he wasn't in the top 200 recruiters nationally as far as getting committments, was 4th on our staff. I don't know much about Beamer, he is probably about the same as Lilly, Coley is excellent. Tucker isn't great, but the new LB coach is, and Kirby recruited half of Bama's team. We will recruit at a higher level next year than this one. Since the new staff has arrived, we have had a 5* and 4* commit for 16 and 2 4* for 16, and that was with only half a staff for much of the time, Kirby has only been in Athens a week.

The dogs recruiting will be determined next year on the field. The left over effects of the last coaches have driven this class, a lot like USC

If the Spurrier staff had an average recruiting ranking of 18th over the past decade plus, can you imagine what kind of recruiting classes that Muschamp and company will bring in with all the elite recruiters on board, the beefed up recruiting staff/office and a significantly larger recruiting budget? I'm giddy just thinking about the possibilities.

Reactions: Scuba_do

Of course BMac was no good. Why am I not surprised you said that

Reactions: DirtyCock99
If we can get a 5 star next year we can build up some momentum and who knows what can happen. I think Boom can do it.

Of course BMac was no good. Why am I not surprised you said that

He has gotten some good guys in the past, no doubt about it, But he hadn't done much in the 16 class, that's why his rating in the 16 class is so low. He is a good recruiter, he got Gurley, Marshall and Michel, Chubb was coming to UGA unless someone told him he wouldn't be allowed in Athens. But after those guys, and there are some good ones on that list he hasn't done much. He hasn't gotten a single commit from a highly rated WR, I think he would have been a great RB hire for you, but average WR coach, our new one who has been there less than 3 weeks has gotten more 4* WR to commit than Bmac did his entire time there

The dogs recruiting will be determined next year on the field. The left over effects of the last coaches have driven this class, a lot like USC

If we win 4-5 games you are right, we win 8+ we will have top 5, ,maybe higher, will be a couple more commit for 17 commit around signing day, both highly rated, couple of 4*, one was a 5* orginally when the 17 rankings came out. Georgia guys who want to play at UGA, will be a good start to the class. Richt created a complacent enviroment at the program, don't cause waves win 8-10 games a year and rock alone, until he pulled that stunt he did in the Florida game this year by starting our 3rd string qb which got him fired. He was that way with his recruiting, didn't push for visits, didn't push for committments, if they committed ok, if they didn't ok, This staff isn't like that, we may not win 4 games, but it won't be a complacent staff who lets things ride. The last 2 years, we had kids wanting to official the last weekend before signing day and Richt told him we were done, we played one season with 67 scholarshipped players with 3 of them kickers and 2 of them long snappers because we undersigned every year. Whatever happens, the new staff will recruit better because they want to do it.

I don't know, I think for every kid that wants to play for the best, there is a kid that wants to beat the best.

Good point. And remember Muschamp built his reputation as a recruiter at Texas, Florida and Auburn. Those places are not hard sells. Carolina will definitely be a challenge for him. He has to form relationships with local high school coaches and players which will take time. I look for definite improvement in your 2018 class.

The group of recruiters we now have on staff are not beginning their first rodeo. The experienced and proven recruiters we now have on staff, will make a big impact in the 2017 class. The Ole Miss football program had been dormant for DECADES. In his first full recruiting cycle (2nd recruiting class) at Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze pulled in a unanimous Top 10 class, ranked as high as number 5 by one recruiting service. And Freeze did not have the experience and southeastern contacts and relationships that Will Muschamp has. Freeze had 2 years of experience at a Power 5 conference school. Muschamp has 13 years of such experience. Like I said: Expect to see a big recruiting impact in the 2017 class.

The group of recruiters we now have on staff are not beginning their first rodeo. The experienced and proven recruiters we now have on staff, will make a big impact in the 2017 class. The Ole Miss football program had been dormant for DECADES. In his first full recruiting cycle (2nd recruiting class) at Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze pulled in a unanimous Top 10 class, ranked as high as number 5 by one recruiting service. And Freeze did not have the experience and southeastern contacts and relationships that Will Muschamp has. Freeze had 2 years of experience at a Power 5 conference school. Muschamp has 13 years of such experience. Like I said: Expect to see a big recruiting impact in the 2017 class.

To add to what I said above: In Hugh Freeze's first recruiting class, it was ranked as follows:
Rivals...40
Scout....58

Thus far, Muschamp's first class at South Carolina is ranked:
Rivals....33
Scout.....41
All rank Muschamp's first SC class higher than Freeze's first Ole Miss class. And Muschamp has not completed his first SC class. Be prepared to be amazed at Will Muschamp's 2017 South Carolina recruiting class. Enjoy the ride.

He has gotten some good guys in the past, no doubt about it, But he hadn't done much in the 16 class, that's why his rating in the 16 class is so low. He is a good recruiter, he got Gurley, Marshall and Michel, Chubb was coming to UGA unless someone told him he wouldn't be allowed in Athens. But after those guys, and there are some good ones on that list he hasn't done much. He hasn't gotten a single commit from a highly rated WR, I think he would have been a great RB hire for you, but average WR coach, our new one who has been there less than 3 weeks has gotten more 4* WR to commit than Bmac did his entire time there.
So y'all use the position coach to recruit the position? Never heard of that before. Would've thought each coach had a region they recruited and recruited all players in that region regardless of position. Perhaps it was some of your other recruiters not getting the job done at recruiting receivers, especially since BMac was only coaching that position during his last year IIRC.

To add to what I said above: In Hugh Freeze's first recruiting class, it was ranked as follows:
Rivals...40
Scout....58

Thus far, Muschamp's first class at South Carolina is ranked:
Rivals....33
Scout.....41
All rank Muschamp's first SC class higher than Freeze's first Ole Miss class. And Muschamp has not completed his first SC class. Be prepared to be amazed at Will Muschamp's 2017 South Carolina recruiting class. Enjoy the ride.
Excellent facts, there. If Hugh Freeze can bring a Top 5 - 10 recruiting class so quickly to Mississippi, I know that Will Muschamp can do so at South Carolina.

Ole Miss paid that $$$ is the reason they got Treadwell, Robert Kimdeeecheeeee and Tunsil.....everyone knows this.

Time will tell if Ole Miss is convicted of recruiting violations under Hugh Freeze's watch.

Will Muschamp is one of the elite recruiters in the nation. And he has elite recruiters, recognized as such (McClendon, Robinson and Thompson), on staff.........and I KNOW everyone knows this.

Ole Miss paid that $$$ is the reason they got Treadwell, Robert Kimdeeecheeeee and Tunsil.....everyone knows this.

ESPN ranks our recruiting class currently at 28. And that's with the anchor of having to wait 10 months after the start of this current recruiting cycle. Like I said above, prepare to be amazed by the recruiting of Muschamp and company in the 2017 recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT