ADVERTISEMENT

No fans allowed at any SEC home athletic events March 12-30? Stupid!

Let’s hope it is an overreaction. But if it’s not, this is the prudent course of action. This things seems to be highly contagious. 70 folks from one conference in Massachusetts come away with the virus. Large crowds don’t seem very appealing to me right now, especially indoors.

Tom Hanks and his wife have it. Luckily he is in Australia and was able to get quickly tested. In the US, it would have been much more unlikely they would have been tested (yet).

Tell me what sense it makes to let the players play in a basketball game where they sweat all over each other, but thank the lord they brought in some disinfectant for the locker room and basketballs. Its completely insane.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Tell me what sense it makes to let the players play in a basketball game where they sweat all over each other, but thank the lord they brought in some disinfectant for the locker room and basketballs. Its completely insane.

My guess is that it’s because people are stupid. Not the ones who made the decision but the people who would go to the game because “I’m sick but it’s probably not contagious and I’m not gonna miss this game.” Admit it, you’ve done this or know someone who has. The players’ health is more closely monitored and if one of them gets sick it’s easier to contain.

My guess is that it’s because people are stupid. Not the ones who made the decision but the people who would go to the game because “I’m sick but it’s probably not contagious and I’m not gonna miss this game.” Admit it, you’ve done this or know someone who has. The players’ health is more closely monitored and if one of them gets sick it’s easier to contain.

I believe folks who have the virus can go a couple weeks before manifesting any symptoms. So, you don’t have to be stupid to inadvertently pass it on, just infected.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
That may be true but I stand by what I said. Don’t tell me you’ve never attended a crowded event where people were coughing and/or visibly ill. It’s a “me first” world and canceling events is the best way to keep people safe.

That may be true but I stand by what I said. Don’t tell me you’ve never attended a crowded event where people were coughing and/or visibly ill. It’s a “me first” world and canceling events is the best way to keep people safe.

Several years ago I went to a Brian Regan show and this gal in front of me coughed from start to finish. I kid you not when I say that she never went more than 30 seconds without coughing. It was so inconsiderate to everyone around her, not only because she may have had something that was catching, but it made the show much less enjoyable. To this day I hate that woman, and I hope she had something serious but didn't give it to anyone else.

CANCEL all Events, Keep everyone in their homes!!
giphy.gif

They're also young and bit in danger. Older people in the stands are the ones they're looking out for.

Heath had a solid take on this yesterday. Basically he said let’s hope the folks bad mouthing the extreme caution being taken regarding this virus are right. I am one of them- since the start of the outbreak I have said it all seems to all be a huge overreaction... but his point was this- let’s hope we look back a few months/weeks/years? from now and this has all blown over and the people saying it is BS are able to puff their chest out and say “see I told ya so, I was so smart and every health expert in the world was wrong”... Because that will mean the outbreak was relatively mild. *However keep in mind that there will be no way of knowing if the severity of the spread was substantially diminished by these actions being taken to control it. People are going to thump their chest and act as though the mindless political ideology they are parroting as though it is their own opinion was right all along... IF this thing goes away with a whimper. Let’s hope that is the case, because as obnoxious as those people are becoming as they keep looking the other way and scoffing at the response to a virus infecting hundreds of thousands worldwide and killing thousands at a much higher percentage than the flu or other common illnesses... letting those people (again people like ME) think they (WE) were right all along is wayyyyy better than the alternative- which is an outbreak infecting/killing MILLIONS. The alternative is that this abundance of caution is somehow still not enough to contain it and it turns into that worst case scenario... He is correct. So, I hope this is all a major overreaction and we can look back and laugh at the freak out later.

but, before you discount the potential severity of this thing at least realize that this is not all being done on a whim. There are experts who have devoted their lives to studying this type of disease who have recommended this action... and at the risk of sounding political, even DONALD TRUMP just did a complete 180 on how he was reacting to it. After meeting with medical experts THE DON changed his mind about something... Let that sink in. The most obtuse man to ever hold a political office who touts himself as the overriding expert on everything... Just in one day went from laughing it off and scoffing at the panic, implying it was all a hoax... To SHUTTING DOWN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL TO EUROPE. I know what is driving this mindset of laughing off the panic, it is people politicizing this event and toeing the conservative party line that this is all some liberal witch hunt to make the Don look bad in an election year. Yeah, well even Trump just changed his tune on it. The man we voted for- I VOTED FOR HIM before you think I am a liberal attacking conservatives... I voted for Donald Trump. I am ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE who said all along it was overblown BS.. I am not attacking anyone for believing that. I am saying- whatever your personal reason for ignoring the danger here... It might be time to take a second look, and realize this is not political. This is about survival and this virus does not care if you are rich or poor or blue or red...

I am not going to go panic buy Purell and toilet paper. I am not going to build a bunker in my back yard... But I am becoming increasingly concerned. There are about 5 suspected cases in KERSHAW COUNTY. My kid lives with her Mom in Luggoff during the time I do not have her- that IS IN KERSHAW. I live in Columbia. It is here. Schools WILL close. HERE. Jobs WILL send people home. HERE. What we saw happen yesterday is just the beginning. It is about to get real. So you can cross your arms and say “harumph” all you want, but this is out of hand already.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT