ADVERTISEMENT

Nice read on Bobo

JDishnell

Oct 23, 2019
It remains to be seen what he can do here, but he at least seems to understand what it takes to win in college football these days:

“You look at this league, you’ve got to score points,” Bobo said. “The top two teams last year it was 48 and 47 points. Now they’ve got two top five picks at quarterback potentially. They were very, very good and the receiving corps, outstanding football teams. The days of 17-10 ball are over. We’ve got to score points offensively and give us a chance to win.”

The bolded text in particular stood out to me. No matter what Champ says, he still plays the game like it's the days of 17-10.

https://www.onlineathens.com/sports...roots-in-sec-as-coordinator-at-south-carolina

That was a good read indeed! I'm really beginning to like Bobo. I hope he's wildly successful here - He certainly has the experience to be. He has some pieces on the offensive side of the ball to be. Here's hoping we get a few breaks this season and have a great year!

Reactions: Gradstudent
That was a good read indeed! I'm really beginning to like Bobo. I hope he's wildly successful here - He certainly has the experience to be. He has some pieces on the offensive side of the ball to be. Here's hoping we get a few breaks this season and have a great year!

Champ is just a defensive guy to the core and can't stop thinking like a defensive player from the 90s.

If he can really let go and let Bobo, we could be in good shape.

I liked this one, too. If he played and coached for the Dawgs, he'll also always be a Dawg; but I gotta say I like the man for refusing to wear or let his wear Georgia stuff during his time as a Gamecock. Dude knows how it is!

“I can’t sit here and say it’s not going to be different because it is a school that I played for and I coached for,” Bobo said. “There’ll be some nostalgia there, probably not as much as if it was at Sanford Stadium, but at the end of the day I’m a South Carolina guy now. I might have to have a talk with my kids that, hey, we’re all Gamecocks now. No more Georgia stuff. I think they got rid of all of it. They used to wear the Georgia stuff at Colorado, especially my son Jake. When I took the job here, they got rid of the Georgia stuff. I don’t know. Kirby might send him some more stuff. I’ll just tell Jake he can’t wear it.”

Reactions: nikolas22
If Muschamp can leave him alone then I think Bobo will be a very good addition. This is the only thing that concerns me about the article:

"He and I coach a lot alike. He’s liked minded as far as those things are concerned. I think that’s always important as a coach to be philosophically aligned with people on your staff.”

We shall see.....

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
If Muschamp can leave him alone then I think Bobo will be a very good addition. This is the only thing that concerns me about the article:

"He and I coach a lot alike. He’s liked minded as far as those things are concerned. I think that’s always important as a coach to be philosophically aligned with people on your staff.”

We shall see.....
no matter how much yall wanna believe that to be the case, champ aint stupid enough to not understand that he has to score points, and a lot of them..now it hasnt worked out so far but its not for the reaon yall wanna believe..guaranteed

no matter how much yall wanna believe that to be the case, champ aint stupid enough to not understand that he has to score points, and a lot of them..now it hasnt worked out so far but its not for the reaon yall wanna believe..guaranteed

I don't doubt that Champ understands it. It just hasn't been reflected in our play calling. Muschamp is, at his core, a 90s defensive guy. There's a lot of great aspects of that, but it's not good when it overrides your offensive philosophy.

Reactions: uscedge21

We shall see.....

I'm hopeful that since Champ has a very long and established friendship with Bobo that he'll be less likely to interfere with the offense.

The thing with these guys when they “embrace” new ideas, they don’t fully grasp what’s required to be successful with the rosters they have. Muschamp understood the concepts about playing quickly, not substituting, being flexible with your tight ends and running backs, to confuse the defense by having them be blockers, runners or receivers. From that, he embraced a lot of inside runs, draws and a quick passing game, with four receivers in patterns, with a lot of sub 10 yard out routes, hitches and RPO slants. This puts too much in the middle of the field and requires an accurate QB and precise route running.

Meanwhile, other OCs began embracing more mass pass protect, with combo drag routes and deep post receiver options. They run RPOs off outside run concepts that move linebackers. More toss sweeps, more off tackle runs.

Reactions: JDishnell
I liked this one, too. If he played and coached for the Dawgs, he'll also always be a Dawg; but I gotta say I like the man for refusing to wear or let his wear Georgia stuff during his time as a Gamecock. Dude knows how it is!

“I can’t sit here and say it’s not going to be different because it is a school that I played for and I coached for,” Bobo said. “There’ll be some nostalgia there, probably not as much as if it was at Sanford Stadium, but at the end of the day I’m a South Carolina guy now. I might have to have a talk with my kids that, hey, we’re all Gamecocks now. No more Georgia stuff. I think they got rid of all of it. They used to wear the Georgia stuff at Colorado, especially my son Jake. When I took the job here, they got rid of the Georgia stuff. I don’t know. Kirby might send him some more stuff. I’ll just tell Jake he can’t wear it.”
What's Muschamps son wearing lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT