ADVERTISEMENT

No NIT season over .*

More time to recruit. Not recruiting enough while over-disciplining is what got us into this mess. We can fix the recruiting part - and we had better.

Pretty good indication of the lack of respect for this program, just one year removed from the Final Four. Y'all remember that the next time your're tempted to think that we are held in any kind of esteem as a school or a program.

Reactions: sadd66 and 92Pony
More time to recruit. Not recruiting enough while over-disciplining is what got us into this mess. We can fix the recruiting part - and we had better.

Pretty good indication of the lack of respect for this program, just one year removed from the Final Four. Y'all remember that the next time your're tempted to think that we are held in any kind of esteem as a school or a program.

17-16...SC earned their "lack of respect" this year.

Too bad. Carolina had the credentials to make the cut. I refuse to chalk this up to anti-Gamecock bias or lack of respect for the program. That’s a loser’s mentality.

The NIT didn’t count the Div II win, thus the record is .500. No winning season, no post-season play.

This will motivate Martin & Co in 2018-19.

17-16...SC earned their "lack of respect" this year.
Well, the NIT people saw how we crapped the bed at home in their tournament two years a go with a team that was off-the-charts better than this one. If there were any pushes, they weren't going to us. We probably needed at least two more wins to squeeze in.

Reactions: brianlafe

After thornwell and Dozer, Martin hasn't recruited well at all.

Well, the NIT people saw how we crapped the bed at home in their tournament two years a go with a team that was off-the-charts better than this one. If there were any pushes, they weren't going to us. We probably needed at least two more wins to squeeze in.

those people that choose the teams, dont take in consideration what SC, did 2 years ago...they dont care what 32 teams did in the past when making the selections

After thornwell and Dozer, Martin hasn't recruited well at all.
That - and keeping Felder on the bench all year almost certainly kept us home, and that's without considering what some of the BB boys might have done for us. Basically, we haven't recruited lights out and excluded much of what we did recruit.

Reactions: sadd66
That - and keeping Felder on the bench all year almost certainly kept us home, and that's without considering what some of the BB boys might have done for us. Basically, we haven't recruited lights out and excluded much of what we did recruit.
Totally agree ,if Felder was cleared to play let him play.

Reactions: king ward
SC is 2-4 against Clemson under Frank Martin
We beat them up there two seasons ago. We played them last year with our best player not participating and went on make the Final Four, an achievement at which they have not sniffed. So it's safe to posit that we were ahead of them then. Why did we let a decidedly non-basketball school pass us this decisively this soon in the wake of that?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The bottom line for this team was:
1. Losing Dozier and Felder
2. Losing too many close games (win 5 more sec games that were near losses and there’s enough quality wins to get in)

SC is 2-4 against Clemson under Frank Martin
We played them last year with our best player not participating and went on make the Final Four, an achievement at which they have not sniffed. So it's safe to posit that we were ahead of them then. Why did we let a decidedly non-basketball school pass us this decisively this soon in the wake of that?

SC has gone 2-4 head to head against Clemson in the last 6 years...in my world that i live in.... that means Clemson is better than SC, on average in basketball for the last 6 years

Reactions: jeff2001
SC has gone 2-4 head to head against Clemson in the last 6 years...in my world that i live in.... that means Clemson is better than SC, on average in basketball for the last 6 years
We beat them up there two seasons ago before losing at home to them without our best player last year and going to the Final Four. Any reasonable critical assessment of where we were at the end of last season would have us ahead of them over the period I'm speaking of. So I'm asking, why did we allow this amount of slippage vis-a-vis them in this intervening time?

Last edited:
The 2017-18 Gamecocks lost 70% of it's scoring, 60% of it's rebounding and 80% of it's assists from last season. That's tough to overcome.

Carolina has now experienced (as hard as this is to believe) four straight winning seasons - the most consecutive winning seasons since the McGuire era, when Carolina had winning seasons during the final 14 of McGuire's 16 seasons (1968-1980). The 15th and final season in that stretch was Bill Foster's first season at Carolina (1980-81), when USC went 17-10, lead by Zam Fredrick's National Scoring Champion effort. Ironically, that 17 win team also missed out on the NIT.

Winning more in November would have been great. Avoiding a six game losing streak in February would have been better. But Carolina made some noise this season against a greatly improved SEC slate.

I like the general direction of Coach Martin's program. Let's not forget what he inherited when he took this program over following the Horn era.

Looking for a fifth consecutive winning season next year, and a return to the NCAA.

Last edited:
If you think they're better than us in basketball, take a peek at how they've dominated us in baseball lately.

If you think they're better than us in basketball, take a peek at how they've dominated us in baseball lately.

The self-loathing on this board is breath-taking.

Clemson has won the last three series ('15, '16, '16) 2-1. Carolina last took the series in 2014, when they swept, 3-0. Prior to that, Carolina had not lost a regular season series to Clemson since 2010. And in that season, if you will recall, Carolina ousted Clemson 2-0 in Omaha, working through the losers bracket for the second time in eight years (2002).

What Carolina did to Clemson in Omaha in 2002 and 2010 is the very definition of domination. Clemson has not swept a series since 1996 (June Raines final season).

Believe me, Clemson isn't interested in comparing baseball results over the past two decades.

Reactions: atl-cock
The self-loathing on this board is breath-taking.

Clemson has won the last three series ('15, '16, '16) 2-1. Carolina last took the series in 2014, when they swept, 3-0. Prior to that, Carolina had not lost a regular season series to Clemson since 2010. And in that season, if you will recall, Carolina ousted Clemson 2-0 in Omaha, working through the losers bracket for the second time in eight years (2002).

What Carolina did to Clemson in Omaha in 2002 and 2010 is the very definition of domination. Clemson has not swept a series since 1996 (June Raines final season).

Believe me, Clemson isn't interested in comparing baseball results over the past two decades.
2014 is a long time ago, hell those Omaha memories seem forever ago. The fact that they've won the series 3 years in a row is telling and should be a wake up call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT