ADVERTISEMENT

No Bryce Thompson? What in the world happened??

Off the field stuff. I’ve seen that it’s not completely over tho.

I hope he makes it in. One way to ensure entrance is to do the grunt academics required beginning at hs entrance. All athletes have what is required of them drilled into their brains. Some don't heed the call and as a result don't have the grades and/or test scores required. Rod don't get pissed off at our University for having academic standards. As a matter of fact, a lot of the requirements for admission are dictated by the NCAA. You don't meet'em you don't get in. Hope this terrific athlete makes it.

I hope he makes it in. One way to ensure entrance is to do the grunt academics required beginning at hs entrance. All athletes have what is required of them drilled into their brains. Some don't heed the call and as a result don't have the grades and/or test scores required. Rod don't get pissed off at our University for having academic standards. As a matter of fact, a lot of the requirements for admission are dictated by the NCAA. You don't meet'em you don't get in. Hope this terrific athlete makes it.
The only problem with this is we have conference rivals like ut offering him a scholarship. If, as someone mentioned, it was due to off field issues the coaching staff didn't want to take a chance on, then fine.

But if we don't admit him because we want to pretend like we're Harvard, then we just sent a loud and clear message that we are not serious about winning long term. And we'll have an annual reminder of it if and when he suits up for ut.

Remember, we almost lost Spurrier due to this type of situation before he hit his stride and set records here.

The only problem with this is we have conference rivals like ut offering him a scholarship. If, as someone mentioned, it was due to off field issues the coaching staff didn't want to take a chance on, then fine.

But if we don't admit him because we want to pretend like we're Harvard, then we just sent a loud and clear message that we are not serious about winning long term. And we'll have an annual reminder of it if and when he suits up for ut.

Remember, we almost lost Spurrier due to this type of situation before he hit his stride and set records here.
I may be wrong but I believe I've read reports that ucheat has the same problem we do. They can't admit him either. They can offer but can't admit. Maybe I'm wrong on this. If so, give the assurance they can admit and we can't.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I'm reading that Marshall is his best option. That to me indicates he can't get in at any P5. But he says the door is not completely closed.

This is pretty interesting because now I'm hearing that it's not academics at all but something else. Of course it's all just rumors and I have nothing to substantiate but it's interesting.

I wonder if the staff was doing due diligence on this kid's academic situation before offering. With that said they may have forewarned him and he may have simply ignored them or believed he would get in regardless.

As for Marshall, since their acceptance rate is 88% that may be his best option

As many have said, the kid's a big Gamecock fan and has been wearing Carolina gear for a while. So at this point, it's best for us to sit back and still hope he makes his way here sometime in the future. We've had a bunch of playmaker WRs from SC and it'd be great to see him become another one

I'm reading that Marshall is his best option. That to me indicates he can't get in at any P5. But he says the door is not completely closed.

There are several non P5 public schools that have higher academic qualifications than P5 schools. (although Marshall is certainly not one of them)
You're doing a disservice to some smaller schools.

A lot of pseudo-facts get tossed around any time one of these admissions things comes up but the fact is, college admissions is always case by case and it's always private. So there's not really a lot that can be definitively said. No point getting bent out of shape about someone getting in/not getting in unless you're privy to their transcript, test scores, and all the other information that is taken into account

I wonder if the staff was doing due diligence on this kid's academic situation before offering. With that said they may have forewarned him and he may have simply ignored them or believed he would get in regardless.

Obviously the did, as they wouldn't accept his LOI.

Really? Which ones did I disparage?

Furman? Liberty.

Uh, yeah. That's why they never offered him an LOI.

Really? Which ones did I disparage?

I'm not trying to argue the issue, just pointing out that there are non P5 schools that can have higher admission standards than some P5 schools.

Just off the top of my head there is App St and Tulane.
I'm sure someone on the board if so inclined could come up with a comprehensive list of others

I'm not trying to argue the issue, just pointing out that there are non P5 schools that can have higher admission standards than some P5 schools.

Just off the top of my head there is App St and Tulane.
I'm sure someone on the board if so inclined could come up with a comprehensive list of others
I did not say anything about other schools, except Marshall. I did say he can't get into a Power 5. Given that Miss St is a P5, that says a lot. Oops! I did say something about another school. I know there are many prestigious institutions with higher standards.

So what's the deal with Marshall? Does one just need a pulse to get in there or what?!
A lot of pseudo-facts get tossed around any time one of these admissions things comes up but the fact is, college admissions is always case by case and it's always private. So there's not really a lot that can be definitively said. No point getting bent out of shape about someone getting in/not getting in unless you're privy to their transcript, test scores, and all the other information that is taken into account

Reactions: Athenscock1
It's not hard to get into Liberty. sgacock should have named a few other of the smaller Va. schools.

Liberty's average SAT is the same as several SEC schools and about 20% higher than Marshall. I could have said Harvard or any of the hundreds of colleges that aren't P-5s - but Harvard does give schollies in Football. Marshall uses the minimum NCAA standards .Most P-5s require more, but not sure about WestVirginia. It's admission is wide open as a school, but the Big 12 probably has requirements they must meet that are higher than NCAA minimums.

Liberty's average SAT is the same as several SEC schools and about 20% higher than Marshall. I could have said Harvard or any of the hundreds of colleges that aren't P-5s - but Harvard does give schollies in Football. Marshall uses the minimum NCAA standards .Most P-5s require more, but not sure about WestVirginia. It's admission is wide open as a school, but the Big 12 probably has requirements they must meet that are higher than NCAA minimums.
No Ivy League school provides athletic scholarships for any program. They will only provide need based scholarships if you qualify academically with every other student.

I don't care what Liberty "reports" as it's average SAT score, I know it's very easy to get into.

Reactions: okccock
No Ivy League school provides athletic scholarships for any program. They will only provide need based scholarships if you qualify academically with every other student.

I don't care what Liberty "reports" as it's average SAT score, I know it's very easy to get into.

28% acceptance rate says otherwise.

28% acceptance rate says otherwise.
If you can get in Liberty after being turned down at CoC, App State, UNC-A, and Ga. Southern, it's not hard. Much, much easier than USC, Clemson, Furman, Wofford, Winthrop, and many, many other schools. Just had a friend get his PhD from Liberty and was turned down pretty much everywhere else closer.

Reactions: okccock
He will probably get in somewhere else and torch us for 185 yards

Ivy League schools do not offer athletic or academic scholarships. You can receive financial aid, but only based on the student's financial need and approval from the Financial Aid office

Reactions: rogue cock
All of the talk about academics, and I guess he isn't making significant progress in that area. At least it was said that he faced an uphill challenge. But as far as getting into different schools. A vast difference between Marshall and a lot of other schools as far as general population goes. But for athletes? Not a lot of difference, if any. As long as they get through the clearing House they are usually good to go. Granted, that some of these kids getting into major universities through athletics is a joke from an academic standpoint. But it is a business move to bring in the cash that the major sports can bring

Reactions: rogue cock
Well it seems that North Carolina set the standard for how to make sure kids are eligible. A few fake classes and the GPA should be fine. Just make sure that at least one non-athlete takes the course too.

Reactions: lawcalcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT